Sunday, December 10, 2000

Mountain Tops and Valleys


10 Dec, 2000

Dear Ted & Phyllis,

It’s Sunday again, and although we are separated by another two time zones I still have the joy of sitting down with my laptop and enjoy some more fellowship with you. Today I am in Bangkok. In my letter last week I said I was going out and trust the Lord to provide the contacts necessary for this mission I feel the Lord has sent me on. Thursday I believe I met one of these “angels”. There are some men here in Bangkok who reportedly know exactly where the Americans are that I am interested in seeing in Laos. Until I meet them I am virtually helpless to move. While waiting to meet them I am staying at the C&MA Guest House in Bangkok. Thursday night I was sitting down in the lounge and struck up a conversation with an Asian man sitting there. He seemed very unimpressive simply saying he was an American working with minorities in Thailand. But as the conversation progressed I was amazed at the breadth of overlapping interest and various place we had both been. Finally I asked, “What are you?”, and he replied he was Hmong from Laos. As I queried him more I was astonished at the people he knew and places he had been. Virtually every legend I had heard or book I had read on Laos he either knew or had worked with them. He had been in the village where I took the Japanese team to take Bibles to the Hmongs in northwest Vietnam last year and knew the pastor we delivered them to. He has traveled extensively the breadth of Laos and is probably more experienced in what I have in mind than any other person in the world. I told him of my interest in the American POWs and he confirmed that he too had heard many such stories about the existence of these men. I asked him if an elephant would be an feasible mode of transportation he said it might be possible to hire an elephant but didn’t recommend it as the paths are too narrow for an elephant to get through. When I suggested a horse he said that was hands down the best shot. He told me that he has ridden a horse over many hundreds of kilos within Laos and Vietnam and recommend this approach. He said as a Hmong born and raised in Laos he knew that language, Laotian, some Vietnamese, as well as Thai and English. And as a Hmong he was able to travel around the country from village to village, but almost always traveled at night to avoid soldiers. Apparently there is a network of places where he has stayed in various villages sleeping in day and traveling at night. After talking with him my little venture seems considerably more like a reality and he suggested some ways that may be effective in getting past check points. He also said he lives in Chiang Mai, which is my second home here and I know generally where his house is. We promised to get together later as I get up there and it looks like he will be an invaluable asset in pursuing this mission. When I met him I was nearly speechlessly awed in encountering what seems to be God’s key appointment.

While I was talking with the Hmong brother in the lounge of the Guest House a call came for me from the key man that will introduce me to the fellows that know where the Americans are. This was a very strategic call as he travels a great deal and is difficult to locate. He had just gotten back an hour before then. He said the men I am to meet won’t be available for several more days which gives me some extra time in this part of Thailand.

In the mean time I am enjoying the life of a tourist in Thailand. Two years ago I got on a plane for Bangkok on my way to Vietnam with virtually no contacts except the name and phone number of the fellow we ship Bibles to in Thailand. I called him the first morning I was here but that meeting turned out to be a dud. He did suggest an International Church to attend on Sunday. I got the name and address of that church and went back to my hotel and asked the girl at the desk if she knew that address. She replied, “Yes, right across the street.” From there I got plugged into the system that ultimately introduced me to the underground church in Vietnam but I never got back for a Sunday service. But this morning I went over there and enjoyed their Christmas program. It seems strange to celebrate a Christmas program in the tropics with the temperature over 90 degrees outside.

As we were going over to the church we were talking in the taxi about the expectation of the appearance of the Messiah. The wife of the Guest House manager said, “The Jews were waiting for their Messiah to come and I remarked, “Yes, but He came in a way that no one would have ever believed. It was totally different than what they expected.” Then I thought the only ones who had their theology straight were the priests who could tell Herod exactly where Christ was to be born – but they didn’t go. The ones who knew the least about theology – the shepherds – were the first ones on the scene. How true this is today. I still subscribe to sound theology, but I vividly recall a remark Rollie Reasoner made in a message in Karuizawa, “We have our theories, but I believe God will have His surprises.” Has this not been our experience so far? Jesus said, “In an hour when you think not…”; and I believe we could add, “In a way that we think not”. The tedium of life wears us down. Day after day rolls on uninterrupted and we feel we are captives in the current of life being swept along to our predetermined end. But then the Lord startles us with some unexpected turn of events that radically alters our lives. It is good to remember that these little steps we take each day in the execution of daily living are the necessary strides that carry us to these major mile stone events, and they are all ordered of God.
 
Even Moses found it necessary to remind the people of his day, “The Lord thy god hath blessed thee in all the works of thy hand: He knoweth thy walking through this great wilderness: these forty years the Lord thy God hath been with thee: thou hast lacked nothing.”(Deut. 2:7). Is it not true that we can add our hearty Amen to that? It was amazing that they got up every morning and could see that Cloud abiding over the tabernacle and yet as soon as Moses was out of sight they said, “The man that brought us up out of Egypt, we don’t know what has happened to him. Make us gods…” (Ex. 32:1). And every day they could see that Cloud; every day they gathered that manna; and every day they drank that Water – and after two years they said, “Because the Lord hated us He brought us out here to destroy us” (Deut. 1:27). When I was a young Christian I wouldn’t have believed it, but 43 years later I am beginning to realize that I am not much better. We have far more than the Jews of Moses day. We have the historical finished work of Christ on the Cross; we have the very Spirit of Christ living in our hearts; we enjoy the witness of the Spirit (Rom. 8:16; Gal. 4:6; 1Jn. 5:9); we have the written Word of God; we have the testimonies of tens of thousands who have walked with the Lord over the centuries; and we have decades of personal experience proving the faithfulness of God: and yet I have still sat down with those dumb Jews and said the same blasphemous things accusing God of having it in for me. How often do I need to remind myself that Jesus is still here. Those tangible proofs of the presence of God were so common place to the Jews that they lost their significance; and all the benefits of our salvation get old too.

Of course the hardest part of our journey is the valleys. The mountain tops are exhilarating but the valleys area probably the most important. It is here that He has assured us “Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death I will fear no evil: for Thou art with me…” (Ps. 23:4). Thank God, for a Christian there is no such thing as “death”. Jesus said, “He that believeth in Me shall never die.” (Jn. 11:26). Jesus also added, “Do you believe this?” Praise God, we can say from our hearts, “Yes, I believe that is true.” For a Christian all this is is a shadow but not the real thing. Is it not a fact that Jesus has given us eternal life? Do we not have the assurance that this Life is real and present? How in the world can someone die that has eternal life? These are realities that we must remind ourselves daily and renew our confidence every morning when we open our eyes for another days trek.

But one other advantage is what we find in Song of Solomon “Who is this that cometh up from the wilderness, leaning upon her Beloved?” (S. of S. 8:5). It is not until we get to chapter 8 that we see that. For all the desire and zeal of the earlier chapters – and even in 3:6 where see a similar scene of a procession coming out of the wilderness – we still don’t see anything about leaning until we come to chapter 8. In the early years, in spite of all of our good theology and good personal preaching, there wasn’t much leaning. It isn’t until our feet are too sore to walk much further, and our strength is too far spent, that we begin to “walk leaning”. Isn’t that great! Thank God for any problem that drives us to Christ!     

 Gomen for my sermonizing. I don’t mean to be boring and I know you could write me this letter far more effectively than I can write you. I write as one that is trailing far behind and talk about the things that you live. But these are things I must remind myself and try to keep up following your footprints.

I’ll probably be able to write one or two more letters and then I hope to be in Laos where I will have a chance to walk a little bit in a shadow. If Christ will be with me it doesn’t get much safer than that. My love and prayers are with you daily:



                                                                                                                 In Christ,

No comments:

Post a Comment