Sunday, August 12, 2001

Nobuko and her Grandmother


12 Aug, 2001

Dear Phyllis,

Here we are again. Yesterday was the 50th Anniversary of Matsubarako Bible Camp. About a month ago, when Millie Dennis and her children were here, I took them over there just for something to do. That was the first time in 30 years that I had been there. A Japanese pastor came over to introduce himself as the director and we really hit it off big time. When he learned that I had made the beams for the chapel and had been in and out of Matsubarako for the years that I had been in Karuizawa he extended a very earnest invitation to attend the anniversary celebration. How my heart was fill with mixed emotion. This younger brother, Tsujiura sensei, had no way of knowing the years of turmoil I had been through and I was pointless to try to explain such an unpleasant testimony. I hoped that would be all, but Wednesday morning he called here to confirm whether or not I would attend. Mattaku komatta! Matsubarako Bible Camp is the child of John Schone. He and Phyllis Chamberlain had been the driving force for years. Of course they have been off the field for nearly 15 years, but John and Lucia and Phyllis were coming back for the celebration. We had lived and worked together more of less harmoniously in Karuizawa for over 15 years but the close of my time there had been marred by some very unfortunate conflict. It had been a particular bitter experience for all of us and I didn’t relish the thought of seeing them again. Poor Tsujiura sensei must have been confused but I had to tell him that I was planning on not attending (ikanai tsumori). When I hung up I wondered why the Lord keeps digging up the old bones of past unresolved wounds.

Roald is a very busy man but I took the liberty to ask if he had time to be a personal counselor. Only a real big man would take the time out to listen to my confusing story. He, naturally, suggested, “Itte ii jainai ka?” (Wouldn’t it be good to go?). Then he accurately reminded me that it might be a good idea to apologize to John and Phyllis. That rang a bell in my heart and made sense. I decided that the Lord would have me to go up to apologize.

Every Thursday night, the brother who is in charge of the plant here and I have a little prayer meeting, and that night I shared with Nishizawa san my nayami about attending the Matsubarako celebration. He was totally baffled how I could hold hard feelings for over 20 years. Strangely, after a reasonably good time of prayer I decided it would be in the best interest of the 50th anniversary if I blessed them with my absence, but wrote a letters to John and Phyllis. I really hadn’t been that involved with Matsubarako and felt it would be unfair to John and Phyllis if I showed up on this auspicious occasion to share in the glory of it’s accomplishment. I sent my letters up by another brother who works here and sent a copy to Tsujiura sensei to explain to him my strange behavior. Roald and Nishizawa were bewildered by my guidance, but – in retrospect – I really feel that I had done the right thing. Heaven will be wonderful when we get all these ugly old wounds cleared up and have real fellowship in Christ, but our walk on this dusty planet is occasionally disrupted by the blemishes of our old nature.

Last month, when I got back from SEA, I was riding the train in from Narita and got to talking to an ojii san next to me who had a terrific background with Christian friends but wasn’t saved. I had one of the best times in years witnessing to him. There was a gal that looked like a kokosei (high school girl) sitting on the other side of him and I was talking loud enough so she could take it all in also. Just before we came to her eki she piped up in English that she too was a Christian. As she was getting off I hollered at her, “Please send me an E-mail. My address is billcook@gol.com. To my amazement several days later I did get a letter from her that has led to an amazing contact. Yesterday she had invited me over to her home in east Tokyo to meet her mom and grandmother. She said they were Christians but I wasn’t prepared for the unusual testimony her grandmother came up with.

About 13 years ago her grandmother had a great desire to find God and wound up going to the Jehovah Witnesses. After several months she decided that that didn’t sound right and went to a Niki church (liberal). She got sprinkled and heard a little more of the Gospel. After explaining that to me she asked if I had ever heard of a village near Karuizawa called, Miyota. Then she fumbled around to say that there was a German missionary, Gotthold Beck, that had a large Christian center up there. She was startled when I told her that I had been very close with Gotthold for 40 years and used to practically live in Kichijoji when Gotthold was just starting out. Then I told her that I had been one of the two American carpenters that built the guesthouse where she had stayed. Man howdy, did that light a fire! It was fun to talk to the little girl I met on the train and I enjoyed her mother, but grandma and I really had a furious time of fellowship. She is a classic illustration of the work of the Holy Spirit as she told of her journey in search of God and the intense joy she has in the Lord now going to the Kichijoji meetings in Ichikawa. The little girl, Nobuko, had come into a living relationship three years ago when she was in the States (I was stunned when she told me she was 31), and had gotten in with the Bible Baptists. She and her mother were going to a Church of Christ church in Ochanomizu and was a little confused by her grandmother’s religion. I told Nobuko that my home church in the States was Baptist and I knew all those missionaries. I also told her that I had worked with a large number of Church of Christ missionaries over the years. I was at their house for seven hours but the time seemed like ten minutes. What a tiny tiny world we live in! Somehow I feel that the Lord has given me an important unusual contact with this family.

I trust things are going well for you. The closer we get to the City the more transient time seems. It will only be just a brief moment and it will all be over and then we will wonder what all the fuss was about and why we shed so many tears on our way. In retrospect, we will see what amazing things the Lord was doing for us when we thought things were the worst. How we will be ashamed at our unworthy thoughts and groanings! Truly our God has chosen the finest path for us for our good and His glory.

My love and prayers are with you daily.

                                                                                             In our faithful Lord Jesus, bill

No comments:

Post a Comment