Sunday, October 19, 2008

Back to Jerusalem Encor


19 October 2008

Dear Phyllis,

I just got home from speaking at a Thai church this morning. I have visited that church about four times and I believe this was the second time I had spoken there. I had asked the pastor for the opportunity to share with them the Back to Jerusalem Movement message. Ordinarily there would be about a 30 to 40 minute slot to speak, but I warned him that I didn’t think I could squeeze it in that short a time. In order to give me a maximum amount of time they cancelled the Sunday School/Bible hour at 9:30 and said I could have two hours combining the two services. Fortunately it wasn’t all just an oral thunder storm; they did sing a couple of songs at the beginning of both services and had a 10 or 15 minute break between the Bible hour and the worship service; but I was embarrassed that I started speaking slightly after 9:30 and it was nearly 12:30 when I finally sat down. Three hours is the longest Sunday morning message I have ever given. Even then I had to cut my message short, and left out a great deal of things I wanted to say. I was hoping to quit by 12:00 o’clock, but when the hands were pointing to 12:00 there still was a great deal of very essential things needed to covered. At one point the interpreter broke down in tears and couldn’t speak. She had to call on Scott to help her out, and even he was struggling to get the words out. It has been a long time since I have seen that kind of presence in a service. I probably could have gone on until 1:00, but I felt I had pushed the limit of grace by running half an hour over the usual 12:00 o’clock limit.

I know I have written to you about the Back to Jerusalem message before, but there is nothing that burns in my heart more intensely. I passionately believe it. To me it is one of the most irrefutable messages in the Bible. There are three reasons why I am so adamantly convinced of its accuracy.

The first is the testimony of nature. Every morning since the first day at the dawn of creation God has spoken to the world that His movement is from east to west; as the sun, moon, and stars all follow the same path every day. Because of the rotation of the earth God has settled in nature that everything moves in that direction.

The second major reason is the testimony of Scripture. In doing a little preparation for this message, I was again amazed at the number of references in Scripture all testifying that God’s direction is from east to west. Of course, I can’t share in a few sentences what it took over two hours to orally cover this morning. But one of the major proofs is the layout of the OT Tabernacle and Temple. It is obvious that the direction the priest had to travel everyday when they came before the Lord was to enter the east side and proceed heading west. The Holy of Holies was, of course, on the back or the west side of the Tabernacle.

And it is equally clear that the Scripture points out that the devils direction is the opposite. In Ezek. 8:16 we see where the Lord showed Ezekiel what was going on in the Temple with the men with their backs to the Lord facing east worshiping the sun. How insulting! Turing their backs to the Lord and worshiping the sun (Ez. 8:16)! I said, “God’s movement has always been from east to west, but the devil moves from west to east. Today the biggest problem in America is New Age, which is nothing but Eastern religion infiltrating America. The devil has brought this to America from the Orient.” I was stunned when I was in Nebraska last December to learn that it is illegal to sell horses to slaughter houses now.  Animal rights people have closed that down. You can’t kill a horse in the slaughter house, but millions of babies are slaughtered in abortion clinics. America is rapidly becoming like India where animals are more important that human life.

The third proof of the Back to Jerusalem movement is church history. This is the argument that enflames me the most. Incontestably the Gospel has moved exactly as the Lord promised beginning first at Jerusalem and them progressing to the uttermost part of the earth (Acts 1:8). The book of Acts traces the Gospel from Jerusalem to Rome. It was largely dormant in Rome from the end of the second century until the time of the Reformation under Luther in Germany. The great heralds of the Gospel for 100 years were the Moravians, who set the example from which the present missionary movement sprang. At one time they had more missionaries going out than the ones who stayed home. But then in the early 18th century the Gospel moved from Europe to England, where England became the custodians for the next 200 years. Around the early part of the 20th century we saw the Gospel move from England across the Atlantic to America. For most of the 20th century America stepped forward to be the driving engine of the Gospel. For many years America was famous for carrying the vast burden of sending out missionaries and funding missions world wide.

Then in 1970 we saw something unprecedented when the Gospel jumped the Pacific Rim to Korea. What has happened in Korea is amazing. I was there in the late 1950s when Korea was still an utterly devastated country from the Korean War. Today Korea is a highly prosperous country that has moved forward to being #1 world wide as the greatest missionary sending nation. Of course, America is larger, but per capita, Korea has moved ahead of America to where America is now #2.

But the phenomenon that just astounds me is China. I remember in the 1960s we thought the Cultural Revolution in China had totally extinguished the faintest flicker of the Gospel in China. But now we see that from those ashes the Lord has raised up a church in China that probably exceeds anything that the Apostles saw in the 1st century. I probably would not be as intense about this subject, but through my relationship with New Life League I have seen, first hand, what is going on in China. I have personally seen thousands of tons of Bibles flow out of Japan to China. And the cry is as desperate as ever. There is a movement of the Spirit of God in China today like this planet has never seen. Clearly the hottest place on this planet for the Gospel today is China.

And the Chinese brethren feel commissioned of God to take it the rest of the way headed west, back to Jerusalem.

Of course, the great obstacle standing in the way for the Chinese to carry the Gospel back to Jerusalem is the 10-40 window. The 10-40 window is that portion of the globe located between the 10th and the 40th northern latitude. And running east and west from China to the Middle East. It is in the 10-40 window that the Islamic nations lie. Historically, Islam has been the greatest resistance that has ever existed against the Gospel. There is no question about what the Lord is doing toady. Muslim is easily the most major problem in all western countries. It is hardly necessary to comment on the prominence of that problem in America today. It is the most serious problem in Europe. It is the number one problem in Thailand where there is fighting going on in southern Thailand every day. It is a huge problem in the Philippines, Indonesia, and many other countries. The Muslim extremists in western China were the biggest headache for the Chinese government during the recent Olympics. Muslim extremism is the greatest threat to the world today. But I believe the reason for that is because God has the Islamic world in His cross hairs. We are going to see a move of the Spirit of God in the Muslim nations such as this world has never seen. And I believe this is on God’s agenda for the very near future.

Gomen nasai, Phyllis. I didn’t mean to talk about this today. Actually I had a totally different subject in mind, but my mind is so enflamed by what the Lord had to say us today that it takes discipline not to pound on my computer. I nearly smashed the pulpit and the white board as I was talking for three hours this morning. There is no question – these are the days! These are the days spoken of by the prophets. And it is our unutterable privilege to live in these times to see the dramatic move of the Spirit of God as the tsunami of the Gospel moves ever westward. Phyllis, I am sorry. I am sorry for repeating myself. I know you have heard this all before, but this message so engages me that I was nearly standing on the pulpit shouting this morning. And now I haven’t shared 1/10th of what we discussed this morning.

It can’t be long from here. Jesus will be here soon. Looking forward to seeing you then.

                                               bill

PS: I am going to Laos tomorrow and may not be back next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment