Sunday, November 2, 2008

Holding It!


2 November 2008

Dear Phyllis,

I’m home. You probably guessed that already. My trip to Laos last week was truly a historic one, but the trip home proved to be unusual also. I have traveled so much on night busses that I have thought about putting a vibrator on the bed in my bedroom because I sleep better on moving objects than on a still platform. But this last trip was different.

I really felt marvelous during my 1,000 km ride in northern Laos, but Monday morning, as I was getting ready to head back to Thailand, when I went to the bathroom, I felt a sensation that was disturbing. Forty four years ago, when I was doing house to house dendo (evangelism) in Mei-ken (prefecture) I collapsed with shot kidneys. I had been trying to teach myself to live like the man who trained his horse to live on fresh air and exercise. He cut back on the hay a little bit every day until he finally got the horse trained. Unfortunately, after all that effort, the horse died. That is what I had been doing for nearly a year previous, and I was very proud that I could get by on so little – until I collapsed. Shortly after that I found myself in the states for a medical furlough. I had some painful moments passing blood. Urologists in the states told me that I had a kidney disorder from which I would never recover. Jesus healed me, and I have been in disgustingly good health ever since. But Monday morning I felt an uncomfortable sensation that was an indicator of a bladder problem.

I got back to Thailand shortly after noon and took the bus down to Udorn Thani where I get the night bus back to Chiang Mai. I asked for a VIP bus, but the gal selling tickets said all they had that night was a 2nd class bus with no toilet. The price is considerably cheaper, and I have ridden 2nd class busses many times. I was a little concerned about an emergency on a bus with no toilet, but I knew it stopped every two hours and thought I could tough it out.

I had to do some shopping in Udorn Thani, and went to the huge shopping center at Central. Unfortunately the calls to the rest room were getting more frequent, and I was having a problem with leaking. I thought, it’s ridiculous, but the only thing I could think of to alleviate that situation was to buy some sanitary pads. I thought, this is stupid; I’m a 72 year old male, and this is the first time I have ever worn one of these dumb things, and I didn’t know how to put one in my pants. And then the terrifying scenario kept plaguing me, “What in the world can I do on an overcrowded bus with no toilet, when I can’t wait two minutes?” The only thing I could think of was to use a bottle. Modesty doesn’t apply in that situation. I bought a bottle of tea for the sole purpose of using the bottle and put it in my bag.

 When I got back to the northern bus terminal, the situation was getting serious. There are two competing bus lines 50 meters apart and I went the other company to see if they had a VIP bus. Yes, they did. I canceled the ticket I had for the 2nd class bus and paid a huge difference to get a seat on a VIP bus with a toilet. Man howdy, I got my moneys worth out of that!

We hadn’t been moving too long before the situation got totally out of control. I had absolutely zero control. My pants were getting very wet with it running down my leg. And then I started passing serious blood. That was the worst I had been since my problem in 1964.I thought the only way I could stay ahead of the curve was to try to preempt the call to the rest room, and started going to the toilet every 15 minutes – with blood at each visit. Then my body went bonkers. For an hour my whole body shook like I was having a severe chill. I thought, “Oh my goodness, this is going to be a ling night.” But by midnight the visits to the toilet got stretched out to an hour. And from 3:00 until 6:00 AM I was down to three hours. During the long night, I kept quoting Ps. 103:1-3; “Bless the Lord oh my soul… Who healeth all thy diseases…”.  “Lord Jesus, thank You for healing this problem.”

When I got off the bus in Chiang Mai the next morning I really felt quite well. Friends advised, “You had better go to the hospital to have that checked, and get some medicine.” I replied, “That is pointless. Jesus has healed me and I feel fine.” I really felt that I was completely healed, but I noticed that day that I was still spotting a little blood. Back to the sanitary pad. The only complaint I had Tuesday night was that I was shot. I didn’t feel like going anywhere, and went to bed around 9:00. I thought I got a pretty good nights sleep except I woke up very early, and had to go to the bathroom. I was shocked when I looked at the clock to see it was only 10:00 PM. The next time I woke up it was 11:00 and then 12:00.  But then there was only one more time before I got up at 5:00 to stay up. By Thursday all burning sensation was gone and my plumbing is working now better than it has in years. Praise the Lord, I am healed!

Perhaps I shouldn’t be embarrassed, but there is quite a stack of cabinet work waiting for me. I wonder if the Apostle Paul had to balance his ministry with orders for tents. The fact that he worked with Aquila and Priscilla would indicate that they had some sort of a business going (Acts 18:2). I thank the Lord for giving me a very fine shop with some excellent tools. It is a great privilege to be able to work with my hands in a trade that I greatly enjoy. Unlike Paul, I don’t make any money. Actually I almost always work for a significant loss. Of course, my work is free, but I also pay for a lot of the material that I use. I wouldn’t spend so much time doing cabinet work except the Lord has given me very little ministry. I seldom preach more than once a month somewhere. That is not a real heavy schedule. I do go to the ladies prison each week and have some ministry there. Recently the Lord has given me a Bible study on Friday night. But that still leaves a great deal of time to be filled up with something; and the thing the Lord has provided is my hammer. The girls next door have asked me to make a fairly large kitchen cabinet. Lord willing I will get that done early this week. Then I have a large order for about a dozen bunk beds for Dave Eubanks. That will keep me going probably through December.

Several weeks ago I met a German man who teaches at Mae Jo University, in this town. The Lord had miraculously healed him of debilitating migraine headaches, but he said he didn’t know the Lord. I asked, “Would you like to know the Lord?”

“Yes.”

“If you are serious, let’s get together each week for a Bible study.”

When I first met Mannford I felt he was about 2/3 saved. The first night we met to study the Scripture I gave him a 3/4-saved rating. But the next night when I asked him if he had been reading his Bible, he argumentatively said, “No! A person could read the Bible all their life and still walk far from God. I don’t need to read the Bible.” I was so mad I nearly closed my Bible and went home. I replied, “Yes, a person can read the Bible and be far from God, but it is impossible to walk close to God and not feed daily on the Word of God.” That  night he got less than a half-saved rating. But then the next two nights his stock has soared again. We meet at Scott and Kay’s home with several others. Scott had recently given Mannford a new English Bible. Last Friday night Scott asked him, “How do you like your new Bible?” Mannford replied, “I don’t like my Bible – I LOVE IT!” With that I stood up to shake hands with him, and hugged him. Oh, praise God! If the Lord opens this man’s eyes and draws him to Himself, Mannford might be just saved enough to be a child of God.

Some people wonder at my weird theology, but I make no apology for it. In Japan salvation is not that black and white. Sometimes it takes years before we can really be confident that someone is really saved. God knows who is born of His Spirit and who isn’t, but from our perspective the line isn’t that clear. Sometimes, from our perspective, it looks like a gradual process.

Secondly, Watchman Nee said that there is a difference between salvation and our citizenship in heaven. Being born of the Spirit of God makes us a child of God and gets us into heaven, but salvation refers more to our experience here on this earth. Being saved from sin is just as important as being saved from hell. The very Name given Him by the angel refers to His primary work – “Thou shalt call His Name Jesus: for He shall save His people from their SINS.” (Mt. 1:21). If Jesus doesn’t save us from our sins, it is questionable how much we can count on being saved from hell. AW Tozer used to talk about the “half-saved cowboy evangelist”. He was right. There are some who are evangelistic and yet so worldly, and marginal in their walk with the Lord, you wonder how saved they really are.

But Mannford is coming right along. Other than that it has been a somewhat uneventful week. But Jesus has been with me and I am in excellent health.

 Praise God!

                              bill

No comments:

Post a Comment