2 May 2010
The Thai’s attitude to rain
while riding a motor bike is more or less to ignore it. A couple of years ago I
was riding my Honda up to Burma in the summer. I knew I was going to get wet, so I
took my rain gear. When I saw rain in front of me I stopped and put my rain gear
on. But then I noticed that very few others were wearing rain gear. I got so
tired of putting it on and off every twenty minutes, I finally joined the crowd
and just got wet. No big problem as you will dry off in about the same time.
Last night, coming home from work, I rode through heavy rain. I was soaked to
the skin when I got home. But it was Saturday and I was going to wash my
clothes anyway, so I just wore them in the shower to wash them.
Several months ago I was preaching
in the local Thai church and had a bad time. I really felt bad when I sat down.
I make no apology for what I said. I am satisfied that my message was
scriptural sound, but that wasn’t the message those people needed to hear. I
doubt that very many had any idea what I was talking about. It is possible to have
a subject that interests the speaker very much, but that is not where the folks
in the church are at that time of their development. What I was trying to share
with them is a subject that has been very meaningful to me.
I believe it is safe to say
in order to understand spiritual things we must think outside the box. 1
Corinthians 2 tells us clearly that the natural man cannot understand spiritual
things. It is only by the revelation of the Holy Spirit that we understand
spiritual truth. Therefore the Holy Spirit must be our teacher. He must be our master
– not our own intellect. When the human intellect steps forward to take the
chair of the sensei (teacher), the Holy Spirit is sidelined. There are some things
that anyone with an IQ of over 75 can understand. It doesn’t take a brain
surgeon to understand that there is a God who made all things. If man will
accept it, anyone should be able to understand that God sent His Son to this
world to save it. But to understand the deep things of God, this can only be
gained by the revelation of the Holy Spirit.
I believe most people will
accept that heaven is much different than this earth. When we read Ezek. 1 and
Rev. 4 & 5 we are confronted with a description of things that goes well beyond
our imagination. In one sense we are confronted with a problem similar to what
a Stone Age savage in the Amazon might face if someone was to describe to him
life in America today. How could you explain a computer to him? In
order to understand spiritual truth, I believe we must accept that there are
things that don’t make a lick of sense to us here. If we were restricted to
living in a two dimensional world, how could we understanding a three dimensional
world? In a two dimensional world a dot does not have a dimension. In a three
dimensional world a dot can be a line which has a dimension. If we were
restricted to only having four senses rather than five, and no one on this
earth had eyes, how could you explain some things to them? There would be some
things true in one world that are not true in the other. In the world of the
blind the number five can only have one meaning. But in the world of sigh it
can be different colors, that makes it different. Red and green lights mean
nothing to a color blind person but they have a radically different function in
a traffic light. Therefore I have come to the conclusion that there are things
in the spirit world that are true that don’t make sense to us here.
To a limited degree all
Christians will accept the doctrine of the Trinity. It is impossible for three
to be one. And yet we all accept that there is one God Who exists in Three
Persons. By the rules of this world that is impossible. To get around that
problem we use the illustration of water existing in three different states.
That is; the same cup of water can be solid, liquid or gas, depending on the
temperature. Or a woman can be a daughter, wife or mother. But the doctrine of
the Trinity goes well beyond our natural explanation.
I have found so many things
in the Bible that seem to be contradictory that I have come to the conclusion that
in the world of the spirit things are different and all these things are true –
even if they don’t make sense here.
One of them is the
contradictory doctrines of the sovereignty of God and the free will of man.
Naturally speaking you can’t have it both ways at the same time. You can’t have
a totally sovereign God who can do anything He wants. He can save or not save
anyone He wants; and at the same time have the total unrestricted will of man
who can thwart the grace of God, reject the pleadings of God, and refuse His
salvation. And yet I see both arguments presented with equal clarity in the
Bible. You can take either side of the argument and establish an irrefutable
case. I have come to the position that both sides are absolutely correct. In
this world it is impossible but in the realm of heaven I see where both sides
equally exist.
Recently I have come to a new
position in my Christology. First of all, may I adamantly declare that I see
Christ in His deity in the highest sense of the word. I totally believe what John
said, “In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word
was God” … All things were made by Him and without Him was not anything made
that was made” (Jan. 1:1, 3). There is no question about Who John is talking
about when he further says, “And the Word was made flesh and dwelt among us” (Jan.
1:14 ). The Word is Jesus. There are numerous verses in the
Bible that clearly teaches that Jesus was the creator. Not only was He the
creator but He was also with the Father from eternity past. You can’t get any
more clear than what John said “In the beginning was the Word”. Christ was
there with the Father in the beginning and the first act of creation was done
by Christ.
And yet I have recently been
shocked when I began to consider what the word “begotten” means. This is
clearly the verb used in most of the genealogies that talk about someone’s son
(or child). In reading my Japanese Bible the other day, I was very surprised
when I saw in Heb. 1:5 – in quoting the 2nd Psalm ‘This day have I
begotten Thee’ – the translators used the Japanese verb “umu”; which means to
give birth. In that they are correct as this is exactly what “begotten” means.
That means that Christ was born of God. This could be difficult. Andrew Murray
brings out that there are clearly two begottens in scripture. In his message in
Acts 13:33, Paul quotes the 2nd Psalm – This day have I begotten Thee – and applies it to the resurrection
of Christ. But the use in Heb. 1:5 applies directly to Christ relationship with
the Father establishing that He is the Son of God, and considerably more than
an angel. Some commentators suggest that the two begottens are referring to His
incarnation and His resurrection. But Andrew Murray forwards the position that
Christ was literally born of God. That argument makes more sense of the claim
Jesus made of Himself in talking to Nicodemus when two times He refers to Himself
as “the only BEGOTTEN” (Jan. 3:16,
18). When did this happen? That is a date and an event that we cannot discuss
on this earth as it precedes eternity. It precedes “the beginning”.
The reason this came to the
surface was what Andrew Murray had to say about Heb. 2:11 – “He that sanctifieth and they who are sanctified
are all OF (literally out of) One”. This clearly teaches that the sanctifier –
Jesus – and those who are sanctified – us – are both out of the same source.
That is; we both are born out of God – born of His Spirit. That one rocked me.
But it does make sense. No one will argue what the new-birth is. That is
nothing less than the very Spirit of God being born, or coming into, our heart.
All Christians agree that when a person is born again, the very Spirit of God
comes into our heart. And this birth is the same as Jesus was born of God. It
is because we both are born out of the same source Jesus is not ashamed to call
us brethren.
This has given me a new
perspective of Jesus and His relation with the Father. Again, if you try to
understand this by the tools of earthy understanding it is impossible.
But by accepting the position
that things are much different in heaven, and the laws of heaven go beyond the
rules that govern earthly understanding, I have become very comfortable in
taking the entire Bible in and believing every verse is true just as it says.
If you think this letter is
hard to swallow, you should have seen the perplexed looks on the faces of the
poor Thai people who had to listen to a small modified version of this thesis.
But may I again declare that Jesus is real and someday He will make all of this
plain to us.
Shu ni kansha shimasu (thank
the Lord), bill
No comments:
Post a Comment