Dear Phyllis,
This is probably the most
unusual dispatch I have ever sent. Gomen nasai (I’m sorry). Today is Wednesday
and I doubt seriously that I will be able to write this coming Sunday. In two
hours I am leaving Chiang Mai to go directly to the tsunami area of Japan . In all probability this will be a long term project.
My very dear friend, Neil
Verwey, called from Japan last night asking why I wasn’t in Sendai . He wasn’t critical, but as the founder of Japan Mission
he has a deep concern to help people in such a stricken area with as much
assistance as possible. They had no one on their immediate staff who were in a position
to go, and he resorted to calling his old buddy, Bill Cook, asking him if he
would go as their representative to the Sendai area. He said they had a truck loaded with blankets
and all the sulies that they could get, loaded, waiting for me to drive up
there.
The roads, of course, are gone.
Transportation to that area is virtually impossible. But Neil did some investigation,
and it looks like there is a possible way in by going up the west coast of
Japan, and then crossing over the mountains from the west to get as close as
possible to the desperate area.
Neil talked with his son
David about the proposed operation and both thought I was uniquely qualified. I
am in a somewhat unique position with my knowledge of the language, the country,
and construction to be a help to those people. I had a deep desire to go but it
looked totally out of the question until Neil called pleading that I go as their
representative. They have the organization and supplies but needed a man to
carry the supplies up to there and join the fight to help survivors. They are standing
behind me but I must go by myself and trust the Lord to open the way to show me
what He would have me do there.
I bought my ticket for Japan two hours ago and will be leaving soon, arriving in Osaka early tomorrow morning. I can’t say that what lies in
front of me is what I would choose for an exciting adventure. I would rather
stay in Chiang Mai in the lovely weather working in my comfortable shop. It is
an exhausting trip to drive from Ikoma to Sendai on the expressway. This is impossible now, which
means I will have a grueling two days driving by myself on back roads through terrible
snow country. Just existing in a disaster area like that is challenging. There
is no electricity. It is freezing cold. Rain and snow are to be expected. Food
and water are scarce. The work is utterly overwhelming and endless. There is
extremely little that one person can do. I will simply be one ant on a huge
mountain. But one ant can move one grain of sand. Jesus said of Mary, “She has
done what she could.” That is the best testimony the Lord can ever say about anyone
of us. How can we do less?
In the Air Force, they had a
policy that when a man was down in an inaccessible area – as a last ditch
effort – they would drop a survival specialist in that area to be with the down
pilot and work with him until they could get him to an area that could be
reached by ship or helicopter. When the rescue specialist parachuted out of
that plane, he was totally identified with the man in his environment; whether
it be the arctic, a jungle, or the ocean; to share the same fate as the man he
was sent in to rescue. This is what Jesus did for us – only in a much
profounder way. He went beyond our suffering to take the full brunt of the
wrath of God to suffer for our sins. It is not fun to leave my comfortable home
in Chiang Mai to go and live with those people who have lost everything,
including the roof over their heads. But this is a privilege, and one that I cannot
decline.
When you speak to Jesus in
these coming weeks you might remind Him that one of His most limited servants
there in that tsunami area as a candidate for His use in any capacity He may
choose.
Thank you for your
participation with me. In the cause of our gracious Lord Jesus,
Bill
PS: I wrote this just before
leaving for the airport. I am now in Ikoma getting things ready to probably
leave tomorrow for up north. Jesus is in charge of this operation. All I have
to do is follow Him.
No comments:
Post a Comment