Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Return of The Years the Locus Have Eaten

25 March 2012

Dear Phyllis,

My sister had a plaque hanging on the wall in her house – I will restore to you the years that the locust have eaten. I have never really cared for that verse. It gives a lot of hope for the future, but I am not sure that the Lord always does it. In my sisters case, it is hard to judge just what happened.

She married an extremely outstanding young man, Tom Knapp, and had the brightest prospects for a good life. Tom was the third generation of a highly successful family in the little town of Waverly, NY. They owned the largest department store in the area, and were one of the most respected families. But Tom was too big a fish for a very small pond. When his dad died, Tom was left as the owner and manager of the family store while still a young man. Shockingly he sold the store and got on a plane to go to Los Angeles to look for a new job. He went from walking the streets, reading the want adds column in the news paper, looking for a job, to being the vise president of the Bank of America in less than four years. But Tom had serious spiritual problems that he never could resolve. He committed suicide leaving my sister with three small children and a grim future. By pursuing her careerer as a music teacher, she was able to keep her comfortable home and did very well in raising her children. If a persons success in life is measured in their children, she couldn't have done better. All three have turned out exceptional. But she never enjoyed a happy married life.

When my family collapsed in 1990, I said, “I am at the end of lifes road.” The locust in Egypt did not do as thorough a job in making Egypt bare as what happened to me. It was just exactly like a house fire – only worse. I lost everything. I knew a brother, Bill Pape, who had been a missionary in China before the Mao takeover. When the Communist took the country, he knew he might have a tentative future, and boiled down his indispensable possessions to seven boxes. He told the Lord He could have the rest, but please let him keep those precious seven boxes. Bill said those seven boxes came between him and the Lord until he surrendered even those to Christ. Bill said that made it easier when he ultimately did leave China with only the shirt on his back.

My experience was similar except I didn't have seven boxes. I had a library of invaluable books, a life collections of pictures., a house full of comfortable furniture, my auto harp, a car and a truck, and thousands of dollars of carpentry tools. When we left Japan to go to Link Care to be healed by two years of psychotherapy, we walked away from everything. Everything I owned in this world went in one small suitcase. And then, three weeks later, my family was dismantled by Link Care. I lost my wife, my home, my family, all my supporting churches, all my worldly possessions, most of my friends, and my ministry. I walked out of Link Care a homeless man with $10 in my pocket. For the next five years I drifted around Japan building churches, and homes for missionaries and pastors for free. For eight months I set a historic precedent by being the only honey-wagon man (a vacuum truck driver, pumping out toilets) with a commercial pilots license in Japan.

I felt the Lord had down-graded me to a sub-human status and no longer considered myself a ningen (human). For the first two years I desperately tried to get back to normal life as a ningen. Life was worse than death. For years I felt like a POW. It was like I was locked up in a foreign country and desperately wanted to get back to my home and family. But that was impossible. How I longed for the days when I had a beautiful home, a lovely family, and an endless line of visitors coming to our house, where we could share Christ with them.

My eight years with New Life League were good. Roald Lidal gave me a lovely room where I had my own bed, a comfortable computer chair/desk, and a regular salary. It was a good life, but the day came when that came to an end. Again, I walked away from everything except for what few things I could carry in my backpack.

My dear friend Mark was good to me in allowing me to live in his Bible warehouse for free. There was a refrigerator, and a bed in the house. I made myself a marvelous chase lounge for devotions. But beyond that I never wanted to collect any more things than what I could carry on my back.

Over the years my desperation over relearning how to live as a single man eased up. Twenty one years passed. I longed for the days when had a home ministry, but that was impossible; and my limitation with the Thai language restricted me to a very small area of ministry.

Then, totally unsolicited, and unexpected, a lovely lady appeared on the horizon who was very aggressive in her determination to be my wife. I said for years that if I ever married again the next girl would have to propose to me. She did. I said “whoa”. I flat didn't like her. To consider someone like that was ridiculous! But I was startled how the Lord kept changing my mind. Time and again I was determined to say, “Please split” only to be startled by discussing, “IF we get married...” I later thought, “What in the world did I say?” I began to feel like the Lord had sent her to me, and it was my call to accept someone He had sent or refuse her. You know the rest of the story. It has been seven months now.

Unexpectedly Mark pulled out of this area closing down his Bible warehouse. That left us with the choice to step forward to accept the house and pay the rent from now on, or move out. That decision wasn't too difficult. For the first time I had a totally empty house on my hands. Over the years I had thought, if the Lord ever did send me a partner, I would like to reconstruct and make a totally new kitchen. It still isn't finished, but enough of it is done that women scream with envy and delight when they see what Pammy has. This has got to be the finest kitchen in Chiang Mai. I doubt there is another kitchen remotely like it in northern Thailand. I still have the wall cabinets to go, but the base cabinets are more than a dream. I never tire of sitting on one of the swivel stool I made to go with the breakfast nook island and gaze at this gorgeous knotty pine Throne Room Pammy has for her ministry. We are just beginning to have people in to eat with us. The Lord has rolled the clock back, and I am enjoying the ministry we had 30 years ago at the Joy Corral in Ikoma.

The locust devoured everything, leaving the country bone bare. Nearly a quarter of a century passed, but suddenly the desert is blooming like the Garden of Eden.

Pammy is a wonderful partner. I never cease to marvel at the one Jesus sent to me. We are quite dissimilar except for our common bond in Christ. But we are getting alone very well. I really love this girl. There were some horrific problems for the first few months, but we are understanding each other better, and the Lord is molding both of us to be better partners. This is a first time experience for me. From day one, Rosemary never accepted our marriage as the will of God for her life. As a consequence, in 20 years, she never once said to me from her heart “I love you”. At best she was stuck with a man she desperately didn't want. Pammy is a very affectionate loving wife. Her love and respect for me is genuine. She was a very strong willed, independent, lady pastor. It has been a terrible change for her to suddenly be a submissive conservative missionary wife. The role is radically different. But she is adopting to it better than I thought was possible.

For several months friends would ask me, “Can Pammy cook?” My answer was, “I don't know.” I honestly don't know what we ate. I flat cannot handle Thai cooking. That stuff is so hot (spicy) that it glows in the dark. That stuff is so hot it would defrost a meat freezer. Most of it burns my lips, and if it gets in my mouth, the taste buds are gone for hours. If I eat Thai food, my mouth is burning so badly, that it makes ice water steam. Pammy must have an asbestos mouth as she eats things with relish that a fire marshal would ban. But she is keeping the bad stuff away from me. And she is coming up with some dishes that I genuinely enjoy eating. Fortunately – or unfortunately – she is starting to develop a taste for some of my favorite foods. I say , “unfortunately” because it is getting more difficult to keep those things in the refrigerator. My favorite fruit juice, granola, cheese, potato chips, etc disappear at an alarming rate.

Her primary gift is evangelism. I have written to you about this before. I never cease to marvel at the way she witnesses. She came home the other night and said, "I just led another lady to the Lord at the market." While shopping, she engaged a stranger, and before they finished she asked the woman, “Would you like to ask Jesus to be your savior.?” When the lady responded yes, Pammy said, “Well, let's pray right now.” I don't know how many of these people are really saved, but it sure doesn't hurt to push salvation. As a partner serving the Lord, I couldn't be more pleased. The other day we were talking with a university professor friend of ours. As I looked at her radiant face telling this dear man about Jesus, I thought, “What a wonderful co-worker!”

It is wonderful to have someone live with me serving Jesus who loves me. It is wonderful to have a homey home again. It is wonderful to be back in the society of ningens again. But the Lord has given me one other special bonus. For 21 years one of the things I missed the most was my dog. We always had marvelous dogs living in our home. The first week we were married we were out visiting a home that had puppies. Pastor Kichikun picked up a pup and put it in his car. I asked, “What are you going to do with that dog?” He replied, “I am taking it home. It will be my dog.” But when he dropped us off at our place, the pup got unloaded. I asked again, “What about your dog?” This time he replied, “She is yours. Pammy wants her.” Chotto matte (just a minute)! I wasn't prepared for that, but the dog stayed. Oh my goodness, what a blessing! Black Canyon (what a stupid name!) is the most wonderful dog I have ever had. She is a little black I-don't-know-what. But the Lord doesn't make dogs any better than Black Canyon. She is highly intelligent, a lovely disposition, and very obedient. I thought Pammy and I would have a real struggle over how to raise a dog, but generally we are agreed. Black Canyon is in the house most of the time. Her favorite time of the day is early morning when I get up to let her out to go potty. Then she loves to sit on my chair with me for two hours while I have my morning devotions with the Lord.

As I sit here day by day basking in all the Lord has done in reconstructing my life, all I can say is that indeed He has restored the years that the locust have eaten. At 76 I have a more blessed life than I did when I was 36.

Two weeks ago I wrote you about the terrible storm that tore up my shop, nearly destroyed my Bible and soaked my computer. The computer is fine,, I am using my Bible every day, and the shop is amazingly in good shape. The locust are gone and the blessing of God has filled the land.

How can I ever adequately thank God?
bill

No comments:

Post a Comment