2 December 2012
Dear Phyllis,
I never wanted to be a missionary to Thailand, but the Lord has made me more a part of the fabric of this country than any place I have ever lived. I had surprising few friends as a boy growing up. I was more or less a misfit in high school and college. When I went to Japan I made a serious attempt at being real Japanese. I even wore wooden getas unit one day I looked around, and I was the only idiot in town clopping around on them. As a missionary we tried to identify ourselves with the people wherever we went, but there was no getting around it that we were gaijins (foreigners).
It wasn't until I had Henry Ayabe come to Karuizawa to give the new missionaries an orientation message that I heard him say, “The best thing you can do is just be yourself. Don't try to be something you are not”. That was a pivotal moment in my life. Up until then, I had tried Hudson Taylor's philosophy of trying to be a much like the natives as possible. He broke from traditional missionary policy of wearing western clothes, put on Chinese clothes, and wore his hair Chinese style. Henry Ayabe told of his personal experience of trying to be Japanese for the fist five years of his ministry. Even though he was a nisei (second generation) born in Hawaii with a Japanese name, he said the Japanese would never accept him as one of them. He finally gave up trying to be Nihon jin (Japanese) and accepted his status as gaijin (foreigner) ,and said he got along much better. With that I quit trying to be Nihon jin and became a crazy American cowboy. I started wearing a cowboy hat, boots, and western shirts. That has been my trade mark ever since.
I never gave any thought of penetrating Thai society to become one of them. I have made zero progress with the language, and am content to stand outside the culture and society of Thailand. But now I find myself more immersed in the fabric of Thai life than any place I have ever been. This was dramatically impressed upon me this morning.
When the Lord first gave us Annie, I said, “This little girl is going to be our evangelist.” This is proving to be true in a way that goes well beyond my original thought. When we had to enroll her in kindergarten I had no idea how significant that would be. The director was ecstatic to make our acquaintance, and asked me to speak everyday at the school. This has turned out to be one of the largest openings I have ever had. Uncle Bill is huge news at that school.
From the beginning I have always tried to treat every student like they are the only one in the school. After my talk they walk out in single file. I always squat down and speak to each one as they leave. I have made a special attempt of having physical contact with them by shaking hands or patting them. This has produced a strange problem. The students have responded in a major way of wanting to get a hug. I do hug everyone I can, but that is limited as they have to keep moving. It is a common phenomenon to have ten or fifteen children break rank and run to me to try to get a hug. This happens several times every day. Also, a number of children want to kiss Uncle Bill. I am, hands down, the most popular person in the school. I have never been in a place where I have been so universally, intensely, loved by all. This would be impossible if I was Thai. But because I am an American cowboy that puts me in a different category where the rules don't apply.
Last week Sangha told me that Sunday would be sports day. That is a major problem in Japan. Schools have a lot of activities on Sunday, and many Christians compromise by putting school events ahead of church. That seems to be a common problem in Thailand as well. On that point, I am hard-head. Sunday is the Lord's day, and I will not allow Jesus to be put in the back seat. When the director spoke to me about the sports day I told him that we would not be there. But then he surprised me with a new scenario. He said it was starting at 7:00 AM and asked if we could come until 10:00 o'clock. He said, “By all means go to church, but if you could come before church we wold be grateful.” Somewhat reluctantly I did agree with that. I am sure that was ordered of the Lord.
The day began at an assembling point a short distance from the school. Then a short parade down the street to the grounds where the sports day was to be held. As we milled around the crowd, it hit me in a way that I have never experienced how totally we are one of them. Because Pammy is Thai, she is just one of the mothers, and Annie is 100% one of the children. We couldn't be more totally immersed in the fabric of this society. I will never be Thai, but there is no question but what we are a Thai family. I thought it was a little odd as I was probably 40 years older than the average father there. And at 46 Pammy was probably ten to fifteen years older than the average mother. But in every sense of the word we were one with them. Sangha gave me a prominent place as he had me stand in front of everyone. I gave the award to the winners of some of the events, and participated with the fathers in one event. I enjoyed, and deeply appreciated, the high place of honor he gave me.
It was not that I was in the spotlight, but it struck me that the Lord has given us a greater testimony than any place I have ever been in my life. Unquestionably, there is no way you can reach a persons heart better than through their children. We must be the number one topic of conversation in every home every day. All those children must go home talking about Uncle Bill every day. I'm sure the parents were curious to see what kind of a man this falang (foreigner) is. No child is shy with me. Many children came running up to give Uncle Bill a hug today. We must be the most famous family in that community, and certainly the most talked about family in the homes of the over 200 children that go to that school. I am in a truly unique position. As a falang, I am out of the box, and can operate in a way that would be impossible for a Thai. And yet, because Pammy and Annie are Thai, we are utterly one with them.
It came to me in a very strong way this morning that when God had a message He wanted to communicate to humanity He became a human. It was through His identity with us as a man that Jesus was able to speak to, and reach us, beyond any other possible way. God communicated His message to us more than He could have by sending an angel from heaven. Identity with the people is the highest platform you can get. The greatest testimony Jesus ever had was the shortest verse in the Bible – John 11:35 – “Jesus wept”. When Jesus burst into tears at Lazarus' grave, that spoke louder than any message He ever gave. By that He demonstrated His identity with the sisters in their grief.
I was greatly impressed what a unique platform the Lord has given us to over 200 homes in this community. Our target is to get the directors, Sangha and Lek, saved. After that we want to see the teachers saved. Ultimately we want to see that kindergarten turned into a Christian school. Through that we want to see all the children come to know Jesus, and finally we want to see all the parents brought to the Kingdom of God. We had a tremendously good start this morning.
You can't do better than where we were this morning. But a good start is not the same as a winning finish. All that we have right now will be pointless unless there is a continuation of the working of the Holy Spirit in seeing Christ born into the hearts of all, and all those people brought into the obedience of Christ. I don't want to stop at the level that Bill Cook is popular. Jesus must be made Lord. All else is meaningless.
Like every school in Thailand there is a certain amount of idolatry practiced every day. Pammy surprised me with a most encouraging testimony recently. She said Annie told her that her teacher had mildly rebuked her for not bowing before, and reverencing, the idol. Annie told her flat out, “I don't pray to, or bow before idols. I am a Christian.” I was tremendously impressed. I don't know where she got that. Of course, that is our position, but we had never discussed that problem at school with her. Unless Pammy had talked with her about it, she must have gotten that directly from the Holy Spirit.
I mentioned in my letter past week how we had spoken to Sangha and Lek about accepting Jesus, and their response, that if they got saved that would be the end of their school. I was amazed that they would be that clear about compromise even before they are saved. We haven't had much opportunity to follow up on that since then. But last Thursday, after my class Sangha tackled Pammy about forgiveness. He brought it up. Again we had an outstanding opportunity to present the salvation of Christ to him. I told him flat out, that if Jesus didn't forgive his sins, they weren't going to be forgiven; and he would be judged for them at the Final Judgment day. He is not backing off from his quest for salvation. I believe it is just a matter of time, and that probably won't be too long. But he must prepare for the eventuality that they might get closed down by the Thai government if and when they get saved. They had other commitments last Friday night so we couldn't discuss that problem further, but I am sure the Lord will continue to lead them along.
There is much I wanted to talk about today, but I am out of time and space now. The main thing is the world situation, the economic and political picture in the states, and Bible prophecy. I am tremendous impressed with the shortness of the time we have left. The Lord has given us a unique position here, but it is doubtful how much time we have left. This gives an increased urgency to our message.
I don't envy your position in the states at all. Somehow that looks like an awfully dangerous place to me. It is not just that it is dangerous, but it looks extremely difficult. Our testimony here with the Thai Buddhist is a whole lot easier than what you have to deal with there. But Jesus is the Lord of the harvest, and He will reward each one according to their faithfulness.
Gambatte for Jesus (hang tough, give it your best shot),
bill
No comments:
Post a Comment