11 January
Dear Harold,
You ol' horse thief. How I love you! How I wish I could hug your ol' red neck! You are one of the bewilderments of my life. You occupy an absolutely unique place in my heart. Of all the folks I knew in Karuizawa, there was only one Harold Carman. There were many who were unique, but you are at the top of the list of the finest missionaries we ever had. When you left I was sure you would be back. No soap. I thought you all were as solid a Christian family as there was any place. When I heard the disaster that fell upon you, I couldn't believe it. You might have bombed out as a missionary and returned to real estate, but one thing was certain, the Carman family were as successful business men as any in the south. That was one thing that was safely out of the red zone. It took almost an act of God to close you down. Your life has been almost as checkered as mine, but I knew you were a special servant of God that the Lord had raised up to be a witness in Tennessee. You were uniquely equipped above many. Your gifts, your background, your convictions put you in a position to establish a showcase church that would be a testimony and a light in a dark corner. I have no idea what happened. My life has been an unending disaster. There is not one church in the world that has owned me. But when I was with you, I felt like, at last, I have found a home. If I had such a thing as a home church, it would be the Amazing Grace. That was the last I ever heard from you. I haven't heard one cotton pic ken thing from you in three years.
In spite of the enigma you are, you still hold your rank in my heart, and I am sure your spiritual stature is as untarnished as ever. I'm sure if we ever got together again, that our hearts would beat together as much as they ever did. There is no question in my mind but what you are still one of God's great men. And you are probably one of my closest friends, even if I don't even get a Christmas card. Jesus has many strange friends and so do I.
Thank you for sending the card.
Your distant brother,
In the bonds of our wonderful Lord Jesus,
bill
No comments:
Post a Comment