Dear Phyllis,
This is one of those days when I have nothing to say. There are
a number of small news items, but nothing especially spiritual. One thing I
should mention is that about a month ago disaster struck when my computer
crashed, and I thought I had lost everything, including some priceless photos I
had taken from all over SEA , west China , and Pakistan . After I took my computer to
the computer shop to get it fixed, Singha told me I shouldn't have as they
would rip me off. I gave him the slip from the computer shop and asked him to
take care of it for me. The first thing was when my friend, Pascal, showed up
with a beautiful new computer for me. I was speechless. The next thing was when
Singha told me that the computer shop had called him saying my computer was too
old and they couldn't get a new part for it. Then one day Singha came with my
computer fixed. They had ordered a new part. To my utter amazement, everything
was still intact on the computer. So actually I lost nothing but gained a new
computer out of the deal.
Physically, I suppose I am somewhat better. The last time I
wrote I said I was at about 65% normal power. That has moved up to 70% or 75%.
My whole body was shutting down as I was getting no exercise. Last week I
started out walking 1 km a day. At first that was quite difficult, but it is
getting better everyday.
My friend, Gary, came to see me Wednesday for the first time in
many months. Nearly a year ago, the doctor who owns his shed, asked me to make
a difficult stairway for him. I promise to do that, and ordered the material 8
or 9 months ago. I went to the job site a couple of times to get started, but
the building wasn't read yet. Five months ago, when my body flamed out, I
assumed that was the end of my carrier as a carpenter. But Wednesday Gary said the doctor is still
waiting for me to do that job. I told Gary that is Impossible. But he
suggested that he would do all the work if only I would show him how. It would
be like life from the dead if I could get back to driving nails. I told Gary I was willing to give it a
try, and I am supposed to get back to work next Monday.
Two weeks ago I told Singha that I thought our system of
teaching the kindergarten children English was very inefficient, and the best
way would be to leave out the interpretation, and emerge the children in a
system of total English. The first thing that surprised me was when he told me
that several of the kids had gone on to expensive private schools where they
had to take an entrance exam, and five of our children had scored the top in
Chiang Mai. That gives their school a five star rating. Sangha and his wife
accepted my suggestion, and started a new class that is English only. This is
in addition to the 30 minute that I have at 9:30 every morning. At first they
stuck on two more hours so I was there until noon . You want to try something
challenging, just get seven 4-6 year old children in a room and keep them
entertained for two hours. I was really tired when I got home at noon .
We had a fine Thai sister live with us for two or three months
eight months ago. Janice is Thai, but has a masters degree from a university in
England , so her English is pretty
good. There were some problems, and she left us about five months ago. Monday
evening I was surprised to see her out front again. She had just moved in to a
ridiculous situation and panicked. She was tremendously relieved and grateful
when I gave her a green light to come back for a while. So Janice is with us
again.
The biggest news is Pammy. I'm sure you have heard the story
about the Arab and the camel. On a cold winter night a camel stuck his head in
the tent of an Arab and asked for permission to at least have his nose in the
warm tent. Then he asked for his head. Then his front legs. At last he got his
whole body in the tent. At that, the Arab protested and said there wasn't room
for both in the tent, and for him to get out. The camel simply replied, “No, I
am here. You get out.” I am dealing with a Christian camel.
When we were married I told Pammy what the Bible had to say
about a woman place in the church – (silence). I have always said I would never
allow her to be a pastor again. But she has been winning souls at the market
and wherever she goes at an unprecedented rate. She wanted to have a church
service here at our house. No way!!! I told her that I have no objection for
her to nurture those she is bringing to Christ, but I would not allow a meeting
here. One Sunday she came back and said the unsaved grandfather at the house
where they were meeting put them out. She had no other place to go but here.
Okay. But the house began to look more and more like a church. I am determined
to stay loyal to Kichikun, even though I am off the preaching roster. Each week
I would come home from Kichikun's church and see four or five of Pammy's new
converts having the time of their life at 2:00 and 3:00 in the afternoon. Church is
the greatest thing in their life. They love every minute and don't want to go
home. Pammy is giving them very good teaching, and they are enjoying the Lord
like I haven't seen in a long time. If God is blessing like that I am not going
to step forward to stop it. At the same time Kichikun's church is getting
perilously close to dead religion. Kichikun is a faithful pastor and is very
orthodox. He is a good teacher. But I don't see any life in the church. It has
been a long time since anyone got saved, and I seriously doubt that those
believers are growing or going on with God. No one is excited about Jesus. Last
week I asked Pammy what she had shared with her people that day. It was superb!
Pammy's group is very small and still in the embryonic stage, but at this point
it looks to me like the best show in town. I have told her that if she grows
big enough, and I pull out from Kichikun, I would be willing to step forward to
be the pastor. I have no objection for her to do what she is doing right now.
If we could make this a sister church of Kichikun 's that would be best. I have
gone past the line of what I said I would permit, and am very close to being
the Arab with a camel in the tent. But if this camel is so singularly blessed
of God I really don't want to close it down. If Jesus is moving, Lord please
don't stop.
bill
No comments:
Post a Comment