1 February 2015
Dear Phyllis,
I am sure very few people understand the significance of the Triumphant Entry of Christ riding into Jerusalem. Looking at it through the lens of the Inverted Kingdom, I see the Last Week as the week of the coronation of Israel's King. It started with His entry into Jerusalem, which was the historic fulfillment of Israel's King presenting Himself to the nation. Both Mathew and John specifically say, “This was done that it might be fulfilled which was spoken by the prophet saying...” (Mt. 21:4; Jn. 12:14); then the passage in Zech 9:9 is quoted, that told the sign of the King's coming would be when He rode in on the colt of an ass. This was the event that Israel had waited for, for over 1,000 years. Nothing could more graphically portray the Inverted Kingdom than the coronation of Christ. For the inauguration of presidents, prime ministers, and kings; they ride in the most expensive vehicles or gold carriages, drawn by the finest horses. But for Jesus' triumphant entry, when He presented Himself to the country, He rode in on the lowest animal that would hold him – a donkeys colt. But that colt was the most blessed animal that ever stood on four feet. On his back sat the Son of God. I could have wished to be that colt. What an honor! If I couldn't be the colt, my next highest wish would have been to be one of the dirty jackets they put on the colt for a blanket for Christ to sit on. But I am not worthy of such an honor. As I have thought, what my wish would be, I have settled on; I would like to be one of the dirty jackets that they spread on the road for the donkey to walk on (Mt. 21:8). If I could be one of those jackets, that would make Christ 1 cm taller as He rode in to town, I would have eternity to thank God.
For three years I have wondered, why in the world did I marry that girl (Pammy)? She is not my type. I didn't ask for her, I didn't want her, I said no four times; and yet the bottom line was, that I felt Jesus had placed her before me, and it was my call to accept the one He provided or reject her. It was easier to say yes than no, so we were married. For 2 ½ years it couldn't have been worse. What kind of a dumb mistake did I make? But now I am beginning to see the Lord's plan. I believe the Lord provided me for her. I am a donkey that she can ride on. A month ago I wrote a letter saying she was doing very well. The points just keep adding up.
Last Saturday night Pammy went to the village near here to do some shopping. In the darkness, she saw a poor fellow in a wheel chair crossing the road without a light. Pammy thought, some car is not going to see him, and kill him; so she shined the light of her Honda on him until he got across the street. She asked the store clerk where she was shopping if she knew him. Yes, he lived near there. Pammy noticed the boy had a cold and only a thin shirt on. As he was going home, Pammy shined the light of her bike for him all the way home. In talking with him, she learned that he was born crippled. Both his parents had died of HIV and his grandfather, who raised him had died. He was 23 years old and lived in a horrible place. She told him, “I am coming back tomorrow morning to take you to church.” To abbreviate the story, Sunday afternoon when Pammy was going to take him home, she said, “I will be back next week and you can accept Jesus then.” No way. He couldn't wait. He wanted to get saved right now. Monday evening Pammy went to his apartment, picked him up, and brought him to our house – like to stay. I don't know what will happen long term, but at the moment we plan for him to live with us indefinitely.
A couple of weeks ago Pammy asked me to hook up the trailer for my motor bike and take a load of things to a night market near here, so she could do dendo (evangelism). Last Friday night she asked me to fix my trailer again, so she could go back to the night market for more dendo. She is doing it extremely well. I give her an A for the way she is presenting the Gospel at that market. She has rented a stall where she sets up her table and equipment, and they provide an AC electric outlet so she can plug in her electronics. She plays Christian music and does some preaching, but she is not obnoxious. She invites people to come get free tracts and booklets. She scarcely takes a breath that she isn't telling someone about Jesus. When she got home Friday night she was really pumped up. She just craves to do dendo.
Pammy has a guitar. I would give her a C as a guitarist, but she just loves to sit and strum her guitar, singing, and worshiping Jesus for hours each day. If you are going to have an addiction, I guess that is the best kind to have – worshiping Jesus and doing dendo.
I am beginning to see why the Lord had me marry her, and why I am here. She would be very weak by herself, but being married to me, this enables her to have an outreach that would be impossible for a single girl. My ministry is next to zero, but if the Lord would use me to enable her to do what she is doing, then that makes sense. I would have loved to be that donkey that Jesus rode on, but the Lord has given me the position to be the donkey that Pammy can ride on. I still am opposed to lady pastors. But she is doing more for the Kingdom of God than any five pastors I know.
Pammy isn't deep. I consider her a very young Christian. She has a lot of negatives. There are a number of things that I would like to see different. But I am much impressed at the way the Lord seems to have His hand on her life. She definitely is growing. She is a radically different person than she was a year ago. She is eagerly listening to me now, which was utterly impossible a year ago. I maintain that I do not like lady pastors but I see nothing in the Word saying that it is wrong for a woman to have the gift of evangelism and be a well used soul winner. It seems the Lord has chosen not to give me the microphone and relegated me to the back of the shelf. But if He could use me to be a donkey for my wife to ride on, perhaps that might be the greatest contribution I can make for the Kingdom of God. Praise God, Christ is being made known.
Oinori o arigato gozaimasu (Thank you for your prayers)
bill
No comments:
Post a Comment