Monday, June 1, 2015

Leaving the Air Force

24 May 2015
Dear Phyllis,
In October of 1961 I was coming up on being in Japan for three years and was in preparation to leave the Air Force. The question was which road from here? There were two paths in front of me. One was to go back to the states, go to Bible school, get married, join a mission, and come back as a missionary. The other was to stay on in Japan as an independent missionary. I was absolutely dead locked as to which road to choose.
One Saturday, Don Hoke, the founder of the Japan Bible School. invited me over for lunch. After eating he asked what I was considering. I told him I was thinking about going to the University of Arabia (Gal. 1:17,18). He asked, “Do you know any graduates?” I replied, “Yes a couple.” “Where are they today?” “In a ditch.” “What makes you think you will be any different?” Then he said something that really rocked me. “It may be that this is the will of God for your life but it is unusual, and the burden of proof is on you to prove that this His way.” I came away from that lunch a very sober young man.
The last three months I was in the AF I was given the job as Adjutant Officer of the maintenance squadron as the ranking officer over 1000 men. That position was perfect for handling the paper work of being released from service. I filled out the form and sent it to Washington to the Secretary of the Air Force.
December came and there was no word from heaven as to where to go. I knew fundamentally I had to get a word from God. I wrote Joe Carroll and asked if there was a place in Karuizawa where I could fast and pray for a few days. He wrote back that his wife was in the hospital in Tokyo and I could stay with him. I went up to Karuizawa and began what I thought would be several days of fasting and prayer. I missed two meals and at 3:00 o'clock the first afternoon the Lord clearly spoke to me saying it was His will for me to stay in Japan. While up there Joe took me to see John Schone who had just started the TEAM language school to see if I could study Japanese there. John said they were full at the moment but there might be an opening after the 1st of the year.
Shortly after that Ron Blough and I went up to Wakkanai on the tip of nothern Japan to see Larry Hagen. When I got back from Wakkanai there was a letter from the Sec. of the Air Force saying my request for release from the AF would be favorably considered if I would resubmit it under the provision of paragraph b rather than paragraph a of article 196. I resubmitted my application and that gave me additional time to get a Japanese visa. I had three things that had to fall in place or I would be an illegal alien in Japan – the school, my visa, and discharge from service.
The next week I was driving to Tokyo Immigration to make application for a visa. I had gone a kilo or two when I thought Ron might enjoy going with me and turned back to see Ron. No, he couldn't go but it was getting close to noon, why didn't I stay and have lunch with him? While I was eating lunch, a postman came with a letter for me. John Schone didn't know how to reach me at Yokota, but he knew that Ron and I were close and sent the letter for me to Ron saying that there was an opening in the school after the 1st of February. I stuffed the letter in my pocket and went on to Immigration.
I got to Immigration at 5:15 just as the girl was closing the door. When she saw me she let me in and unlocked her desk to process my application. As she was filling out my application she asked who was my sponsor in Japan. I told her, “The Church of The Open Door at Yokota”. She got out a list of registered churches and I told her it was not registered a registered church. Komatta (big problem)! It was 5:30. I had to get that application in or I would be out of service with no visa, but no sponsor. Then she asked, “What do you plan to do?” “Study Japanese.” “Can you prove that?” I pulled out the letter that had come from John Schone hours before and I got my first visa on the strength of that letter. One huge miracle.
I heard that Joe Carroll was staying in Tokyo and wanted to talk with him. One evening I drove to where he was staying. As I pulled up in front of the house another car pulled up in the opposite direction. We both got out of our cars at the same time. It was Joe. We walked in the house together and Joe said to me, “I am getting getting back from my son's funeral.” Mabel lost their first son in child birth. It was almost as if the Lord took one son from Joe and replaced him with me. In the years to follow I had the privilege of probably being the closest friend Joe had.
In January I went up to Karuizawa one Saturday to see John Schone to see if I could find a place to live. John wasn't home but he was at Takahashis Bethel House having a meeting. I went down to Bethel House to see John. The meeting was over and John and I talked about various possibilities for a place to live. Then John suggested, “You might be able to stay here”. He went in the kitchen to talk with the Takahashis and came back saying, they had a room and I could live with them. That was the best place in town.
As it turned out my visa for Japan came on the 2nd of February and I was discharged on the 7th– all within five days. I was discharged from the AF at Yokota on Friday, went to Karuizawa on Saturday, and started language study on Monday. That was the clearest confirmation of guidance I have ever had. Mark 16:20 says, “They went forth and preached everywhere; the Lord working with them and confirming the word with signs following.” Basically that has been pretty much the way my life has gone. I have got to get a word from the Lord what He wants me to do. Once I launch out on that road, there usually are tremendous signs following, “This is the way of the Lord. Walk ye in it”.
Oh what a road that has been. There is no way I could have envisioned where the path would lead that night when I first said Yes to Jesus and promised to follow him. Eternity will tell of His unspeakable grace. Oh thank You, thank You, thank You, Lord Jesus.

                                                                                        bill

No comments:

Post a Comment