Sunday, September 13, 2015

Saved

13 September 2015
Dear Phyllis,
I've told this story before, but it bears repeating. One of the stunning experiences of my life was in 1980. We were home from Japan for a furlough. I was sitting next to a lady at a church supper that I scarcely knew other than to say “Hi” to a couple of times the last time we had been there. She and her husband frequently sat in front of us in church and I distinctly remembered her from then. They were a fancy couple and I used to say to my wife, “That couple aren't saved”. I spoke to her that evening and said, “Linda, you probably don't know me but my name is Bill Cook and this is my wife Rosemary. We used to see you in church seven yeses ago”. She replied, “Bill Cook, I know more about you than your mother. I would like to tell you my testimony”.
I was right, they weren't saved. She said shortly after we left Greenville to return to Japan they quit going to church all together. But then one day a friend called and invited her to go with her to a different church. Linda said suddenly she had an intense desire to go to church and the next week was the longest week of her life. Every morning she would wake up and wonder how many more years she would have to wait until it was Sunday. Sunday finally came and she was ready for church well before time, but it seemed her friend had forgotten her. At last her friend finally showed up but she was the slowest driver in the state and every traffic light in town was red. After an eternity they got to church but the service was an endless series of songs and announcements. At long last the pastor finally stood up to speak but before he told his first joke Linda had hit the limit. She jumped up, ran forward, and fell in front of the church crying, “Jesus save me.” The startled pastor and 3,000 people had never seen anything like it, but – “Jesus save me!” - He did.. Man howdy did she get saved!
Her poor husband was really komatta (big problem). He had a crazy woman on his hands. There was no peace in their home and there was no peace in heaven. Linda was crying day and night, “Lord Jesus, save my husband”. Jake was a carpenter. One day, a few months later, Jake was up on a roof. At 4:00 in the afternoon he suddenly stood up, unbuckled his nail apron and said to his crew, “I'll see you guys tomorrow”. He got down from the roof, got in his truck, and drove off. The next morning he was on his way to work when he was killed in a fatal auto accident. He was dead on arrival at the hospital.
There was a pastor who had just prayed with a member of his church who was going in for surgery that morning. He was going out the door to go home for breakfast when he heard an announcement saying, if there was any clergy in the hospital would they please report to the administration. He turned around and reported to the administration desk asking what the problem was. They explained that they had just had a man brought in DOA and they wanted to have some clergy to speak with his wife when she showed up. He asked, “May I see the body?”. It wasn't pretty but he looked at him in the morgue and placed the sheet back over the face. Fifteen minutes later Linda came roaring up on the scene. As she was rushing in to the hospital the pastor stepped forward and said, “Mrs. Rogers, my name is Pastor Blackburn. I have something to tell you. Your husband is in heaven with our Lord Jesus.” Linda glared at him and replied, “Preacher, you are a liar. My husband is an unsaved man and is in hell”. He replied, “Mrs. Rogers, yesterday afternoon, your husband went to a public pay phone in Greenville and called the first church he could find in alphabetical order in the phone book. At 5:00 o'clock yesterday afternoon I led your husband to Christ.”
I had never heard a story like it. Rosemary was going through so many napkins crying she was ready to blow her nose on the table clothe. But then Linda dropped the bomb. She said, “After the Lord took Jake, you and your family have replaced my husband in my heart”. Somehow she had gotten a family picture of us and got on a mailing list. Linda said, “I have read every word you have ever written. I have talked to everyone who knows you. I have talked to anyone who has been in Japan and met you. When I wake up in the morning the first thing in my heart is to pray for the Cooks in Japan. When I stand at the sink and do the dishes I look at your picture posted over the sink. I pray for you all day long. And when I go to bed the last words on my lips are to pray for the cooks. You and your family have replaced Jake in my heart.” Gong! What can you say? I joined Rosemary in her shower of tears. I turned to Rosemary and said, “If there is anything we do while we are in this town, it is to spend maximum time with this lady.” And that was the last time I ever saw Linda. We never got together again.
I tell this story as I was greatly challenged as I read the story of the sinful woman who broke up the party in Simon's house by washing Jesus' feet with her tears and anointing Him with the alibastor ointment (Lk. 7:36-50). How did she know Jesus? If Simon was right, it seems apparent they had never met (Verse 39). She had never been to Him for counseling. He was not her priest at confession who had given her absolution for sin. Why was she so overwhelmed and loved Him so much? The only thing I can think of is that she was secretly watching Him and knew His every movement. She saw His character and what He had done for others. She was so overwhelmed by His person that she broke up the party by going uninvited into Simon's house and washing Jesus' feet with her tears.
Why do I share this story today? I have been sharing with you testimonies of several I have known who knew God. It has been my rare privilege to know a number of amazing Christians who walked closely to the Lord. They had His ear and their record is astonishing things the Lord has done for them. At this point in life I must be honest and admit I am a stranger in my Father's house. I stand so far in the end of the line of those who claim to be servants of God that I am embarrassed that I ever had brashness enough to get in that line. I would be the most ungrateful turkey on this planet if I didn't acknowledge that the Lord has given me one of the most privileged lives I know. But to be honest I have been more like the woman standing in the crowd looking at what Jesus does for others. Most of the things on my prayer list are on an indefinite hold. That is all right. Jesus is wonderful. His character is unchanged. I will never have the opportunity to wash Jesus' feet with soap and water. But perhaps I could wash the feet of some of His servants. Lord I would be honored to do so,
                                                                                             bill

No comments:

Post a Comment