Sunday, April 10, 2016

Happenings

27 March 2016
Dear Phyllis,
Today is Resurrection Sunday. Hallelujah! If there was no resurrection we might as well hang it up. There is no hope. It's all over, folks. But thank God for the God of the resurrection. And praise God that Jesus is the resurrection (Jn. 11:25). The resurrection and Jesus are one. Thank God the day will come when all that are in the grave will come back to life (Jn. 5:28,29); and praise God that, today, for things that looked like it's all over; miraculously, the Lord brings them back to life. I am perversely encouraged in reading Acts 27 about when Paul was in the storm. Luke honestly writes, “All hope that we should be saved was taken away” (Act 27:20). What a statement! If anyone had strong faith it was the Apostle Paul. He had been saved time and again out of the most harrowing circumstances. Surely he was praying. Surely he believed God would hear his prayer. Surely he believed they would get out of this horrible time. But all hope was taken away that they would be saved. And when all hope was gone, the Lord pulled it off.
We have had an interesting week. A week ago last Wednesday we checked a girl out of the mental hospital to stay with us. Janice (35 years old) had stayed with us several times before but three months ago it was obvious she had serious mental problems and Pammy – along with her father and sister – checked her in to the hospital. We had visited her a couple of times but I was concerned that her eyes didn't look good. But we made arrangements to check her out to stay with us the next week. Thank God Janice has been very good but Pammy bottomed out. Wednesday night things were terrible (big fight). The next morning her sister from Lampan came to get her. I had no idea what was going to happen but two days later she sent me an e-mail saying she had been to a couple of doctors and she came back Sunday evening. Wednesday she stayed in bed all day. That afternoon I went for a walk to see my friends the Moores. While I was there Janice called saying Pammy was bad and hurry home. Dave took me home in his truck and we both were shocked to see Pammy bundled up in a winter parka. It has been 100 F every day last week but she was chilled to the bone. High fever. With considerable effort, Dave and I were able to load her in his truck and took her to the emergency entrance at the local hospital. I had no idea what was going to happen but after three hours the fever was down and they released her to go home. The next day she wasn't good and asked to go back to the hospital. This time they put her in a large ward and 24/7 IV. I was really komatta (big problem). I had two sick women on my hands and the mental one on medication was the best. The doctor said Pammy's problem was her kidneys but Saturday noon she was discharged again, healed. No fever. I have no idea what is going on. The fever was real. That was a fact, but to me the big problem seems to be more attitude than physical. She goes from near death to good health within minutes depending on which way the wind is blowing.
Pammy volunteered to have Janice live with us. She has a big heart in being willing, and desirous, of taking needy people in. But – without exception – every time we have had people, there has always been problems. The worst was when we took three year old Annie in to be our daughter and then Pammy wouldn't come home nights to take care of her own daughter. Consequently we lost Annie. He had another boy from Sweden with us last month, but last lasted a few days before there was a huge eruption. I have very serious misgivings on how long Janice can stay with us. There is an enormous problem there now. I am really in a tough spot as Janice has no place to go and Pammy is not in a position to meet her needs. Last week it looked to me like Janice was going to wind up in a zoo, or worse, Pammy was going back to Lampan, and I was looking somewhat longingly at the east shore of the pond. If someone would send me a plane ticket and an invitation to speak somewhere, it would be difficult not to take that as guidance to head for America.
I married Pammy because I felt that Jesus had brought her and set her before me. It was my call to accept what He placed before me or reject it. It was easier to say yes to Jesus than no. I didn't seek it, I didn't ask for it, and I didn't want to marry her. I did it as an act of obedience to Jesus. But, man howdy, this has been a challenge.
Pammy is an extremely strong will woman. She has had her own way all her life and it is next to impossible for her to be under authority. I made a vow to God and to her to be her husband; to love her, protect her, and provider for her – and I mean to keep my vow. The vow was “for better or for worse”. Good health and proper conduct have nothing to do with it. Regardless of the performance of the other partner wedding vows are one way. It is not 50 – 50. It is 100 – 0. But to expect Pammy to perform according to the scripture is like asking the legless to walk. Of course God is able to give grace to anyone to do His will, but there are millions where this doesn't work out. To the bitter end, Rosemary was never able to accept that our marriage was the will of God. She never had one gram of love for me. She asked the Lord to give her love for me but when He didn't she knew it was not His will for her to love me, and, obviously, He had directed the divorce. (Don't argue with me about the theology. I'm not saying I agree with this but that is the way it was presented and worked out. The Christian counselors at Link Care agreed with Rosemary.) In Pammy's case it seems cruel to force her to be something that is totally against her DNA. She does not want out but she is deeply disappointed that the Lord did not give her a husband who would be more supportive and help her in her ministry. It is death to her to have to sit down and let someone else be in charge. Over a year ago she blew out with the Thai pastor of the church where we were going. I agreed that it was not wise for her to continue going to that church. She had led a number of people to the Lord and wanted to start her own church. I said NO, but the Philadelphia Home Church came into being anyway.. After six months it started to look reasonably good and I said I would be the pastor. But that didn't work out. Finally it ground down to zero and for two months no one showed up. I went back to work with Pastor Kichikun. When Pammy was in Lampan two weeks ago I took the sign down and explained to her why. The other night she challenged me, “Who gave you the authority to take that sign down?” I replied, “Who gave you the authority to put it up?”
Last night we had two of her sisters, a brother-in-law, and an aunt stay with us. None are saved. I thought it would be best to stay here this morning, and have our own service to allow me to talk to them about the resurrection. It was the most ridiculous Resurrection Sunday Service I was ever in. I sat there like a trained dog waiting to be called to jump through the hoop while Pammy did her thing. No one was singing or cared to do anything. Finally Pammy called on me to give my message. It was one of the more pained moments of my life. Fortunately I have had experience enough to be able to handle it but it was a message like you never heard. Bless her heart, she simply cannot translate. I will say something like, “Jesus rose from the dead” and Pammy will go on for ten minutes talking about anything that might be associated with the resurrection. Even after reading two or three verses she will go on for five minutes expounding on them. Conservatively, her talk is four or five times longer than mine. And to deviate in anyway from what she wants to do is an act of war. I have no idea how long my message was. At times she would get involved in an extended Thai conversation with her sister and I have no idea what they are talking about. I asked, “Would you like me to continue my message or shall we quit here?”
My heart goes out to her. She feels terribly oppressed. By asking her to toe the line is torture. To expect her to act like a submissive wife following me is like asking a dog to climb a tree.
Today is Resurrection Sunday. Time and again I have seen Jesus bring life out of impossible situations. Paul gave up all hope they would be saved. I sit here with water pouring over my head and wonder where this ship is going?
Father, hallowed be Thy Name, Thy Kingdom come (PLEASE); Thy will be done in this house just like it is done in heaven. Lord if You would do this for us we will be saved. If not I would rather die than dishonor Your Name further. May Your Son be glorified in me, in my body, in Pammy, and Janice. Show us Your way and Your salvation. Lord, please do it.
                                             bill

1 comment: