2 April 2017
Dear Phyllis,
Recently
it came to me that I have written very little about the language
school. This is odd as the Karuizawa Japanese Language School was
central for 20% of my life.
As
Karuizawa has always been known as the missionary center of Japan, when
the war was over and hundreds of new missionaries came, there was a
large community of nearly 100 (mostly TEAM) missionaries who were
gathered for language study. In the early days there was no school but
the various ladies teaching went from house to house teaching
missionaries. In 1961 John Schone thought it would be more efficient to
have everyone gather in one place to study there, and that was the birth
of the language school in the old TEAM center. In 1961, as I was in the
process of leaving the Air Force, I went to Karuizawa to seek the Lord
for guidance. While there the Lord confirmed my call to Japan and I
asked John if I could study there. He accepted me and I first started
studying in February 1962.
Eventually
there were more non-TEAMers studying in the school than TEAM
missionaries and there was talk about closing the school. But Karuizawa
was too strategic a place to close the school so in 1967 three other
missions got together with TEAM to sponsor the reorganized Karuizawa
language school. I happened to be in Karuizawa as I had just finished my
second attempt to get the language, and, in August, I was number five
on the list of men who were asked to be the director.
I
am no scholar and felt totally unqualified to be the director of a
school. Harvey Taylor was studying in Hawaii to get a doctorate in
Nihongo (Japanese) and was coming to take the school in December. I
promised the language committee that I would keep the door open until
Harvey could get there. He never made it and I wound up being the
director for the next 13 years.
As
I had no qualifications to be the director of a language school I
promised the Lord that, at a minimum, I would see that Jesus was in
charge. I vowed I would have nothing to do with liberals, anyone who
wasn't serious about serving Jesus, or hire a non-Christian teacher.
Because of my intense convictions Karuizawa wound up being the only true
Christian language school in Japan.
In
1974, when we were in the states for furlough, Dick Dennis was standing
in as the temporary director. There was a girl in town that had been
born with her hip out of joint. Unfortunately no one put it in place so
Takei san wound up with one leg shorter than the other. Like all girls
Takei dreamed of being married and having a family but no one in Japan
was interested in marrying a crippled girl. Looking for happiness, Takei
had gotten, and Dick brought her into the school as a teacher. When we
got back to Japan that summer my buddy and assistant, Koji, told me the
school was in an uproar over Takei. He said, “We have to fire her”.
I
was dragging my heals but in October the time came when I had to give
her a pink slip. I asked our head teacher, Sasaki sensei, to do the
difficult task of telling her she was finished. Half an hour later
Sasaki sensei came out and told me that Takei wanted to speak with me.
Man howdy that was tough. Takei was quietly weeping and very apologetic.
It was Wednesday and she asked me if I wanted her to quit then. I said,
“No, finish the week out and we will terminate things Friday”. Friday
came and I couldn't make the schedule without her. I asked her to finish
the month and I would get a new teacher then. The end of the month came
and I couldn't make the schedule without her and asked her to stay one
more month. That went on. By February students were asking me if they
could study with Takei sensei. I remarked, “What in the world? Students
are threatening to quit school if they got stuck with her and you are
asking for her full time?” Ron and Katie Scisco said, “She is she best
teacher in the school”. That saved her. By the end of the year Takei
sensei wound up being the number two most popular teacher we had, and in
a couple of years Takei sensei was probably the finest Japanese
instructor in Japan.
I
only compromised my convictions about hiring an unsaved teacher one
time. Mrs. Hoshino had asked if she could be a teacher. Because she was a
Kyodan believer (Kyodan is liberal) I had refused her. But then, one
time, I desperately needed a new teacher and the Lord told me to hire
her. That was my second greatest surprise.
Shortly
after Toshiko came in the school, I tried to start a Bible study in a
friends house in Naka Karuizawa. Toshiko Hoshino asked me if she could
come. The Bible study lasted one time and the door was closed. Toshiko
asked me if I would come to her house for the Bible study. The Hoshinos
were one of the wealthiest, most powerful, families in Nagano-ken
(prefecture). Her husband wasn't too happy about having a Bible study in
his home and was 20 minutes late in showing up. The second night he was
10 minutes late coming in, and the third night Saburo was standing at
the door to welcome me. The Bible study was incredible. Man howdy we had
a good time. After three months Saburo began to show all the signs of a
born-again man. I asked him, “Saburo, are you saved?” He replied,
“Praise God, I am!” “Saburo, how did you get saved?”
“When
you first came here I wasn't too happy.” I knew that. “But then I began
to understand something about sin. Then I realized I was a sinner. You
told us Jesus died for sinners. And finally I believed Jesus died for
me.” That Bible study in the Hoshinos home was one of the best Bible
studies I have ever had. Week after week we would get together around
the Word of God and it was like being in heaven. And Toshiko blossomed
out to be the finest Christian we had in the language school.
One
year we were going to the lepresarium in Kusatsu for dendo. The night
before the furnace went out in my house. If I didn't get that fix that
day the water pipes in my house would freeze and I had to cancel going
with them. That meant there was no interpreter. When the gang from the
school got to the lepresarium they were taken to a sound studio. The
nurse handed them a mike and told them they could speak to 1,000
patients. No one wanted to talk. When Bob Shade saw everyone was holding
back he stepped forward and said, “Give me that mike.” Bob had only
been studying four months and his Nihongo level at that time was
pitiful. When Toshiko saw Bob stammering with extremely limited speech
she was convicted in her heart and said, “If that gaijin (foreigner) is
willing to use what little language he has; as a native speaker, what
excuse do I have for not speaking up for Jesus?” She vowed in her heart
that she would never decline any opportunity to stand up for Jesus and
share the Gospel. And she kept that vow.
The
language school was a lot of fun. Those were some of the happiest most
blessed days of my life. In my wildest imagination I never dreamed of
that being in my portfolio, but anything Jesus places in our hand, or
job He gives us to do, is a gift from God.
Oh, thank You Lord,
bill
No comments:
Post a Comment