23 July 2017
Dear Phyllis,
Perhaps
the most profound, mysterious, and instructive word in the Bible is IN.
Nothing could be simpler than those two letters and yet what a
fathomless volume of information it carries. IN is the word that brings
two objects together in the most in the most intimate and inseparable
manner. IN is the word that describes how two objects radically alter
each other. To say there is a little arsenic in lemon aide totally
changes the character of the lemon aide. Lemon aide by itself is very
good and healthful. Put a little arsenic in it and the lemon aid becomes
deadly. To say there is $1,000 in a cardboard box totally changes the
value of that cardboard box. By itself we would throw the cardboard box
in the trash. It is worthless. Put $1,000 in it and that box becomes a
treasure. Not because of the box but because of what is in it. Jesus
said that the Kingdom of God is like a treasure hid in a field. By
itself that field is only worth what it can produce, but if there is a
treasure hid in it that is a totally different picture. The word that
brings two objects together is that simple predicate IN.
It
has been suggested that the key word of Ephesians is IN. In the first
two chapters we find it written 18 times. That is the word that
describes what God has done for us and our inestimable blessing we have
IN CHRIST. IN is the key word of 2 Cor. 5:17 that says, “If any man be
IN Christ he is a new creature”. This is the most important word in our
life. This is the word that determines whether or not we have life or
death – heaven or hell. It all depends on IN. The value of any mundane
object is determined by what is IN it.
Last
week I wrote you that he Lord spoke to me about oneness expressed in
Jesus' prayer in John 17. This week He spoke to me about IN. I was
deeply impressed with what Jesus said in verse 21 - “As Thou Father art
IN Me and I IN Thee”. Oh my goodness, what a truth! 2 Cor. 5:19 tells
us. “To wit that God was IN Christ...” That was what made Christ so
unusual – God was in Him. He was just an ordinary man but God was in
Him. He was the embodiment of God that had never been seen on this
planet. He was just a carpenter but God was in Him.
The
truth that impressed me so deeply this past week was the fact that
Christ is in us. Who can take that in? Christ is in us!!! Can it be
real?! The evidence is overwhelming that it is true. How else can you
explain the radical difference that comes to a person when they are
born-again? Sangha impresses me every day. He is a totally different man
than he was five years ago. The other day he told me, “I used to be
terrible afraid of death, but now it doesn't mean a thing to me.” Why?
Because he now has eternal life. That life cannot die – it is eternal.
He loves the Word of God. He reads his Bible every night. He has an
insatiable passion for the Word of God. The unsaved know nothing of
this. How in the world can a man be so changed? Jesus came into his
heart. Christ is in him. Just as God was in Christ Jesus, Christ is in
Sangha.
But
what Jesus said in His prayer in John 17:19 has both a subject and
object truth. He said, “As Thou Father art IN Me and I IN Thee. The
Father being in Christ was subjective but Christ being in the Father was
objective. Just as Jesus was in the Father we are in Christ. Don't ask
me to explain it. I can't. No one can. It is totally beyond human
intellect to comprehend how we can be in Christ, but the Holy Spirit
testifies that we are. There is such a thing as positional
santification. We are santified by our position in Christ. That is the
central message of Ephesians. Christ in us is subjective but we being in
Christ is objective. Both are true. The Father was in Jesus and Jesus
was in the Father. During the 2nd WW bomb shelters were basic
in London. There was a terrible war going on topside. The city was
being leveled. But deep underground it was safe in the bomb shelters.
There is the famous picture titled “Peace”. It is a painting of a
terrific storm at sea. Massive waves are crashing down on a rock. But
hidden in that rock is a little bird. The little bird could care less
about those waves. She is hidden in the rock. So we are hidden in
Christ. But how did we get there? We all know the answer of how Christ
came to live in our heart. We accepted Him. When we said yes to Jesus He
came in. But how did we get in Christ? Paul give us the answer to that
question in 1 Cor. 1:30 - “But of Him (God) are ye in Christ Jesus”. It
was God that placed us in Christ. That was an act of God and we had
nothing to do with it. If God does not place us in Christ there is not a
thing we can do about it. That is totally a sovereign act of His will.
If God doesn't place us in Christ there is no other way we can get
there. But if God places us in Christ is think that is pretty secure
place to be.
As
I was going over John 17 last week it was mind boggling when I
considered verse 21 where Jesus prayed, “As Thou Father art in Me and I
in Thee, that they might all be one in Us”. Gomen Phyllis. I know this
is meaningless. It is like playing a high note on a violin to a deaf
man. There is no way we can take in the truth and reality of that
statement. It is like tying to measure how far it is to the farthest
star. They say the Hubble telescope can see as far as 10 to the 28 power
miles. I can't write that number. Maybe we would be better off looking
at the moon. At least we can see that with our naked eye. But I was
deeply impressed by the power of that little two letter word IN last
week and the truth the Holy Spirit spoke to me about the relationship
Jesus expressed in John 17 - “As Thou Father art in Me and I in Thee...”
That is the same relationship that we enjoy today by being in Christ.
As much as it is a fact that the Father was in Christ, it is equally
true that Jesus is in us. And just as Christ was in the Father, by an
act of His will we are in Christ. Oh my goodness, what can be higher?!
And then Jesus went on to pray that “they might be one in Us”. I don't
know what that means but I am sure it is wonderful.
That
little two letter word has joined us to the godhead. That little word
has made it a reality that Jesus lives in my heart and tells me that I
am in Christ. Just as a diamond in a box changes the value of that box
Christ in me radically alters who I am. A box may be worth a penny but
if a diamond is in it I better take good care of it. By myself I am not
worth much but if Christ is in me that means I better think differently
and be careful how I live. It has been accuractly said that the Blood of
Christ is the price God has placed on each soul. I wouldn't place that
price tag on anybody but God has. And when Christ comes into a human
heart His presence makes that person something of infinite worth.
Pammy
has been real vocal recently about going to the states. She keeps
asking, “Can we go to America?” My reply has consistently been, “Yes,
just as soon as the Lord sends us.” I don't have much faith or
expectation for that trip but if the Lord would so direct it would be
good to see you. And I want you to meet this unusual partner that the
Lord has given me for the last few miles on my way to heaven.
Gomen
nasai for what is probably a dull letter but the reality of what God
has done for us by inserting the two letter IN in our lives is truly
mind boggling.
Gombate (give it your best shot) for Jesus this week,
Joyfully in Christ,
bill
No comments:
Post a Comment