10 September 2017
Dear Phyllis,
This
is nothing new but last week the Lord reminded me again of the
importance of fire. It is not without significance that we see the order
of the message God has given us in His Word. In Genesis we see the men
of the family God has chosen to be His people – Noah, Abraham, Isaac,
Jacob, and Joseph. In Exodus we see God drawing His people out of Egypt
and establishing His tabernacle to dwell among them. Then the next thing
we see in Leviticus is instruction concerning offerings.
My
goodness, if this isn't the first message to give to those who choose
to follow the Lord, what is? Another word for offering is sacrifice.
Somehow this seems to be a silent word in Christianity in America
today. Let's hear some preaching on sacrifice. How in the world these
idiots (That isn't the right word. They are false prophets) of the
champions of the prosperity gospel (?) came up with that message is a
mystery to me. They certainly didn't get it from the Bible. The
prosperity gospel is the perfect antithesis of the central message of
the Bible. Jesus never taught it. Jesus' message was to give up all,
take up a cross and follow Him. Where do you get prosperity in that? The
Jesus Family in China had a motto of five words – sacrifice, abandonment, poverty, suffering, and death.
If this is what you were after you were welcome to join them. If not,
please don't apply for membership. And they were the genesis of the
present day Back to Jerusalem Movement. Maybe I missed it, somehow but
it looks to me like the word of the Lord teaches, is not what can I get out of it but what can I give to Jesus. If offerings and sacrifices are not the foundational message of the Bible what is?
In
the OT every time a man met with God it was at an altar. If we would
have more encounters with God perhaps there should be more altars in our
life. But if there was a sacrifice laid on the altar there was one more
element that was necessary – fire. A phrase that was repeated
over and over in the initial chapters of Leviticus was “it is an
offering made by fire, a sweet savour unto the Lord.” If the offering is
to be a sweet savour unto the Lord it must have fire. Any offering laid
on the altar is just dead meat until it is consumed by fire. Fire less
altars attract more flies than the blessing of God. If want our lives to
be a sweet savoir to God the one essential element is fire – and that
falls on altars not Christmas trees. I believe the Holy Spirit is more
interested in anointing a sacrifice than getting a new bicycle for
Christmas.
I'm
sure I wrote to you before about my series of messages on the seven
Spirits of God in Revelation (Rev. 1:4, 3:1, 4:5, 6). That was one of
the most enlightening series I ever preached. One of the points that I
got from it was a strong conviction that one of the seven Spirits of God
is the Spirit of Fire. There is a tremendous amount of material in all
the Bible to substantiate that point, but one is what John said about
Jesus that he would “baptize with the Holy Spirit and fire”. And when
the Holy Spirit came at Pentecost He came on the believers as tongues of
fire. If there is one attribute that is universal to anyone filled with
the Holy Spirit is they are “on fire for God”. Jesus said of John that
“he was a burning and a shinning light” (Jn. 5:35).
The Holy Spirit is the one indispensable element that we need in our
lives. Take the Holy Spirit out of our lives all we will have is dead
orthodoxy. There is no heat in that. One of the primary effects of heat
is that it will melt ice. DL Moody said of his experience listening to
Henry Moorhouse preach on John 3:16; “As I sat there listening the
iceberg in my heart began to melt”. The other night I was listening to a
number of excellent testimonies of salvation on You Tube. The
temperament of these believers varied considerably but, when they got to
the point where Jesus came into their heart, without exception,
everyone broke down and wept. My own experience in preaching, when I
feel the Holy Spirit coming on me strongly tears begin to flow. In
fellowshipping with friends a consistent phenomenon is, when the Holy
Spirit moves tears flow. Peter Xu's Born-again house church group in
China - of which there were 6, 000, 000 Christians – they were known as
the weepers. Those critical of this group falsely claimed that they
insisted all believers must weep. Peter Xu denied this accusation, but
it certainly is understandable why their enemies would think so. There
was so much of the Holy Spirit in their meetings it would be difficult
not to weep. In my opinion, anyone who claims to be filled with the Holy
Spirit and does not break into tears when they talk about Jesus is
questionable. I remember attending Kichijoi meetings in Kobe where, for
one year, I never was in a meeting where you couldn't look around the
room and see tears trickling down cheeks. Melting ice certainly is one
of the evidences of heat.
I
was in a prayer meeting a couple years ago where a young girl showed up
that I had never seen before. Consistently, every week those meetings
were really dead prayer meetings but, my goodness, did we have church
that night! What a phenomenon! That girl was absolutely dominant. Seldom
had I heard prayer like that. I was tremendously curious about this
unusual girl and spoke to her at the end of the meeting. I asked, “Where
are you from?” She replied, “I'm Chinese.” “Okay, now I understand.”
The heat coming of that girl was tremendous. If I ever saw a person who
was on fire for God it was that young lady.
But
there can be an enthusiasm that is just natural temperament. Just
because someone is excited and all over the place is not necessarily an
evidence of the Holy Spirit. Of the many conference speakers I heard in
Karuizawa the two men that I would rate as the most Spirit filled men
were two of the most low keyed. One was JB Friends from South Africa.
Brother Friends was one of the weakest men I ever met. Shaking hands
with him was like picking up a dead fish. He looked like, if you said
“boo!”, he would jump out of his skin. But when he stood to preach I
feared he would tare the pulpit apart. How the power of God would come
down on his message. More than any man I ever met the Holy Spirit came
through him unfiltered. The Lord was so clear because, as a natural man,
there was no one else there. The second most impressive speaker was Bob
Smith of Bethel college. He was so unimpressive and dull, when he began
a message you would look at your watch and wonder, “How long do I have
to endure this?” An hour later you would look at your watch again and
wonder, “What happened?” Bob Smith would drone on in almost a monotone
and yet his message was so gripping you would forget where you were.
Again, the only thing you could say was this was the Holy Spirit.
The
point is this; if we are serious about walking with and serving Jesus,
the question we must ask ourselves is, what is the altar in my life?
What am I sacrificing for Jesus? And to what degree is the fire of God
burning in my heart? It takes the fire to convert the solid state of
meat of the sacrifice into the gaseous state of smoke. And it takes the
Holy Spirit to convert the natural things we offer Him into spiritual
realities. And where that happens there is the sweet savour unto the
Lord.
Lord Jesus, help us to make this real,
bill
No comments:
Post a Comment