Sunday, October 29, 2017

Japenese Earthquake of 2011

29 October 2017

Dear Phyllis,

In 2011 I had one of the strangest missions the Lord ever sent me on. I had just gotten back to Thailand from a trip to Japan when the historic Tohoku earthquake/tsunami leveled the Sendai area of Japan. Neil Verwey knew that I had been involved in relief work when the major earthquake struck Kobe in 1995 and called me asking how long it would take to get back to Japan to go to Sendai. Remembering that in Kobe thousands of people were buried under mountains of rubble I knew that time was critical and paid double price to get to Ikoma 12 hours early. Tim Cole was the director of missionary relief. He knew that I had been in Sendai building a Bible school there and called Neil asking if he knew how he could get in touch with me. Neil said, “Bill is in the air right now and will be here in two hours”. Japan Mission prepared a truck for me that was so overloaded that the tires waddled as I drove out of their headquarters. Nearly all the main roads from Tokyo to Sendai were closed. To get there I drove up the west coast of Japan and came down to Sendai from the northwest. I pulled out of the Japan Mission headquarters at 2:00 AM and drove nonstop 21 hours arriving at the Bible school at 11:00 PM Saturday night.

The next morning, after worship service at the Bible school, I asked Nagai sensei, the principal of the school, what he was going to do that afternoon. He said, “Cut firewood”. “Cut firewood??? Here we have one of the most historic earthquakes in history and you are going to cut firewood?” “I don't have any gas for my car.” “Look, I brought half a dozen jerry cans of gasoline and a truck load of relief supplies.” That afternoon we put some gasoline in his car and drove 20 K to Sendai. We went to a church in the center of Sendai to see if there was anything we could do to help. The pastor told us some believers had suffered a little but no fatalities. Unlike Kobe, in Sendai there was little visual evidence of collapsed buildings. Then we drove to the coast. Oh my goodness! I had never seen anything like it. For nearly two hundred miles along the east coast of Japan it looked exactly like someone had taken a giant spatula or putty knife and scraped the surface of the earth. They had placed everything in a blender, and then re-plastered that paste back on the earth. The earth was covered with a coating of trash about waist deep of huge piles of what had been buildings, refrigerators, cars, trucks, children toys, and what had been towns. The paste was so even there was no difference between what had been towns and rice fields. I knew in a moment that there were no survivors. Unlike an earthquake, in a tsunami there only two types of people – those who fled and those who didn't. If you are caught in a tsunami your chance of survival is zero.

The relief mission was maddening. There were tens of thousands of people who had lost everything but the civil governments had stepped forward to handle all the relief work. I met many teams who had come from all over the world to help and we were all milling around with nothing to do. Franklin Graham's organization, Samaritan's Purse, had leased a Boeing 747 to fly 97 tons of relief supplies to Japan. I talked to the director of that mission and he told me that he had been in 37 different countries on relief missions and the coordination of churches in Japan was the worst he had ever seen. It looked like my expensive relief mission had been one colossal waste of time and money.

Before I had left Ikoma Neil Verwey had given me almost unlimited funds to buy anything I needed for the mission in Sendai. I had gone to a hardware store in Ikoma and saw a come-along. A come-along is an unusual devise of a metal box with a ratchet and handle, where you can crank the handle back and forth to pull tons of pressure along an unlimited length of cable. They are a wonderful device, but very expensive – nearly $1,000. Remembering my experience in Kobe, I thought that is exactly the tool I will need in Sendai, and bought one. My chain saw was invaluable in Kobe so I bought a chain saw also.

While I was sitting at the Bible school day after day with nothing to do, a sister from the church came over with a desperate problem. An old bath house was sitting on her property that had tipped over during the earthquake and was leaning against the house next door. The neighbor was furious and demanded that she fix the problem. Was there anyone who could help her? Man howdy, that is a difficult job. You are talking about an awful lot of money. That could only be done by professionals with a crane. I was probably one of the very few carpenters in Sendai with a come-along and that was exactly the tool needed for that job. It took me three days using the chain saw and come-along, and I was able to successfully tear the bath house down. The dear sister was speechless with gratitude that I was able to solve that problem for free. It was a major miracle that I had exactly the tools needed to do that job. But that wasn't the main miracle.

While working over there I noticed that she had a large butsudan. A butsudan is a large cabinet where they keep idols and worship spirits everyday. Nearly every house in Japan has one, and when someone gets saved the butsdan is the first thing to go. If someone gets saved but doesn't get rid of the butsudan it is like having a speed boat with the propeller going, but the boat still tied to the pier. The sister had been saved for many years but had never thrown out the butsudan. I asked, “What in the world are you doing with that filth thing in your house?”, and offered to haul it away for her. But she answered, “I don't worship at it any more, and, yes, I know I should get rid of it, but...” The last day I pushed the issue to the limit. I did everything short of ringing blood out of her nose. If anyone doubts the power of the devil it was on full display that day. She finally wound up crumpled on the floor crying, but I couldn't move her. With mix emotions of disgust, sorrow, and frustration I drove away thinking, “I came all this way only to loose to the devil”. But God's miracle was on the way.

Two days later she called the school and asked, “Could you have Bill come back here to get my butsudan?”. I was huge- six feet tall – but oh the joy to load that thing on my truck and burn it at the Bible school. I was grateful that I was able to do that job, and the dear sister was floating with joy to be free from the devil who had kept her in bondage for years.

In retrospect it looked like my main mission in Sendai was to burn that butsudan. I wondered at the wisdom of traveling 12,000 kilometers to burn a butsudan. But then Jesus had gone on at least two trips to reach only one person. He had gone to the Gadarenes to free the demonic living in tombs (Mk. 5:1-20). And His longest trip was to Tyre to help the Syrophenician woman with the demonized daughter (Mk. 7:24-30). I thought, “This is amazing, the Lord thought so much of that sister that He sent me 12,000 kilometers to come from Chiang Mai, Thailand to Sendai, Japan; and then pay $1,300 to buy the tools I needed to do that job”. But then again when we consider that God sent His Son from heaven to this earth to shed His Blood for us, and the horrific price that Jesus paid to save us; maybe a little extra yen isn't too bad a deal.

Praise the Lord,
                              bill

No comments:

Post a Comment