Dear Phyllis,
Hallelujah!!! Today is Resurrection Sunday! Today we
celebrate Our Lord’s victory over death. Our little fellowship here has been
considerably less than a blessing for a long time and usually it is more ganman
than a blessing to preach here, but this morning the Lord met with us in a
marvelous way. During the week, as I was considering what to preach on, one of
my favorite verses came to mind – “and Peter” (Mk. 16:7). That has got to be
one of the most powerful two words in the Bible. What a volume of emotion it
expresses! I think that is one of the most gracious words in the Scriptures.
What a volume of relief that spoke to a man who was locked into a dungeon of despair!
But then as I began to think about all that happened that day, my mind
ultimately came to the experience of three representative souls that the Lord
revealed Himself to the first resurrection Sunday.
Obviously, the first one was Mary. The significant feature,
why she was so honored to be the first one the Lord met with, was her passion.
Her theology was somewhat lacking and she did some “foolish” things, but her
passion for the Lord was marvelously rewarded in being the first one to speak
with the Risen Lord. This is – of course – our greatest deficiency. We wonder
why we enjoy so little of the Lord’s presence and blessing in our lives, and I
believe we don’t have to search much further than our frosty hearts. If we had
more of a passion for the Lord, perhaps we would see more of the Lord
ourselves.
The second representative was Peter. He was brim full of
confidence but didn’t know his own heart. When he said he was ready to die for
the Lord he meant it and proved it when he pulled out the sword and dove into
that crowd of soldiers. He fully expected to be cut down in the fray but he was
determined to go down fighting. Then the Lord told him to put up his sword and
he stood there embarrassed at his own foolishness and the Lord’s strange
passivity. Three hours later he uncorked in front of that little girl and swore
“I don’t know what you are talking about. I don’t know that guy!” Then the Lord
turned and looked at him and his world disintegrated. John was standing by the
Cross to the final end, but there was no mention where Peter was during that
horrible day and the one following. It is a miracle that we don’t read about
Peter going out to commit suicide. Then the Lord sent a special message to him
via an angel and the women, “Go tell the disciples AND
PETER…” That must have been a shaft of light in his darkened soul, but he still
wasn’t sure until the Lord Himself met with him a few hours later (Lk 24:34).
When these disciples exasperatedly poured out their heart
about all the turmoil in Jerusalem
over the execution of Jesus of Nazareth ,
it is interesting that He didn’t rebuke them for not believing the testimony of
the women who told them that Jesus was alive. He said, “O fools and slow of
heart to believe the SCRIPTURE!” (verse 25). Then “beginning at Moses and all
the prophets, He expounded unto them in all the Scripture the things concerning
Himself.” (verse 27). I wish someone had recorded that. I would love to listen
to that conversation. I would love to know what verses He talked about. It was
as He was expounding the Scripture to them that their hearts burned within them
(verse 32). This morning I asked our few believers (four others), “Have you
ever experienced this; as you read the Bible your heart burned within you?” After very serious thought, each one replied,
“Yes I have.” There was a tremendous sense that Jesus indeed met with us this
morning.
Somehow the distance to heaven seems shortened. Phyllis we
didn’t lose Ted this year. He is not dead. He is no more removed from us than
when our children went to the states for education. It was true that there was
an ocean between us, but the separation was only momentary. The great thing
about Ted is that he isn’t coming back here, but we are going there to see him.
And that won’t be long.
People ask me from time to time if I would like to be
remarried. Obviously that is a thought that has gone through my brain a great
deal, but somehow it seems a little foolish. Hopefully, I won’t be around here
much longer and I would hate to marry someone and then skip out on them after a
year or two. If I knew I had to put in another 20 years in this sandy wilderness,
it sure would be nice to have a partner, but – hopefully – we are very near the
wire and I can hold on for a few more months. Beside it would be a shame to
give up the expendable status the Lord has given me. That would cut down on the
ministry. The Lord has given me the privilege to do some things in Laos
and Vietnam
that would be highly questionable for a family man.
Last week my good friends, Mark and Astrid Seibert, from
Chiang Mai were here. We had a fabulous time going down to the Kansai. We spent
the first night with my friends the Hirotas in Ikoma. Miyuki is the greatest
hang-in-there gal I have ever met. When they were married his father was
fierce! He was a powerful shacho (company president) and adamantly opposed to
the Gospel. While we were there the Hirotas shared the testimony of what
happened to him. As this terrifying old man got older Miyuki led him around
like a little lamb. Finally he got so weak they stuck him in a hospital and
then he came down with pneumonia that looked like it might take his life. When
the old man knew he was facing death he protested, “I can’t die yet – I’m not
saved!” That was the first time he ever said anything like that. Then they
moved him to a new hospital. One day one of the nurses asked Miyuki, “Ojii san ga,
nani ka no shukyo o yatte iru no desu ka?” (Does he practice some kind of
religion?) “He refuses to eat until he says table grace.” They were bikkuri at
that. Then his relatives came from Taiwan
with some Buddhist trash to help him die. When they showed up with these idols
he sent them packing saying, “I don’t need that junk! I’m a Christian!” Miyuki
and Hirota san were thrilled. And they were tremendously grateful to the Lord
when their father finally made it safely across the River. You would have to
know this fierce man to appreciate this testimony, but when I think of where
they started from and where they wound up I can’t help but laugh.
Mark has got a large number of folks coming to Chiang Mai
for Bible courier service into Vietnam
and Laos in
May. He is really komaru and asked me to get down there to take a group of
these young people into Laos .
On my last trip I was able to set up a new route into north central Laos
and I am the only one that knows those contacts. That means I have to get back
to Chiang Mai by May 18th to take these folks to Siang Khouang.
These folks from a Bible school have requested the hardest route Mark has and
that has got to be it. Laotians don’t recommend gaijins to take the bus in that
area as it is dangerous with bandits and a real bone crusher of a trip. Only
the most hardy souls could make that one. If they want a challenge they should
be thrilled. It is the hardest course I know in the Orient. We also have
several runs scheduled into Vietnam
but we don’t know whether or not Mark and I can get in. Mark got turned back at
the airport in Saigon the last time. I have to get a new
passport in a couple of months and will see if that helps me. If we are on a
bad blacklist that would greatly restrict our ministry in Vietnam .
(I did send you a copy of the last dendo trip report where we were arrested
didn’t I?)
David sent me an amazing E-mail some time ago but I just
worked up nerve enough to read it last week. It is the best letter he has ever
sent me. He is not where I wished he was spiritually, but he seems to be much
better than I had thought. He said in another ten days he hoped to close a deal
that was in the eight digit bracket. If that came through he planned to retire
this year. He said in another year or two he hoped to set up a fund to finance
my SEA dendo by about $200,000 a year. I appreciate
the offer but I assured him that dendo was financed by a different account.
Lord willing, I hope I never will be in a position where he has to carry me.
The Lord’s work is always financed by Temple
currency and to get that you have to convert mammon for the Lord’s gold. I
refuse to use unconverted currency.
My prayers and love in Jesus are with you
daily, bill
No comments:
Post a Comment