Dear Phyllis,
This morning I was speaking at The New
Creation Church here in Mae Jo. I had a message that had been burning in my
heart for over a week, and I had no question but what that was what the Lord
wanted to say to us today. But things got totally out of hand . Thai churches
are notorious for starting late. That took a big bite out of the time. The
praise service was very good but went on for over an hour. By the time I was
introduced to speak I only had 15 minutes left. I feared the message I had
would be at least an hour and a half – if I cut it short. To try to get in an
hour and a half message in 15 minutes is pretty challenging. When I finally
stood up in the pulpit, my opening remark was, “I have no idea why I am here. I
had a very good message but left it at the front door.”From there on I was
almost speechless.
But I had had a very good time Tuesday
speaking to the Bible school. I told the story about the Moravian boys who sold
themselves to be slaves to reach those 3,000 black slaves on St Thomas Island . Their parting cry,
“May the Lamb receive the reward of His sufferings.” I reviewed the three
reasons for evangelism: (1) to make your church bigger, (2) because the lost
are going to hell, and (3) for the sake of the Lord. The first reason is
self-centered. The second is human-centered. And the third reason is for the
sake of the Lord. That theme burns deeply in my heart.
During the praise service they were singing a
very fine song with the theme “may Thailand receive the blessing
of heaven”. As they were singing that I thought, there is something wrong with
this picture. The thought came to me; rather than being concerned that the
blessing of heaven come to Thailand , shouldn't our
passion be ; “May Thailand be won for Jesus”? As I thought about this, tears
flowed down my cheeks. I pleaded with the Lord that Thailand , Japan , Vietnam , Laos , China , and other countries
become the Lord's possession. Jesus shed His blood to buy back these countries
for the Father. Shouldn't our concern be that they become His possession rather
than the blessing of heaven come to Thailand ?
They sang another song that basically was
alright. It was honoring to the Lord, but the last line said,“when Jesus died above
all He thought of me”.Evangelistically speaking this sounds very good, but
I really don't think that was primary in Christ's mind as He died on the Cross.
I don't believe His main thought was focused on sinners, but a deadly
commitment to honor the Father and do the will of God. I suspect that His
thoughts were more on the Father rather than being concerned for sinners. This
smacks close to humanism. I felt like hitting that hard when I got up to speak,
but I only mentioned the first point that our main motivation should be more
for the Lord's profit than for what we can get out of salvation.
After devoting seven minutes to that subject
I told the folks that my message this morning was to be on spiritual fragrance.
In dealing with the subject of spiritual fragrance,I reminded the folks there that
we simultaneously live in two worlds. Of course no one will question that we
live in a material world. But along with the material world, we also live in a
spiritual world. It is hardly necessary to try to prove that point as everybody
in Thailand lives in fear of
evil spirits. The Thais are very conscious of the spirit world. Just as we are
related to the material world through our five sense; the same five senses
exist in the spiritual world. There are numerous references to looking unto
Jesus, or look to the Lord. (Sight) The Bible speaks a great deal about hearing
the Voice of God; or God speaking. (Sound) We talk about touching the Lord.
(Feel) The scripture speaks of “Of taste the Lord”, “If any man thirst” and
such verses that deal with (Taste). And finally there is such a thing as
spiritual fragrance. (Smell) The Song of Solomon deals more with spiritual
fragrance than any other portion of scripture.
But if a person wants to preach on spiritual
fragrance, of course, the basic passage is the gospels account of Mary's
anointing Jesus. It is highly significant that Jesus singled out this event and
said, “Wheresoever this Gospel shall be preached throughout the whole world,
this also that she hath done shall be spoken of for a memorial of her.” (Mt. 26:13;
Mk. 14:9). Of all the events in the life of Christ, this is the only one that
He singled out that would go together with the Gospel message. Watchman Nee
suggests that the reason for this might be because this is what the Gospel is
supposed to produce. Whatever the reason, there is no question but what that
events sets forth spiritual fragrance as it is found in no other place in the
NT.
In Leviticus, when the first five offerings
are mentioned, each time, the phrase, a sweet savourunto the Lord, is uttered
with them (Lev. 1:9,13,17; 2:2,9). This issue of a sweet savour unto the Lord
is absolutely basic to the worship of the Lord. In Eph. 5:2, it says that
Christ “hath given Himself for us an offering and a sacrifice to God for a
sweet smelling savour”. And 2 Cor. 2:15 says that “we are
unto God a sweet savour of Christ.”
There are volumes that could be said on this
subject. That is why I say I would be hard pressed to keep a message on this
subject under an hour ad a half. But the first major point is that the sweet
savour is inseparably joined to sacrifice. In Leviticus that phrase is
always mentioned with the sacrifice. In reference to Christ, again it is that
Christ gave Himself as a sacrifice. And in the gospel account of Mary's
anointing Christ, what she did was a tremendous sacrifice. John comments that
her spikenard was “very costly”. In our offerings to Christ, if it is not
costly it is not a sacrifice. Cheap offerings can hardly be called a sacrifice.
What Mary did cost her dearly.
To Judas, and several other disciples,
they thought what she did was mottai nai (what a waste!) (Mk. 14:4). Is that
possible? Is there anything too valuable to be poured out on Jesus? Watchman
Nee told of an incident that happened to him at a very low point in his life.
Things had been going poorly with his evangelistic work. One day he was
discouraged when he met a former professor from his college days. They both
were delighted to see each other and went to a tea shop for a chat. The
professor asked how he had made out in life. He had little to show for his
efforts. Watchman Nee said his professor looked at him with pity and
remarked,“What a waste! We had such high expectations for you. You were so
gifted and we expected you to do well in life. But now look at you.”Brother Nee
said that remark was almost indescribably crushing. And then suddenly he was
filled with the spirit of glory. He thought,“How wonderful! What a privilege to
waste my life on Jesus!”
When Jim Elliot, Nate Saint, and the
other three missionary men were killed by the Akah Indians in Ecuador in 1956, the world
said, “What a waste!” But oh the glory that came to the Lord through their
sacrifice! The fragrance of their sacrifice has blessed and challenged tens of
thousands. By their sacrifice they accomplished far more than anything they
could have achieved had they lived to see 80, and the entire time be devoted to
missionary work.
If Mary had not broken that bottle of
spikenard and poured it all out on Jesus, nothing would have happened that
night. It was because the bottle was broken and poured out that the fragrance
filled the room. Brokenness is basic to spiritual fragrance.
In the five references to the
expression “sweet savour” in Leviticus 1 and 2, and the reference to Christ in
Ephesians and Christians in 2 Cor. 2:17 ; in each case it is
written “unto the Lord”. It is unto Jesus that Mary made that sacrifice, but
everybody in the house got blessed. John 12:3 says that “the house was filled
with the odour of that ointment”. This is one of the principles of spiritual
fragrance. It is not when we pour ourselves out in community service, or
humanitarian relief work; but when we are poured out in a sacrifice to Jesus
that the fragrance of Christ emanates from our lives.
All that I have said up to now was
only to be the introduction to the message that I planed to give at the New Creation Church this morning. I
didn't get to one word of it. I never opened the Bible or gave one scripture
reference. The message that I had planed to give was the OT sister passage to
Marys anointing Jesus. My text was Song of Sol. 1:12; “While the King
sitteth at His table my spikenard sendeth forth the smell thereof.”Very
clearly, this is the sister passage to what is written in Mathew, Mark, and
John. In it we see the law governing spiritual fragrance. There are three
things that are common to Song of Sol. 1:12 and the three gospel
accounts. One is that Jesus is seated at His table. In both cases it is
spikenard. And in all accounts it is the fragrance that goes forth.
One of the points that I like to
emphasize in the Song of Sol. account is that it is when the King is
seated. It is a real grief to me that we have nearly totally lost any concept
of who we are dealing with in our modern Christianity. There is a frightening
familiarity with Christ today that I feel is terribly disrespectful and
delusional. The flippancy and disrespect we show to our Lord is startling. I
respect for Buddhism for their insistence that respect be showed to their
idols. If you go into a Buddhist temple, they will not permit the blatant
disrespect to their idols that is commonly accepted and normal conduct in
Christian churches. The prayers of Christians sometimes makes me wonder who in
the world they think they are talking to. Thank God, Jesus is a friend of
sinners, but He is not that fuzzy teddy bear that so many Christians toy with.
No one knew Jesus better, or was more intimate with Him, than John. But when
John saw Jesus in heaven, he fell down as dead (Rev.1:17). This buddy buddy
attitude towards Jesus does not bring a person into the awesome presence of the
Lord. It is when the King is seated that the fragrance goes forth.
The table of course, speaks of
fellowship. We call the Lord's table communion. In any social situation, to be
invited for a meal and sit at a table; the whole purpose is for fellowship.
And in the Bible, sittingis the
posture of rest or completed action.In Heb. 10:11 , 12, we read of
priests standing offering sacrifices that can never take away sin. The reason
they are standing is because they are engaged in an impossible task. But “this
one man (Jesus) when he had offered one sacrifice for sin sat down”.His
job was done. The scene of Jesus sitting at His table does not mean sinless
perfection, but there is such a thing as being right with God. Jesus is
comfortable in our hearts. If He is seated, then the fragrance of Christ goes
forth. The OT law of spiritual fragrance is simply the King being seated at
His table; it is then that the spikenard sends forth the fragrance.
This is the message that I wanted to
give this morning but I never got to say a word of it. I don't know, maybe if I
get invited back again sometime, I might get into a little of it, but I can't
imagine dealing with this subject in less than an hour.
But may God be gracious and allow the
fragrance of Christ to emanate from our lives to the people around us this
week.
bill
No comments:
Post a Comment