Sunday, March 31, 2013

Several Small Things

31 March 2013


Dear Phyllis,


He is risen! That was the traditional greeting for 1st century Christians on Easter morning. I suppose it is still applicable. Several years ago I was talking with a Kichijoji speaker who had come from Tokyo to Kobe for the Easter morning service. I assuming said, “What are you going to say about the resurrection tomorrow?” Surprisingly he replied, “I don't plan to speak about the resurrection.” “Why?” “Because every Sunday is Resurrection Sunday.” That was a pretty good response, but there is some argument both ways.


Robertson McQuilkins were one of the top TEAM families in Japan for 15 years from 1953 to 1968. I had the privilege of having the McQuilkins live with me one summer that enabled me to see their family from the inside. There certainly were more dynamic missionaries in Japan. There was no shortage of empire builders who were busily engaged in promoting their own ministry. There were some missionaries who lived a very affluent life-style. But there were very few who lived more wide-out, everything-for-Jesus, than the McQuilkins. They were the only missionary family I knew that didn't own a car. They lived in houses with six kids that very few missionaries would have lived in as a one child couple. Muriel McQuilkin had a plain nylon dress that she wore every day. On Saturday night she would wash and iron that dress, and make it look as pretty as possible to wear it to church on Sunday. Every day should be Resurrection Day. Every Sunday should be Resurrection Sunday. But there is nothing wrong with taking one Sunday a year, and dress it up to make it look especially attractive. Having said that, that is my Resurrection Sunday message this year.


I really don't have one central theme to write about this week, but there are several small items to mention.


Visas are a real hassle here in Thailand. It is virtually a miracle that I can stay here, but visas are horribly expensive. Being married to a Thai, you would think that I could get a spouse visa easily, but even spouse visas are difficult. In order to get a spouse visa I would have to submit, with my application, a statement that I have over a $2, 000 monthly income. I don't have a fraction of that. The Lord has been good to me in providing a way to get a volunteer visa by a letter from a foundation of my dear friends Dave and Joyce Moore. To get a one year visa, I have to travel to Penan, Malaysia each year, which costs a great deal of money. But the real hassle is that all farangs (foreigners) have to check in with immigration every 90 days. If you are late for check-in, it cost 500 baht ($17.50) a day fine. Last year I thought I was perfectly safe when I went to immigration for check-in and was shocked that I got tagged for 6 months over-stay. I had gone to immigration the previous check-in and had a receipt in my passport showing that I was within limits But they told me, with my visa, I had to leave the country. Fortunately, the law reads that the maximum fine for over-stay is 20,000 baht ($750). I died. Where in the world could I get $750 to pay that fine? Miraculously the Lord did provided, and I got by by going up to Mae Sai on the Burma border, paying my fine, and reentering Thailand. But I sure didn't want to do that again. My last check-in was in December, and I hadn't thought about it for several weeks. Tuesday night I was having a hard time falling asleep when suddenly the thought of check-in struck my brain. Terror surged through me. I leaped out of bed to check my passport. The stamp on my passport read 16 March; and it was now 26 March. I didn't have to pray about what to do the next day. That was a given. But even that meant I was 11 days over-stay – 5,500 baht (close to $200). We scarcely had money enough for two days food, and didn't have anything close to $200. I broke out in cold sweat so badly my pajamas were wet. But I knew that was the Lord's problem – not mine.


Quite miraculously, the next morning the Lord provided 6,000 baht. Pammy pleaded with me to take the bus up to Mae Sai, but my bike is cheaper and faster. It is exactly 250 km up there. At 10:00 AM I left Chiang Mai to head for the border. Many people marvel that I ride my Honda that far in one day, but I actually enjoy it. Northern Thailand is a beautiful country. It is fairly mountainous. The first 80 km are going over a bit of a mountain pass with a tremendous number of hills and curves. That road is no fun at night, or in the rain, but Wednesday was a nice day, and it was exhilarating going around those curves at high speed leaning over on the bike, hoping the tires wouldn't slide out. For the rest of the way, the road is more or less flat with one more section of hills and curves. But all of those can be taken at high speed reasonably safely.


I arrived at the border by 2:00 PM. The immigration man was pleasant joking with me as I paid my 5,500 baht fine. I ran across the bridge to Burma to the Burmese passport control office, paid another 500 baht to get that stamp in my passport, and was back in Thailand, legally, for another 90 days by 2:25. Praise God!!!


I had not stopped for anything going up other than gas. On the way back I did allow myself more luxury by getting a sack of potato chips and a cold drink at 7-11; and then one more luxury stop for a popsicle at the last gas station before hitting the mountains between Mae Kachan and Chiang Mai. Pammy was very concerned about my trip and had given me her cell phone, pleading that I call her. I did try at Mae Kachan to tell her the good news that I had had a very good trip, and would be home in an hour. But cell phones are a little past my pay scale. I can't use those dumb things, and somehow I never was able to get her on the line. Both of us were tremendously relived when I walked in the house at 7:00 that night. It was really quite a miraculous day. The night before I was agonizing in a cold sweat how I would get out of that jam. The Lord miraculously provided the fine money. It was exactly 6,000 baht including the 500 baht in Burma. The weather was excellent, the bike ran good, and I had made extremely good time riding 500 km in 8 hours. I really wasn't tired when I got home. What a miracle day!


But there is an interesting hidden factor behind my over-stay incident. When we first met Pammy asked me if I could make her a new bed. “We will need a double bed when we get married.” It was a year later before I finally got the bed made. People spend one third of their lives in bed, and I believe a bed is one of the most important pieces of furniture in the house. Accordingly, when I made our bed I made it one of the most important projects of my life. It really is beautiful. We had bought a mattress when we were first married that we had slept on for one year. But after I got the bed finished, and put the mattress on the bed, for some unexplained reason Pammy started sleeping in another room. It really hurt me every night when she would get out of bed, go in the other room, and sleep in a pile of pillows that looked like a rats nest. Finally, I hit the breaking point. I thought, “If she doesn't likes this bed, we don't need it. I can sleep anyplace”. It hurt too much sleeping by myself in that double bed. A week ago she got up at 2:00 AM to go in the other room. I couldn't sleep. At 3:00 AM I got up, took the bed apart, and stacked it against the wall. Pammy felt I did it as a statement of revenge to hurt her. She pleaded with me to put the bed back together again, but I was adamant. I was either going to sell or burn that dumb thing. For a week the bed was a problem. I was stung by her rejection of me and the bed. There was no way I was going to back off and put that thing together again. But then at midnight Tuesday night the Lord got my attention.


The beat definition of justification is just-as-if-I-never-sinned. When the Lord justifies us He destroys the records, and it is just as if I never had done anything wrong. That is not the way it works with me. If someone crosses my line, and does something against me, I am going to engrave that in stone, and never let anyone forget what they have done. I certainly was not going to put that bed incident behind me. But the biblical principle is “He shall have judgment without mercy, that hath shewed no mercy” (Jm. 2:13). Man howdy, I was stuck! I was in as bad a spot as I could get. I was 11 days over-stay, and didn't have money to pay the fine. And every day I let it go was another 500 baht. If God didn't help me, death would have been a joyous escape. If I wanted God's help, I better back off and show a little mercy. At midnight I humbly told Pammy, “I'm sorry. I am wrong. I'll put the bed back together.” I suggested that we just put the mattress on it, but she wanted the headboard installed also. At 12:30 I went out in my shop to get some tools, and at 1:00 AM we finally slept in our reassembled bed. Perhaps the Lord might prefer that I put my stone chisel away, and not engrave the offenses of others so deeply in rock. If I want justification to work one way for me, maybe I should use the same principle in showing mercy towards others.


The week before, we had had another problem. Pammy had asked me to make a small cabinet for the bathroom. When I went to hang it, I laid my drill on the kitchen island and went back to my shop to get some other things. When I came back, I found my drill lying on the floor. Pammy didn't like my laying things on the kitchen counter. I was so angry that I vowed never to bring a tool in the house again. The cabinet didn't get hung. A few days later Pammy pleaded with me to hang the cabinet, and I refused. Dave Moore was there and said a word in the Spirit – “That attitude doesn't help”. I had to admit that it didn't help, and maybe it would be wiser to do some things that did help, rather than supporting the devil's work of division. Dave helped me get the cabinet hung.


Another small, but strange thing, happened last week. Twelve years ago, when I stuck my hand in the saw, cutting off a bunch of fingers, an odd growth developed where the surgeon had reattached my index finger and my middle finger. I have no idea why or what it was other than it looked like a stone about the size of a large BB. Over the years I have tried to dig it off, but it was part of the skin like a wart. From time to time I have thought about someday having it surgically removed, but it wasn't hurting anything and I just let it go.


Two years ago a friend got us started raising honey bees. At first I was very cautious about working with the bee hives and handling the bees. Over time I learned that if you are careful the bees are no problem. For two years I had never been stung. But Thursday, as I was inspecting the bee frames in the hives, I got my first sting. A bee got me on the middle finger of my left hand. Of course it stung for a few minutes, but bee stings are part of life, and it wasn't too serious. My finger and hand did swell a little, but that was little more than a irritation. The next morning I was rubbing my hand when suddenly the small rock wart fell off. I have no idea what happened, or why it suddenly fell off – but it is gone.


Medically speaking, I can't imagine how there could be any connection with a bee sting and a wart falling off, but somehow they did seem to be related. Maybe it is wrong to try to derive a spiritual lesson from the small incidents of life but I couldn't help thinking that perhaps the Lord had something to say to me through this incident. If there is a meaning, perhaps it is that sometimes the Lord sends painful events in life to clear up totally dis-related problems. I wasn't happy to get stung by the bee, but I was grateful to have the wart gone.


In both cases with the problem of the bed and the cabinet I felt perfectly correct. I was right and Pammy was wrong. I might have been right, but my attitude didn't help. And the Lord had to put me in an agonizing dilemma with my over-stay to resolve the problem of the bed. Praise God, I lost both argument, and peace has come to our home again.


Praise God, He is risen – even in my heart;
bill

No comments:

Post a Comment