21 January 2018
Dear Phyllis,
The
Lord has only given me one fish at the moment. I am pouring my life
into one man – Sangha. He is my chief joy. I spend nearly two hours with
him every morning talking about the wonderful works of God. He has a
hunger for spiritual things and the Word of God like I haven't seen in a
long time. But last week I was clobbering him with everything short of
the fence post. I told him there were three areas of life for him. One
is his personal walk with the Lord. Secondly is his relationship with
the Body of Christ. And the third is his ministry – his reaching out to
unsaved. In the first area he is excellent. He loves the Word. He loves
the Lord. He is very sensitive to the Holy Spirit. But he has zero
church life. He is working on a doctoral degree for his kindergarten.
This ties him up every Saturday and Sunday. It is impossible for him to
go to church on Sunday. I told him he has not given his Sundays to
Jesus.
He
countered, “Bill, you don't understand, I have two lives. I have a life
that I must live right now. I have a wife and a kindergarten. I have 25
teachers and 300 students to take care of. I have to make money and eat.
Later I will go to heaven and be with Jesus, but right now I have
earthly things to take care of.” I fired back, “You are dead wrong. You
have only one life. Period! You have only one responsibility – to do the will of God.
If God has given you a wife and a kindergarten to take care of, that is
the will of God for you. But your single responsibility is to do the
will of God. If God wants you to have a PHD then do it and get that
degree. But if He doesn't, then quit it”. He has been working for three
years to get that doctorate. He said there were 35 in his class when he
started. Now they are down to 20. They all have to pass a dissertation –
to present their research to a board of 10. Last year there were 20 who
tried and only 4 passed. His turn is up in April. If he passes it he
will have his PHD, but if he fails he has to go on for one more year.
That could go on for one, two, or three more years. I told him I would
trust the Lord for that. Jesus could easily give him that doctorate, but
if that is not the will of God for him then I would quit it. I told him
my experience with the Air Force.
When
I joined the Air Force I desperately waned to be a fighter pilot. There
were 65 of us in my class when I first joined. Eight of us finished
together. That is not totally true as in the original class there were
some who were going to be navigators. They could not pass the original
pilot exam. There were some who went into multi-engine and went to
different basses. And there were many who just flunked out. And some
were killed. During the year and a half of pilot training it looked like
no one would graduate.
The
Lord blessed me and gave me to gift to do well. I can say that it was
the Lord, because as I passed through various stages of training there
were some things I just flat could not do. Then suddenly, the Lord would
give me the gift and I would become outstanding. I had a few remarkable
flights and had the reputation of being one of the top pilots in
training. I had the highest flying scores in my class. After 17 months
of elimination training I was down to one last test. I had to pass the
60-4 instrument flying test. I had done extremely well on the mid-term
test and it was only a question of how high my grade would be on the
final. There were some who had made it that far but couldn't pass the
60-4 and washed out. If I passed that, my goal was in hand. I would get
my wings and commission as an Air Force officer. If I failed it, I was
out of the program. The squadron commander was my test pilot to take the
test. I did well on most of the requirement, but had to successfully
make an ILS (Instrument Landing System) – to land the bird totally on
instruments. As I lined up for the ILS suddenly, I had a total mental
blank. That was the first time I ever had that experience. I didn't know
a thing. I couldn't read a compass. After wandering around aimlessly
the instructor said, “I'm sorry, Cook, but if you had been by yourself
you would have been killed.” I was the first man in the class to fail a
60-4. That was the first time I ever had a failing flight. The rule was
you were allowed one failure, but if you failed the second time, it was
all over. They gave me a practice flight and I did well on that. Then a
couple days later I tried again. This time I flew with an instructor I
had never met. Things went reasonably, but for the ILS we went up to
Little Rock, Arkansas. That was a strange field where I had never been.
As we got to high key and stated the let down, suddenly another plane
blew a tire on the runway closing the field. Planes were sent all over
Arkansas. I was assigned to some odd ball radio fix I had never heard
of. I found the frequency on my chart and headed for the fix, but when I
got there I didn't know what to do. After flying around like a sun
flower the instructor said, “I've got it. You're busted”. I failed my second 60-4.
It's all over. I'm out of the program. The 20 minute flight back to our
base was the longest flight of my life. I knew it was the last time I
would be in an airplane. But I believed in miracles. As soon as we
landed I was going to call every Christian in Greenville and ask them to
pray for me. But I didn't know what to pray for. It looked like God had
closed the door of flying for me. If it was not the will of God for me to be a pilot was I willing to wash dishes in the cadet mess hall?
What a battle! There was a war in my heart. Finally, as we landed, I
said, “I will call every Christian in Greenville, but rather than asking
them to pray for a miracle that I get my wings I will ask them to pray
that I can accept the will of God for my life – even if it means washing
dishes.”
We
hadn't been on the ground 30 minutes when I was called in the
commander's office. He handed me a slip of paper and said, “Cook, sign
this”. I thought, “Oh my goodness, they are putting me out of service
already”. I looked at the form and saw it said, “60-4 satisfactory test”.
I looked at the commander and asked, “Sir, what is this?”. He said,
“ILS is not required on a 60-4 test”. He had found a loop-hole in the
regulation and graded me on everything I did well and deleted the ILS
that I failed. He said, “You passed your first test. Forget about today.
That was just flying time”. I didn't earn my wings – God gave them to me.
This
is a huge issue for Sanha. He has spent three years trying to get a
PHD. To quit it at this point would be an enormous decision. But is this
the will of God for his life? Oddly enough this concept of only one
responsibility in life – to do the will of God – is new to Sanha. But in
this he is not alone. I told him that I believe 95% of Christians
believe that they have two lives – one that they live now and the future
one in heaven. What they are saying is, “Lord Jesus, thank you for
dying for me and giving me eternal life. But Lord Jesus, please wait for
another 30 or 40 years. I will see You in heaven, but right now I have
my own life to live and other responsibilities.” The number one concern
in everybody's mind is what am I going to eat, drink, or wear? That is
the most important issue in this life. But Jesus told us, “Don't worry
about it. Seek first the Kingdom of God and the Lord will take care of our daily necessities (Lk. 12:29-31)”. Doing the will of God is everything.
But that is the rub. We have our own life that we want to live. If the
will of God is in a different direction, then there is a problem.
This
was an enormous crisis for me. If the Lord did not want me in a
cockpit, but it was His will that I be a dish washer, was I willing to
do that? I didn't like it, but when I gave that to Jesus He gave me the
best life possible. There have been many tests along the way since then.
A lot of things have happened that I wish had gone the other way, but
as for God, His way is perfect (Ps. 18:30). My life is behind me now.
Nothing is a major crisis. Doing the will of God is the only thing I am
interested in. But for Sanha, at this mid point of life, his future is
hanging in the balance; and if the will of God for him is in a different
direction than what he has his heart set on, that is a huge issue. I
have no idea how he will do on his dissertation, but I would be
surprised if he passes it. I suspect that would take a miracle. But God
could do it.
It
will be great to see Jesus in heaven, but it is almost better that we
can walk with Him right now. Lord, help us to be Your followers.
bill
No comments:
Post a Comment