20 May 2018
Dear Phyllis,
Last
week I wrote you about Betty Whewell and the Mino Mission. I enjoyed
that so much I decided to write another testimony letter today. The
other morning the Lord woke me up thinking about a girl that hadn't
crossed my mind in probably several years.
In
the fall of 1970 a pretty young girl got on the train in Nagano. She
knew that there were many gaijins (foreigners) living in Karuizawa. Her
ambition was to become a JAL airline stewardess, but to do that she had
to pass an English test. Her best chance to learn English was to live
with a gaijin family. She got off the train in Karuizawa and started
walking up the street to the famous part of town, “kyudo”. As she walked
past Tanaka's motor bike shop she stopped and asked if they knew any
gaijins. They told her her best chance was to go to the Japanese
language school and talk to Bill Cook. Twenty minutes later, Mitsuko walked in
my office.
She
explained to me that she would work for free as a maid if she could
stay with me. I would have taken her but Rosemary and I had just been
married and had a little Nepalese boy, Ritu, living with us. But
Dick and Millie Dennis lived in town. Dick Dennis was one of the finest missionaries I ever met.
Dick was a very ordinary man with no special gifts. His preaching, at
best might, have gotten a C+, but he only had one sting on his banjo.
The only thing he was interested in was the Gospel and getting people
saved. They never had a lock on their door and would take anybody that
came along. So Mitsuko wound up living with them for almost two years.
And that was the beginning of a legend.
She
was as much apart of their family as there own children and Dick was
like a father to her. Although she never lived with us, in view of the
fact that it was through me that I introduced her to the Dennises, and
we were very close, I was like a Dutch uncle to her. She later told me
how much she feared me. She hadn't been in karuizawa long before she
came to visit the language school one day. Mitsuko had on a shocking
mini skirt. I told her, “Get that skirt off and put on some clothes. I
don't want to see you walking around here half naked.” One day she was
wearing a sweater with a Playboy bunny insignia on it. I asked her, “Do
you know what that insignia on your sweater means?” Of course she
didn't. When I told her about the meaning of Playboy she immediately got
rid of that sweater and wore something more modest. She was always very
intimidated by me, but I liked her very much, and we were good friends.
Dick
was as consistent about Bible study as any man in town. If you lived in
the Dennis house it was determined that you had to be at every Bible
study every day. Dick seldom sat at a table that he didn't have the
Bible open and everyone in that house got as solid a grounding as
students in a Bible school. Dick was constantly going out for dendo
(evangelism), and it was a rule that everyone had to go with him. If you
lived in the Dennis house you didn't have much choice but you had to
get saved. Mitsuko hadn't been living with Dick and Millie long before
he came to tell me that Mitsuko had been saved. That lasted about a
week. Over the passage of time we lost track of the number of times she
got saved, but it seemed like it would only last until she had her next
monthly period.
After
living with the Dennises for a couple of years Mitsuko felt ready to
take her test to be a JAL airline stewardess. Surprisingly she failed
the test, but somehow another job opened up for her to be the
receptionist for the JAL CEO. All she had to do was look pretty, greet
the people who came to see the CEO, and pour tea for them. It really was
a pretty easy job, but a good one and stable. The biggest problem was
that his office was at the Narita airport; that was 70 km from Tokyo and
over 200 km from Karuizawa. That was more or less the end of Mitsuko
and we seldom saw her after she moved to Narita.
About
that time Rosemary and I went to the states for furlough and were there
for two years. Shortly after we got back to Karuizawa we had a call
from Mitsuko. The Dennis family were in the states at the time but she
wanted to come visit us on Saturday. When I went to the eki (train
station) to pick her up I was shocked. It had been two or three years
since the last time we met and I almost didn't recognize her. Previously
she had been one sharp chick. She had been a contestant in the Miss
Nagano beauty pageant and she had all the equipment to be a high
runner-up. But now she was totally transformed. She was a very plain
girl. Unexplainably the outward attractiveness was gone. She looked just
like anyone else you might see on a train. There was nothing in her
that would turn your head. And yet there was an inward quality that you
seldom see. Inwardly she was gorgeous. She was a rare spiritual beauty. I
was stunned. I asked her, “What in the world happened to you? You look
radically different.”
Mitsuko
told me when she was in Karuizawa she had no option but she had to
behave herself and be a Christian. She was constantly propped up and
couldn't be anything else. There was no way she could fall when she was
living with Dick and Millie. But when she moved to Narita her world was
totally different. She was on her own. There was no one around her
looking at her and she was responsible to no one. For the first time in
her life she was completely free to do anything she wanted. There she
faced a crisis. What was she going to do with Jesus? Was she going to
follow Him or go the way of sin? It was then that she made her choice to
be a genuine follower of Christ. She told me, “When I started walking with the Lord by myself at Narita it was then that Jesus became a reality in my life.”
Oh
my goodness, I never saw such a radical change. For a long time after
that, if I was ever talking about spiritual beauty I would always use
her as an illustration for anyone her knew her. Mitsuko worked for JAL
for a couple of years and then felt the Lord would have her quit and go
to Bible school. It was there she met an outstanding young man who was
going to be a pastor. Like many other young ladies from Bible schools
she became a pastors wife, and they were a terrific couple. He did
extremely well and they wound up having a very good church in Kobe.
It
had been twenty years since the last time I had seen Mitsuko. They were
living in Kobe when the historic Kobe earthquake struck in 1993. Bill
Reese called me and told me that Mitsuko had called him asking if he
could come down and help them with some damage to their property. I made
arrangement to meet Bill at Miskito's house. What a time warp! Here we
were in a pastors home with a faithful pastors wife who had a daughter
just about the same age as that girl who first showed up at my office in
Karuizawa. Oh what Jesus had done! This is exactly the way the Gospel
is supposed to work. The Lord lays His Hand on lost wandering people and
transforms them into beautiful spiritual objects to use for His
Kingdom.
One
of the most wonderful post scrips that came after that happened a few
years later when I was working for NLL. We had a fine young girl from
Kobe working at NLL. I asked Yuri chan how she got saved. She told me
that her mother was a Christian and Mitsuko had led her mother to
Christ. You talk about a good investment; there is one that bore fruit
for three generation. That wandering young girl walking up the street in
Karuizawa looking for a gaijin family had become a great
witness for Christ. She had led another woman to Jesus and I had the
privilege of working with her daughter 30 years later. Wish God would provide more Dick and Millie Dennis and a world full of Mitsukos. Isn't
Jesus great?
bill
No comments:
Post a Comment