16 June 2019
Dear Phyllis,
Early yesterday morning the Lord
reminded me of Harold Carman. I know I have written to you before about Harold,
but he is such an amazing phenomenon that this subject deserves one more
letter.
Over the years I have known hundreds of
missionaries. I would place Harold in the top 3% of the best missionaries I
have personally known. In the 13 years that I was with the Karuizawa language
school Harold stands out as being probably the best man we ever had.
In September 1977 I had a call from a
Japanese pastor in southern Japan asking if I would take a Baptist missionary.
I said, “Of course”. The day the train arrived with the pastor and his new
missionary I was in for the shock of my life. When I saw Harold get off that
train and walk along the platform I though, “What in the wold is this?”. I had
never seen anything like it. He didn't look like a man but someone in an
inflated suit on the sidewalk as an advertisement for some product. He was
huge. He weighed 320 lbs. His face was as round as a pizza plate and he had a
silly hat perched on top of that round face But later I discovered that I was
in for another shock. His heart for Jesus was as big as his enormous rear end.
What a man!
He had been with us a very short time
when John Schone said to him, “Brother, you would have a better testimony for
Jesus if you lost some of that blubber.” That produced the greatest weight loss
program I have ever seen. In an amazingly short time he lost 100 lbs.. One day
he showed me his old pants and said, “I can now get my whole body in one leg of
the pants I wore six months ago”. I never saw such discipline.
But that went clear across the board.
In school I required all students to spend a minimum of six hours a day in
language study – two in school and four at home. Harold had been with us a
short time when he asked if he could up his time in school. No one studied
three hours in school, but that was what he requested. And not long after that
he still wasn't satisfied and requested four hours. But that was only half the
story. The time he spent in private study at home was like a mad man. We lived
about 300 meters apart. At that time I was building a camper for my truck. One
night I was banging away at 11:00 o'clock at night. After an exhausting day of
study Harold was in bed; he heard me banging on my camper and said, “If Bill
can be up this late working I should be studying”. He got out of bed and spent
one more hour in the books.
Harold was a phenomenon with all the
students. He was the most popular man in town, Everybody loved him and he was a
first-class preacher. I considered it a great privilege to have such an
outstanding man as a personal friend. One day Harold said to me, “Bill, I am
slam different than you all.” “How are you different?” “Doctrinaly I am slam
different.” “Harold, you have some of the best doctrine I have ever heard. How
are you different?” “I won't tell you.” “Harold, have you ever heard of Baptist
Bride?” He was stunned and said, “That's it.”
Harold had been born and raised in the
mountains of Tennessee and had never been out of the state. He was raised in a
small Baptist sect that felt they were the only Bride of Christ and all other
Christians were friends of the Bride. They were the only ones with the Holy
Spirit. He had never met a Christ-filled Christian outside of his denomination.
In Karuizawa there were many Christians who deeply loved Jesus and some of them
weren't even Baptists. It shattered everything he had always been taught.
Harold hadn't been in Karuizawa long
before he got a job teaching English in the local junior high school. The
English teacher there was, Nagai sensei. (A fairly common Japanese name.)
Harold had a deep burden for Nagai''s salvation. He was constantly on Harold's
lips and it was a regular request at every prayer meeting. “Please pray for
Nagai sensei.” It was the joy of Harold's life that spring, when Nagai sensei
responded to an invitation for salvation in the Megumi Church. But it was a
grief that he couldn't share this victory with the brethren at home, because
Megumi was not a Baptist church.
He had only been with us a little over
nine months when he called me early one morning asking me to take him to the
hospital in Tokyo' He had woke up in the middle of the night knowing he was
dying and woke his sons up to say goodbye to dad. He was utterly amazed when
the sun came up and he was still on this planet; and asked me to take him to
the hospital. I loaded my camper on my truck and took him to Tokyo. Absolutely
nothing wrong. Go on home. Five days later he called asking me to take him to
the eki (train station). He was going home. His dad met him with an ambulance
at the airport in Nashville and took him straight to the University hospital.
Two weeks of exhaustive tests proved absolutely nothing wrong with him.
When I took him to the eki in Karuizawa
the last thing I said to him was,. “Harold, when you get home please don't get
in a spiritual hassle with the brethren at home until you are on your feet.
And, secondly, if you ever get down to Greenville, SC, there is a man there,
Joe Carroll, who is the best man of God in America.” Harold wasn't out of the
hospital before he was excommunicated as a heretic by the Baptist brethren. He
felt like Martin Luther. He was put out of his home church and lonely for
fellowship. He got to fellowshipping with Pastor James Bell in Gallatant One
day he was talking to Brother Bell who told him, “Next week we are having an
Australian evangelist, Joe Carroll, here for some meetings.” Harold pleaded,
“Please introduce me to Brother Carroll?” That lunch was a pivotal moment in
his life. Harold explained his mysterious sickness, and Brother Carroll put his
finger exactly on the source of the problem, and the cure. It was the devil.
Joe told him, “Take a hard stand for healing. It will be the worst day of your
life, but in 24 hours you will be healed”. Harold did what Joe told him, and,
yappari, (just as I thought) it was he worst day of his life. He spent the day
dying an agonizing death, and in 24 hours it was completely gone.
After that Harold went to Greenville
where he was big news at the Evangelical Institute. From there he returned back
home to Tennessee where he has been the pastor of a very good church ever
since.
In the year 2000, Roald Lidal had a
large group of Japanese pastors tour the NLM printing plant in Hatoyama. I was
there at the time and asked if I could give a testimony of my experience
delivering Bibles to persecuted Christians in the mountains of Vietnam.
Afterwards there was a brief luncheon for the pastors and I was invited to eat
with them. But I was in a very melancholy mood and refused. We had a physical
struggle in the kitchen, and one Japanese brother came over to join the fray
dragging me in. to sit beside him. As we talked he told me that his name was
Nagai. I was surprised to learn that he was originally from Karuizawa. I asked,
“How did you get saved?” He said, “Did you ever know a missionary by the name
of Harold Carman?” Nagai sensei was a Wycliffe missionary.
Oh Harold, I love you! I love you! I
love you! You have always been an example for me. I'll never be able to shine
your shoes, but thank you for showing me what it is to follow Christ.
Dear Phyllis, I don't know if Harold
will ever see this letter but I just wanted to share with you what a real man
of God looks like; and I will always be grateful for the privilege of his
fellowship.
In our marvelous Lord Jesus,
bill
PS: I have only shared with you a portion of what I wanted
to say, but maybe I can continue this story next week.
No comments:
Post a Comment