Deleted. Ctrl + Z to Undo.
2 June 2019
Dear Phyllis,
In post-war Japan Japanese dentist had
the reputation of being the worst in the world. Horror stories of Japanese
dentist were blood chilling. There was only one gaijin (foreign) dentist that I
knew of in Japan, Dr. Besford in Tokyo, that everybody went to. But there was
also a lady dentist who had a summer office in Karuizawa and was popular with
missionaries. The year we were married Rosemary went to her for some very
expensive dental work. When I asked Dr. Yamamoto the price she told me $10. (It
was literally more like a $1,000.) I was stunned and asked, “Is there anything
I can do for you?” That was one of the pivotal remarks of my life.
Takako (Dr. Yamamoto) had just inherited some very expensive property from an
aunt and planned to build a house on it. I offered to build the house for her
for free, which turned out to be one of the best jobs I ever did in my life.
Through that house Takako and I
developed a most unusual relationship. There was nothing remotely romantic in
our relationship but she was easily one of the best friends I have ever had..
Takako trusted me explicitly. She gave me a substantial amount of money and
went to the states for the summer. For three months I built the house in her
absence, that was a resounding success. I built a basement under it and put in
US central heating. Insulation was unknown in Japan and I built that house like
a thermos bottle. The weather in Karuizawa is the same as Hokkaido and frozen
pipes were a way of life. I didn't know one house in town that didn't have
frozen pipe every night. Takako's house was the only house I knew of with a
basement and she never had one frozen pipe. When everyone else in town looked
like Eskimos she was living her house in a short sleeve dress.
But more than the house it was my
relationship with Takako that was so epic. She had just been saved the year
before we met and I became her closest confident. I was the director of the
missionary Japanese language school and every morning I would go to the
language school to get thing stated and then go to Takako's house for
breakfast. Then we would sit at the table for two hours that was just like
being in a Bible school. She was a rare high quality lady and became perhaps the
number one lady Christian in Japan. She was well known for being the most
popular Christian lady conference speaker in the country. I could write a book
about the amazing testimonies that characterized her life, but the other
morning the Lord reminded me of one incident that I want to share today.
Among her many contacts one unusual
lady was Miyako. Miyako had been a first-class bum. She came from a middle
class family and had been married to a very fine upper middle class man. She
had an excellent marriage, but she was an ally cat running around with many
different men. She had a fine four year old son but he was a jama (in the way)
to her loose life, so she put him up for adoption to a family in America.. I
mean you can't get much worse than that. She was as bad as low-life gets. But
then one day Takako led her to Christ. Miyako was just like the woman who
washed Jesus' feet with her tears. Jesus said, “She who is forgiven much loveth
much. (Lk. 7:47). Miyako was the greatest example of that that I have ever
seen. Of the hundreds of people that I have known over the years I have never
met anyone who has come close to her in devotion, , gratefulness, and love for
Jesus. Miyako had been married several times but was single when she got saved.
Takako took her in and introduced her to me to be the secretary of the language
school. She was a cracker-jack, They just don't come any better than that girl.
She was meticulous to an extreme and would sit up all night trying to find the
error if the books were 10 cents off. There are no superlatives that I can use
to describe that sister. There is only one word that comes close, and that
would be SERVANT. She was the prototype of all servants. There wasn't
one molecule in her of self-serving, and her entire life was a single passion
to serve others. Fortunately, in my case, that was serving me.
Miyako's best friend in the language
school was Yumi chan. Yumi was a fine, dedicated, Christian, but, like all
girls, she was interested in getting married. One day Yumi noticed an ad in the
Christian shimbun (newspaper) of a Christian man who was looking for a
Christian wife. There was a telephone number, and, out of curiosity, she called
that number. The man seemed fairly decent but was too old for her. But Miyako
was in her 40s and might be interested. At Yumi chan's suggestion Miyako took a
shot and sent the man a letter. He later said of the 30 sum responses that he
had from his ad in the newspaper Miyako's letter impressed him the most.
Letters started being exchanged between them. Then one day he asked her to come
to his church for a direct meeting and to meet his pastor. That turned out
quite successful, and the next step would be for him to come to Karuizawa to
meet me. I knew nothing about this until Miyako told me that she had a marriage
hanashi (talk, prospect) going and wanted me to check him out. When he came to
Karuizawa I was reasonably impressed. He was a pretty rough bird and had a bad
back ground, but he seemed to be properly saved and seriously following the Lord.
I gave him a thumbs up approval. The night of the final meeting was a classic.
Kozumi was straight forward and told Miyako, “Before you tell me whether or not
you will marry me I want to be honest and tell you I have a serious illness and
do not have long to live.” Miyako's response beat anything I have ever heard.
She said, “What I was actually looking for was a blind man, or someone
disabled that I could serve. If you are going to die, that is fine, I will be
your wife and take care of you.” When Miyako told me that I was blown away.
They asked me to marry them and the date was May 1st just before we
were scheduled to return to the states for furlough. I won't marry anyone
without having three sessions of indepth consoling about the marriage vows.
The wedding was set for Sunday. He was
supposed to come up on Saturday so we could have a long talk about the marriage
commitment and a rehearsal. Saturday was Golden Week national rush traffic jam
and a 4 hour trip turned out to be 14 hours, and he didn't get to Karuizawa
until midnight. He hadn't eaten all day, so while he was having supper at our
house I was talking to him about the wedding vows. In passing I asked him, “Will
you promise that you will never hit Miyako?”. Stunningly he said, “No”.
I asked Miyako, “What will you do if you get clubbed?” “I don't know. I have
never been hit.” It was midnight and we were at an impasse. He wouldn't promise
not to slug her and it was my call whether or not to have the wedding. Miyako
was totally devoted to me and would do exactly what I said. Kozumi would
promise to do everything else the Bible says a husband should do but he would
not promise not to strike her. On the grounds that the Bible does not say,
“Thou shalt not deck your wife” I decided to overlook that one problem and go
ahead with the wedding. It was fantastic. And we went to the states a few weeks
later.
The war started out at the elevator in
the hotel when she got on before him. He was a rough one. She got clobbered
repeatedly. After three months Miyako had had her fill and came back to
Karuizawa. We weren't there so she came back to see Takako. After telling
Takako the lamentable account of terrible abuse, Takako faced her and said, “You
call yourself a Christian and can come here to bad-mouth your husband like
that!”. Miyako burst into tears, repented, and went back to be a faithful
wife for the next 15 months, when she lovingly put him in the grave.
Several years passed. Miraculously, her
first husband was wonderfully saved, they were remarried, and today they are
the happiest elderly Christian couple you will ever see joyously serving the
Lord.
Can you top a story like that? Oh Jesus
is fantastic!
bill
No comments:
Post a Comment