Monday, August 5, 2019

Gothold Beck- Part 2





In my previous letter I suggested that the #1 problem with the Gospel in Japan was Kirisuto kyo (Christianity). There probably is no one single factor, but I firmly believe Kirisuto kyo is perhaps the biggest retardant to the spread of the Gospel. In my first article I mentioned an incident when my dear friends, the Hirotos stopped by our house one afternoon and told me they didn't go to Kobe for Sunday morning worship that day; and said the reason was that a sister had collapsed in her home the night before, so they decided to take church to her that day. I saw in a flash that that would be utterly IMPOSSIBLE in any other church in Japan. Kirisuto kyo is built around the pastor and the rank and file believers are relegated to a subservient position of passivity. No believer in Japan would dare sneeze without checking with their pastor first to see if it was okay. Individual responsibility and activity was absolutely unthought of. The church in Japan was totally bokushi (pastor) centered. One of Gothold brilliant strategies was that Kihijoji had no pastors.



After Kichijoji exploded from being one rapidly expanding church (assembly) to a national phenomenon I was talking with Gothold one day and asked what he attributed his success to. He replied, “After I quit doing dendo - having one week of special dendo meetings each month - the Lord took over.”. He went on, “Before I had one special speaker come each month for meetings, now I have 400 evangelists. full time” Everybody in the church is an evangelist sharing Christ with their neighbors. I asked him, “How many shukais (churches) do you have in Tokyo?” He said, “I don't know. Every week I hear of a new one just starting up. But I do know that I have 70 brothers who are preaching.” Very few, if any, denominations in Japan have that many pastors. Every Kichijoji believer is an evangelist. They don't know anything but individual responsibility – and that is intensely frowned upon in all traditional Japanese churches. That is the bokushi's (pastors job) and no one would dare do it.



I believe Watchman Nee was perhaps the greatest Christian of the 20th century. I believe he had the greatest impact on China. Wathman Nee was basically Plymouth Brethren. Little Flock in China was technically not Plymouth Brethren but basically organized and operated along the same guide lines. And Gothold Beck's, Kichijoji, was basically the same.



They are intensely scriptural. And in this they are distinguished as different than 98% of all major denominations.. Firstly they believed we should obey what the Word of God tells us about women being silent in church (1 Cor. 14:34,35). Women absolutely do not mouth off in church and have no part in leading or preaching a service. But I know of no denomination in Japan that are seeing more women leading others to Christ than in Kichijoji. My good friend Takako Yamamoto was one of the top speakers for Ladies Luncheons nation wide. Someone asked her if it wasn't difficult after she left Karuizawa to go to Kichijoji where she couldn't speak. She replied, “When I was in Karuizawa I was leading one soul a month to Christ. Now it is every week.”. Shortly after moving to Kichijoji she got on the women for bad-mouthing their husbands and not praying for their salvation. She organized a ladies prayer meeting especially for unsaved husbands. The first month they had seven husbands saved. It is almost a given in Kichijoji if you ask a man how he got saved and suggested, “Was it through you wife?”. Invariably he would come back, “Of course.”. Probably 90% of the men are won to Christ through their wives.



Secondly, there is no organizational structure and absolutely NO PASTORS. But the Kichijoji shukais are the finest structured churches I have ever been in. They believe in the plurality of elders There are certain men who have different gifts. It is not by appointment but every man naturally functions within his God-given gift. There are no pastors but you don't have to be there long before you know who the pastor is. It is obvious. Some men have that gift and function accordingly, but they are not there by appointment. And, they certainly, do not act like a Japanese bokushi (pastor). Some men have a gift of preaching and they preach regularly. Many men are all over the country preaching every week. Some men have the gift of helps, some men have administration, some are better soul winners, etc. It is beautiful to see godly men function within their gift, and it is not by appointment. A bokushi in Japan is a man on a pedestal, but in Kichijoji he is just an ordinary humble brother doing his God given job. And in Kichijoji there are no senseis (pastor, teacher, leader). No one is called Sensei. Oh I love that! Jesus warned in Matt. 23:8, “Be not called Sensei” (Japanese Bible), but every cotton picken pastor in Japan is a Sensei. And in most cases it is sickening. Gothold has fractured Japanese etiquette by using first names. No one in Japan goes by their first name, but in Kichijoji everyone is on a first name basis or called “brother”.



All women have a head covering. The Mennonites do this. They are not legalistic about that but a woman would feel very much out of place without her head being covered.



They have communion every Sunday. The communion is central to the worship. They have two services. The first is a worship service with no leader. No one is up front. The men are allowed to do one of three things: they can call for a hymn out of the hymn book (traditional), they can read a verse from the Bible, or they can say a prayer. Every thing is spontaneous. That's it. Then they have communion. That lasts one hour. Then they have a 10-15 minute coffee break, flowed by a fairly traditional message by one of the preaching brothers. It sounds dull, but, oh my goodness, you should be in some of those meetings. Jesus is there. Tears are common. Sometime the Word sounds like thunder. The prayers are hungry Christians talking to their Father. I have been in very few services, any where, so intensely marked by the presences of the Holy Spirit as those in Kobe.

Kichijoji shukais (churches) are very strong on home meetings. An enormous number of families have home meetings that are very well attended. And,,man howdy, do they have CAMPS! There are Christian camps all over the country every month. If an average church of 30 in Japan has a camp, and 15 attend, that would be a high number. If a Kichijoji shukai (church) of 20 has a camp it would be common to have 50 or 60 show up. These are major times of salvation for hundreds of Kichijoji believers.



The church is in the Beck's home and he has expanded it three times. Today it is maxed out and is a scene like no other place in Japan. Max capacity might be 200, but every Sunday there are well over 400 jammed in that building occupying every available inch. The auditorium is packed beyond capacity with people standing in every corner. The stairway is crowded. Forget about going to the toilet. There are five people standing in there. And there is a small crowd of people standing outside holding umbrellas on rainy days who can't get in the building. Gothold has a Wednesday morning ladies Bible study that regularly sees over 200 women gather each week. There are hundreds of taped messages that are widely circulated all over the country.



Gomen nasai (I'm sorry). This is supposed to be a series on Gothold Beck, and all I have talked about is his followers, who are a national phenomenon known as Kichijoji. The reason I have written so extensively about this is because, what Gothold has produced is without a comparable movement in post-war Japan. While nearly all denominations are stagnant or shrinking, his work with Kichijoji is expanding exponentially. What I am trying to say is that Gothold Beck is a phenomenon without a peer in Japan.



That's it for today. I will continue with part 3 in my next letter.

Arigato gozaimasu (thank you), bill 








No comments:

Post a Comment