8 September
2019
Dear Phyllis,
There are three verses in Song of
Solomon that appear to be identical, and yet there is a subtle progression that
I feel is one of the most graphic indication of spiritual maturity in the Bible
(S. of S. 2:16; 6:3; 7:10). I have written to you about this several times but
I never get away from it. Last week the Lord reminded me of this so powerfully
that I was right on the limit of what I could physically handle.
The first verse says “My Beloved is
mine and I am His”. For someone just saved this is the most wonderful news
possible. We all love to sing, “Blessed assurance Jesus is mine”. Man howdy,
that is good news! I remember talking to a Catholic man one night in the states
about Jesus. He was the husband of Rosemary's room mate in the hospital in Syracuse.
I had just shared with him a few things that Jesus had done for me. He looked
at me with the most longing eyes and said, “If I had a God like that I
wouldn't have a worry in the world”. I had never realized what an unusual
treasure I had in having Jesus as my savior. You talk about blessed assurance.
It doesn't get much better than to know you have a personal relationship with
Jesus as your savior, provider, protector, everything. For years that thrilled
me.
And then I noticed that the Song goes
one note higher when it says, “I am His and He is mine”. That just
raised value of the transaction by 10 to the power of 10. It is wonderful to be
able to say “Jesus is Mine”, but it is infinitely more wonderful to be
able to say “I am His”. Here we have not only the ownership reversed but
the responsibility changed. If I am the owner then the responsibility of
holding on to my possession is on my side. But if the ownership is on the
Lord's side then He is the One to keep His grip on me. If I am responsible for
hanging on to Jesus, in my foolishness and frequent distractions I might loose
my grip on Him. But if He is the One hanging onto me, I suspect His grip is
more secure than mine.
How little do we realize that it is not
that we love God, but that He first loved us and sent His Son to seek and save
us (1 Jn. 4:10). Dear Nelly Pavlok, a wonderful sister from Russia, used to
say, “I didn't find the Lord, He found me. I was the one who was lost”. We
weren't the ones who sought Jesus, but Jesus was the One who was seeking us.
You can measure my love for the Lord by teaspoons, but to measure the Lord's
love for us would require the ocean. His seeking us was far more intense than
our seeking Him, and His delight in His possession is infinitely more intense
than ours. I used to preach 1 Cor. 6:19, 20 as an incentive to service: “Ye
are not your own. For ye were bought with a price; therefore glorify God in
your body and spirit which are God's”, but now I see that as an assurance
of His possession. It is a fact that Jesus has bought us. He paid a very dear
price for us – His own Blood. If Jesus paid that dear price for us it is highly
likely that He is going to keep a good grip on His possession. It was a happy
day when I could say with firm assurance Christ was mine, but it is infinitely
more joyous to say today “I am His”. If my salvation was dependent on my grip
on Christ, I am in bad shape. I would lose my grip on Him in ten minutes, but
if I realize my relationship with Jesus is resting on the fact that I am His -
and He is highly responsible over His own possession - this gives great peace,
joy, and assurance.
One illustration that Jesus gave us on
this subject is the parable of the 99 and 1 (Lk. 15:4-7). If the Lord thinks
that much about one lost lamb, that He will leave the 99 to go look for the
lost one, that gives great assurance to the other 99. The knowledge that I am
His brings me vastly more satisfaction and joy than knowing that I have Jesus.
When I first got saved I thought the
Lord must be pleased that He had such an outstanding man as a follower. But
then as the Lord began to open my eyes, I thought He had made a terrible
mistake. For a couple of years I thought I had chosen Jesus but then I learned,
that it was not that I had chosen Him but He chose me (Jn. 15;16). When I
realized that I was bewildered why Jesus should go to the end of the line of
unqualified candidates and lay His Hand on the most unlikely one of the lot.
But oh what joy! What an honor! When I was a kid and we would choose up sides
to play a game, we would always get the two best boys to be team captains and
they would choose their team. I was always greatly honored when the best man
would say, “I'll take Bill”. That He choose us; if that doesn't make the joy
bells ring I don't know what would. Ruth was just a poor foreign widow until
Boaz purchased her to be his wife (Ruth 4:10). Man howdy, did her fortune turn
around after that. What a privilege to be the wife of Boaz!
The cap stone of this series in Song of
Sol. is chapter 7 verse 10 – “I am my Beloved's and His desire is towards
me”. There is no mention of what I have here. The believer is lost in
the knowledge that she belongs to Jesus and His desire is towards her.
Intellectually I can acknowledge this, but spiritually I have never come to
that point. In his gospel of Christ, John is unique in that he never mentions
his own name once. But from chapter 13 on John uses an unusual personal
identification in referring to himself as “the disciple whom Jesus loved” (Jn.
13:23; 19:26; 20:2; 21:7,20). To know that Jesus loved him was the most
wonderful thing in John's life. We teach little children to sing, “Jesus loves
me, this I know, for the Bible tells me so”. Anyone who has been saved over six
months should know that. But when the spiritual reality of that seeps into a
darkened heart, that should blow our mind. Spiritually I haven't come that far
yet. It is the joy of my life to know that I belong to Jesus, but, knowing a
little of the depravity of my wicked heart (Jer. 17:9), throws a veil over my
eyes making it difficult for me to see the inner nature of the heart of Christ.
Zephaniah told us an amazing thing about the heart of God when he wrote, “The
Lord thy God in the midst of thee is mighty, He will save, He will rejoice over
thee with joy, He will rest in His love, He will joy over thee with singing”
(Zeph. 3:17). I can acknowledge with my mind that this is true, but to let the
depths of that truth to seep deeply in my frozen heart is difficult. But when
it does, the heart melts and tears flow.
In the first two verses of this series
discussing respective possession, this is followed by the remark that Jesus is “feeding
among the lilies”. We know from S. of S. 2:1.2 that a Christian is a lily.
We find Jesus' present activity is feeding in Christian fellowships. Jesus
promised that when two or three of His followers were gathered in His Name He
would grace that fellowship with His presence. Praise God this is true. I am
not sure what the verb “feeding” means. In English and Hebrew it has two
meanings. It could mean feeding a baby, or it could mean eating yourself. In
Ezek. 34:2, we see the Lord rebuking the shepherds of Israel for feeding
themselves and not feeding the flock. In S. of S. we see the believer pleading “Let
my Beloved come into His garden and eat His pleasant fruit”. Where the real
Body of Christ is gathered that must bring real satisfaction to Jesus.
But in 7:10 we see the emphasis is not
so much over the cooperate Body of Christ as it is over the personal
relationship. Here it says “His desire is towards ME”. If that doesn't
sum up everything in life I don't know what does. It is one thing to know that
I am saved, but it is far more wonderful to know that I belong to Jesus. But
then to think His desire might be towards me. Gomen Phyllis, that one just goes
out of sight. We see this dimly here but what will it be when the Wedding day
comes and we see Him as He is. Imagination fails me, but I suspect I will be
pretty good.
Oh Lord, open my dim eyes and let me
see a little more of the reality of Your heart. For Jesus sake.
bill
No comments:
Post a Comment