It’s Sunday again and I don’t have a thing to say. This past
week has been a fairly busy one here as they have started construction on this
building big time. With China
pleading for more of the written Word of God, Roald has purchased a new super
press but the machine is too tall to fit in our new building. To accommodate
this new machine they have to sink the floor a couple of feet. I had to tear
out the former dressing room and a very long table (30 ft.) where they loaded
the paper to go into the presses. After demolishing that table then I had to
make a new one to fit the new location. Much of the time I feel like it is
charity that they keep me on staff, but occasionally the Lord does provide some
project that gives me a little sense of worth to NLL. I probably will be pretty
busy for the rest of this month and then I will be heading south on the 6th
of Dec. I have a 60-day open ticket so it may be February when I get back to Japan .
The big news of this week has been the US
election. It is utterly indescribable. I wonder what is happening there. My
favorite daily Christian broadcast his Rush Limbaugh who is on FEN for one hour
from 6:00 –7:00 PM . If it wasn’t for Rush I don’t know what I would
think but I was amazed that he was so far off in calling this one. He laid up a
good argument for a major victory but it seems like the poor country just died.
Election Day I listened frequently to hear the results and was relieved when
the major net works called it a Bush victory. Now it looks like the day after a
nuclear war where there is no winner. It may be settled by the time this letter
gets there but today the scene looks like both sides lost.
Vance Havener once preached an interesting message on
“Getting home before dark”. One of the points was that the sun is setting on
this poor civilization and he didn’t want to be around after the lights went
out. How I earnestly agree with him. The future for America
looks desperately grim. The only bright spot might be that things could get so
bad there could be open persecution of the Church in America ;
and that could produce some Christian heroes. I honestly fear the only thing
that will save the Church is open persecution. Of course there would be heart
rending failures by many, but if there is nothing there to start with you
haven’t lost anything when the mask falls off and reality is revealed. I don’t
know if FEN is representative of the US
culture, but if it is, then it is all over folks! The music (?) is more demonic
than anything I ever envisioned was possible. I can’t understand most of the
lyrics, and that is probably just as well. But the most of the garbage I hear
is shocking that anyone ever recorded it, and more bewildering that it should
be played over the air. There is no definition whereby it could be called music
and the performers are talentless demoniacs screaming into microphones like
drunks who have shouted themselves hoarse at a NFL football game. I don’t
believe there is any question but the main purpose for heavy-metal is to
destroy the hearing of young people so they can’t hear the Gospel or Christian
music. One friend told me before she got saved she didn’t enjoy music until the
sound was up to the physical pain level in the eardrum. That means loss of
hearing. But the stuff that I hear on FEN now seems more geared to the
destruction of the main nervous system. I don’t know how anyone could listen to
that stuff long without being seriously affected. It gets to me in 30 seconds.
This poor world reminds me of the fall of Dang Nang and Saigon .
Both of those places were in pure pandemonium. Over a million people panicking
to get out and the communist shelling the refugees with mortar fire.
But, praise God, where we are going the music will again be
melodious. Do you remember the TEAM Music
Night in Karuizawa in 1966? Bernie Holdritz sang I’m Am A Pilgrim. If memory
serves me right I believe you led that concert that night, Ted. What an event!
There was Lavern Courtney, Lucia Schone, Jim Knole, Bernie; Allen Fadel and Loren
McCall were in a quartet, and I believe Betty Lyons and Jane Fadel played the
pianos. You ultimately made a record, but I will never forget what it was like
to sit there and soak up the Spirit in the Union Church. Oh, that was like
heaven! Oh, how I admired that gang; how I looked up to those people! To me
they were giants of missionaries. The Brannen family in Nagoya
was a legend that has never been repeated. We didn’t realize it at the time but
that was a golden moment. We all knew each other so well we saw more of the
clay than the Spirit, but Christ was in our midst. There were always fights at TEAM
conference, but somehow the work still went on. I wonder if Japan
ever saw a finer group of servants than were here in those days. I can close my
eyes right now still see where I was sitting a third of the way back on the
right hand side in the Union Church as we worshipped the Lord that Music Night.
I can still hear that singing in my heart as clear as it was that night. Even
now tears run down my face I as relive that moment. I can hear Bernie singing
“I am a pilgrim I can tarry I can tarry but a night.” And I believe it was Ted
Brannen standing up there leading the music. I wonder if the angels didn’t put
their harps down to listen to the singing that night. Oh Ted, Ted… Phyllis,
Phyllis it is not over yet! That was just the rehearsal! What will it be when
we have the real performance!
How I wish I was with you now. I would love to sit down
together a listen. All week I have been wondering what is going on in your
hearts. I am not so spiritual as to ignore the reality of your limitations. I
talk about envy but I also realize there is a price to pay for the people who
sit in the box seats. I have spoken with people who have suffered unimaginably
in prison and yet – with tears – say they almost miss the blessing of those
days. Richard Wurmbrand said, “Oh blessed communism that has given us such
rapturous hours with our heavenly Bridegroom!” I can believe that. Those folks
who have been wrenched from their families and everything that is dear and
tortured beyond our comprehension have entered a different dimension of
communion with Christ that is unknown in the free world. People who pay such a
high price have the advantage of getting better seats to hear the singing in
heaven.
I complain bitterly
about my loneliness, and yet this is what the Lord has prescribed for me to
shut me more up to Himself. I can’t imagine what it would be like to be
partially paralyzed and not be able to speak, but I can believe the Lord would
do something like this to shut someone up to Himself. At first it would be
terrible. Wurmbrand said it was a long time after his arrest before his soul
caught up to him in prison. He said his soul remained behind with his family.
But as time passed his soul settled down in the prison cell with his body. I
suspect it would be the same way with you there. It would take some time to
acclimate to your new environment. I know the first several months after
Rosemary left; just living seemed almost impossible for me. Jay was with me and
we were grasping at straws like drowning men. I must have been a terrible trial
to the few friends around me. Most people thought I was a little seishin
(mental) and it is true that I certainly wasn’t normal. But ultimately things
do settle down and then we can listen better. I wonder what you can hear. You
should be close enough to get glimpses of the City and hear a little of the
singing.
Perhaps we should forget the moral decay around us and fix
our eyes on heaven. Perhaps the time of singing has come. (Song of Sol. 2:12).
Thank you again for the privilege of writing you. This is the best I have felt
all week.
In
the gracious arms of Jesus, bill
No comments:
Post a Comment