Dear Phyllis,
Man howdy, did we have church last Thursday! That is the
Bible study we have at Scott’s house. Our two regular Thai brothers had other
things to do. Only Mannf ord came. I really
wondered at the wisdom in having a Bible study, and Mannf ord
was dragging anchor badly. He had a bad headache, and requested that we not go
on too long. With his bad headache, he wanted to get home as soon as possible,
and I thought that was a good idea. But we asked Jesus to meet with us and heal
Mannf ord’s headache.
Seldom has the Word been more powerf ul.
We covered the entire 8th chapter of
John in a way like I have never read it. I had no intention of
going the f ull two hours of
Bible study, but when we f inished at 9:00 PM , we all were marvelously ref reshed,
and Mannf ord said, “My headache is nearly
totally gone.”
John is absolutely unique as a book in the Bible. The
synoptic gospels (Matt., Mark , Luke) tell the
story of Jesus, but John gives us a unique
look into the heart of Jesus, and His relationship
with the Father. There is no other place in the Bible that gives us such an
intimate view of that relationship. As we read
those passages I asked, “What verbs are used to describe Jesus’ relationship
with His f ather?” It was ref reshing
as the others accurately pulled them out. “The things that I have HEARD (vrs, 26, 40), The things that I Seen (vr. 38), My Father hath TAUGHT
Me (vr. 29), the Father SENT Me (vrs. 16, 18, 26, 29, 42), I always DO those things which pleas Him (vr.
29).
I asked, “Do these verbs and this relationship that Jesus
had with the Father have any bearing on us today?” With deep conviction, Mannf ord
replied, “They most certainly do; especially in this evil generation.” I asked,
“In order to hear, what is the requirement to hear?” Mannf ord
properly replied, “We must listen.” In order to be taught what must we have? A
teachable spirit. The Word was as instructive to us as it ever gets.
The chapter started out with a loaded no-win situation that
the enemies of Jesus conf ronted
Him with – the woman taken in adultery. They trapped Him by saying, “Moses told
us to kill her. What do You say?” Either way Christ loses. Instead of
an either-or answer, He replied, “He that is without sin let him cast the f irst
stone.”, and quietly wrote on the ground. I asked, “What do you think Jesus
wrote on the ground?” Of course the Bible doesn’t
tell us. We are lef t to own speculation, but
there are many possibilities. One possibility is I, II, III, IV of
the Ten commandments. Another one is the names of
the girl f riends of
the ones who brought the woman to Jesus. Another one is the name of
the man she was having sex with. This had to be a set up. Obvious this whole
thing was a trap and one of their own men was
the other partner.
But once the crowd was whittled down to zero with everyone going
home under deep conviction of their own
personal sin, then Jesus went af ter them.
Verse 12 starts out, “Then spake Jesus again unto them…” The conf rontive
language that Jesus used in this chapter is shocking. In today’s
politically-proper speech environment that language is unthinkable. “You are f rom beneath, I am f rom above”
(vr.23), “You shall die in your sins” (vr. 24), “You are of your f ather the devil” (vrs, 41, 44), “The lusts
of your f ather you will do” (vr. 44). “If God were
your f ather you would love me” (vr. 42). “You say
God is your f ather but you have not known Him” (vrs, 54,
55). “If I said it, I would be a liar like you”
(vr. 55). Oh my goodness that is ref reshing
to read! That kind of speech is strictly f orbidden
in Japan . We
must be caref ul to say “we” and “our” –
certainly not “YOU”. It makes me sick to my stomach to hear the gutless “men of
God” (?) today who are so caref ul abut speech
so as not to of f end
anyone. The TV screen would have gone blank if
Billy Graham had ever used language like that. That kind of
speech would have been censored out as f our
letter words. Norman Vincent Peal would have been appalled at the suggestion of
ever using that kind of speech in public. Small
wonder that today’s evangelism lacks the power of
conviction of sin that characterized Finney’s preaching.
Tonikaku (anyway) we had a terrif ic
time last Thursday going over John 8.
The reason I am sending this letter out today is because our
trip to Laos got
slid back 24 hours. In a f ew hours I will be
on a bus headed f or Laos .
There is another brother here who is in bad shape f or
a visa. We are going to give it a go at the Thai embassy in Vientiane . If we can
get one year visas in Laos ,
that will solve a huge problem f or me f or
one year. If I can’t get a visa, then I will
be up against a wall to know what to do. I could try Malaysia
or Jakarta , Indonesia ,
but each time I go somewhere my f inances get
lower. I would love to go to Japan ,
but, as I have told you bef ore, I lost my home
there two years ago.
My heart is with Jeanna Crane. Scott and I went to the
prison last Wednesday but we were told that they had some deal going on, and
things were closed f or us that day. And we
won’t be able to get in again until sometime in January.
The reason I am concerned f or
her is because she has been totally convinced f or
several months that the Lord had promised her that she would be released
sometime bef ore winter. Of f icially
winter starts today. That means that all of Jeanna’s
guidance was a f alse hope. I have been quietly
warning her about that f or sometime, and yet
at the same time I didn’t want to be a prophet of
unbelief if
the Lord had actually spoken to her about a miraculous release.
I am sure there has not been one child of
God since the days of John the Baptist to the
present that hasn’t had some disappointing experience where they were sure the
Lord had promised them some thing only to have “their f aith”
shattered. These head-snappers are hard to deal with. I have had so many that I
have come to expect disappointment to be the norm rather than the exception.
The problem is that Jeanna is a new believer. She has had very little
experience in trusting God f or miracles. She has
read an enormous number of excellent Christian
books. Unf ortunately all these books only
emphasize the good stories. They tell of all
the times when God has promised to His servants impossibilities and then f ulf illed
them. They don’t tell about the time when sincere servants have f ully
believed God f or something, only to see it go
south in the most crushing way.
The last time I spoke with Jeanna I shared with her the 10th
Beatitude. There are 9 Beatitudes in Matt. 5, but the 10th is in Lk.
7:23 – Blessed is he, whosever shall
not be of f ended
in Me. It is amazing that the person this was addressed to was John the Baptist.
When Jesus showed up on the scene, John had every reason to believe that, now
that the Messiah is here, things will be dif f erent.
He had the prophecy about the ax being laid to the root of
the bad tree, the f an being in His hand, and
the chaf f
being burned up (Mt. 3:9-12). He naturally was certain that the guys in the
black hats would be in bad shape now, and the good guys were about to come out
on top. When he was arrested, I suspect he had a grin on his f ace
and thought. “This will be interesting. Wait until Jesus hears about this.
Herod is gong to be in trouble – BIG TIME”. But weeks and months went by.
Nothing worked out the way that John expected it to happen. At last he sent
some disciples to Jesus to ask, “Are you the One we have been waiting f or
or should we look f or another?” (Lk. 7:19).
Jesus told the messengers to tell John what they had just seen and heard; then
he added, “One more thing. Tell John, blessed is the man who is not of f ended
in Me.” How many times has that scene been repeated since then?
We have our expectations. We have our f aith.
We f irmly believe that the Lord will do just
as we believe He has promised us. We have all of
our verses and proof promises. We have all the
evidences of our guidance leading us to believe
God f or miracles. And it doesn’t work out that
way.
I wish I could be there to be a saf ety
next f or Jeanna, but it will be several weeks
blank bef ore we can get in again to see her.
The Lord alone will have to be with her and strengthen her in her
disappointment, that her f aith was ill-f ounded.
These are dif f icult
things to deal with.
But Rom. 8:28 is still
a f act, and they Lord has chosen something
more important f or Jeanna through this experience
than an early release. She will get out in time. Of f icially
she still has another year to serve – which is miraculously short f or
murder. She killed her husband. Somehow the Lord must make this f ailure
in f aith a strengthening experience f or
her.
My problem is trust the Lord f or
a Thai visa.
Hopef ully, I will see you next
week at this our seat of f ellowship, bill
No comments:
Post a Comment