Dear Phyllis,
When Joe Carroll first came
to Japan in 1954, his ship docked first at Yokkaichi . They had never met before, but Miss Whewell had
heard about Joe. He was not planning on getting off the ship but Betty went to
the dock to meet him, and dragged him off to Tomida Hama to preach. Joe was up
on the platform thundering away the Gospel, and gave an invitation for salvation.
No one moved. Betty got down off the platform where she was interpreting, and
started going around the crowd. She would grab someone by the ear and demand, “You
get up there! You have been here long enough. It is high time you got saved
tonight.” Joe was dumbfounded. He thought, “Who does that woman think she is –
the Holy Spirit?” Astoundingly, the ones that she would hail forward would
dutifully stand up, go forward, and get saved. And stayed saved! Betty Whewell
may not have been the Holy Spirit but she came close to thinking she was the
fourth member of the Trinity.
When I was there in the 1960s
Mino Mission
was one of the finest missions in Japan . There was an intense sense of the presence of God in
the place. The believers were some of the best Christians in the country and
their testimonies were like flames of fire. The meetings were tremendous. To be
a believer at Mino Mission
you had to make a complete break with Japanese culture. Like the Mennonites,
they were a strong sub-culture. You had to virtually renounce your Japanese
citizenship. But for those who did, they knew that their citizenship was in heaven;
“for they desired a better country, that is an heavenly, wherefore God is not
ashamed to be called their God, for He hath prepared for them a city” (Heb. 11:16 ). There wasn’t one Japanese name for children among
the believers. Every child in the mission had Bible names. Pastor Ishiguro’s
sons were Isaac, John, and David. His daughter was Ruth. Everything at Mino
Mission was intensely black and white. There was no gray
whatsoever in the place. They knew if they were solidly on Jesus’ side, He
would be solidly on their side. But if they were half-and-half, they knew it
was pointless to expect Jesus to take much of a stand with them. And, man
howdy, Jesus stood up for them!
Brother Sato was the ships
mate on a famous ocean freighter. He was second to the captain. This was a tremendous
position for any Japanese in 1954. But like all Japanese ships there was an
idol in the control cabin. He took a strong stand against that idol and told
the captain, “Either take that idol out or take me out”. The idol stayed. His
parents were furious! That was about as stupid as it gets; to sacrifice such a
lucrative job for such a small issue as working in the same room with an idol.
But the next time that ship went to sea, the Lord sank that ship to the bottom
of the Marianna trench (the deepest place on earth). There was one survivor –
brother Sato standing on the dock. Every man on board perished. Brother Sato’s
parents had deep respect for his God after that.
In September 1959 Ise-wan
typhoon came straight up Nagoya
bay and devastated the city. Tomida Hama was right on the beach and took the
full brunt of that historic typhoon. A month later I was down in that area
flying low level in my F-86 fighter. At 1,500 feet I saw a ship sitting in a
rice field so far from the bay that I couldn’t see the coast. The testimonies
of what happened then were legion. In Nagoya there were over 5,000 people killed, but for a 1 km
radius around Mino Mission
not one person perished.
There was a hard-head 90 year
old idolatrous obaa chan (grandmother) who lived across the street from the
church. When the ocean came up and 12
feet of water covered that entire area that obaa chan floated on a tatami mat
all night. She called on the name of the God of Mino
Mission and miraculous was saved. The next morning when the
water went down she was a firm believer in Jesus and burned all her idols. Obaa
chan was at every meeting for the next ten years.
When I was with the mission
in 1964 we passed out a quarter of a million tracts. One night Fuji san was standing in front of the church passing out
tracts to people passing by. A 19 year old girl was riding her bicycle pass him
on her way to commit suicide. Fuji san stepped in front of her to stop her, and gave her
a tract. Rather than committing suicide, Nakanishi san went into the church and
was saved that night. That had happened two years before I was there, but every
time Nakanishi san would give her testimony, it would bring tears to your eyes.
I hadn’t been to the mission for 25 years, but two years ago, when I was in Japan , I stopped by for a brief visit. When I got to the mission
a radiant, white hair, Bible-woman, obaa chan screamed, “Cook san!”, when she
saw me. I looked at her and asked, “Are you Nakanishi san?” It was. She is still
burning with fire with love for Jesus.
One of the Bible-women had
tongue cancer. The doctor said the only thing that would save her life would be
surgery to remove her tongue. Betty Whewell put her foot down. She said, “God
gave you that tongue to praise Him, and we are not going to allow any Buddhist
doctor cut it out”. Poor Hirono san certainly didn’t want the surgery, but if
that was the only thing to save her life, she was in favor of it. When Miss
Whewell refused to allow her to have the surgery, she resignedly said, “Shigata
ga nai. Shinoo.” (Nothing can be done. I’ll die). Miraculously, they were able
to get her in the Tokyo Cancer Center , which was the best hospital in the country. There
was one other option, but a tough one. They could stick 12 large radio active
darning needles in her jaw, converging on the cancer at the base of her tongue.
It was very painful with a low prognosis of success. For one week Hirono san
had the needles struck in her jaw but said it wasn’t that bad. She was up
everyday cheerfully praying, reading her Bible. A week later they pulled the
needles out of her jaw and she was clean of cancer. She lived for another 30
years faithfully serving the Lord.
The Lord honored Betty
Whewell’s total commitment to Christ like few people I have ever known. But her
tyrannical dominating spirit was deadly. Over the years 50 believers left the
church to go to another church in Yokkaichi . In 1988 I was invited to speak there for a Sunday
morning service. It was the first time in many years that I had been to the
mission. It was terrible. The atmosphere was radically different. The believers
sat there like manikins with waxy forced smiles and plastic joy. It was like
preaching to the dead in a morgue. After that I said, “Never again.” Five years later I met a boy in the Ikoma Pentecostal Bible School who turned out to be a believer from Tomida Hama. He
said, “Were you the man who preached on Micah 7:18 ?” I was stunned he could remember the message. I told
him what a bad time that was that Sunday. He replied, “No, that was one of the
best services of the year.”
Over the years I have watched
the transition of many churches. Nothing is static. I saw Mino
Mission when it was one of the finest churches in Japan and when it was one of the worst. A militant stand
for Jesus brought blessing and tyrannical legalism brought death. Two years ago
I was in the area and really didn’t want to go there, but I thought I should
stop by. I was delighted to see that Pastor Ishiguro’s son, Isaac, is now the
pastor. At one time he had to break the death grip and go on following the Lord
against the fierce opposition of Miss Whewell and his father. His father later
apologized to him and said, “You were right.” Dear Isaac is 50 years old today
and is a real man of God. The Lord is again visiting Mino
Mission .
Praise God!
bill
No comments:
Post a Comment