Sunday, August 4, 2013

Zeph 3:17

4 August 2013


Dear Phyllis,


This past week has been a relatively good one. As you know my life has been changing like a kaleidoscope, and the brakes have been slammed on what I thought was a major move in my life. The potential for stress has been high, but the other day the Lord met with me with a verse that has blown me away. In a search for other things, I found myself reading Zephaniah. There was a verse that was underlined in my Bible that arrested my attention. The more I thought about it, the more the reality of that verse gripped my soul. There is no way I can reduce to three pages all that the Lord has been saying to me through that verse, and it is doubtful that I can discuss it as meaningfully as it is to me.


The verse is Zeph. 3:17 – “The Lord thy God in the midst of thee is mighty; He will save, He will rejoice over thee with joy, He will rest in His love, He will joy over thee with singing.” Oh my goodness, the shelves would sag under the weight of the books that should be written about that truth. It is so wonderful it seems almost like sacrilege even to discuss it. Every word are Load Star diamonds.


The opening remark, “The Lord THY GOD”, got a tremendous grip on me. Oh the joy to be able to say the Lord is my God. There are so many gods in this world. We live in a country where 99% of the people look to a piece of stone or wood to be their god. The emptiness; the hopelessness, the sickening emptiness of a life where that is all you have for a god. To know that my God is the One who made all things, He is above all things, and He is in control of all things. That alone should be enough to take all the stress out of life.


Then the next two reminders – in the midst of thee, and He is mighty. To be reminded that He is not in some distant heaven, but He is actually here with me and in me. To know that he is slam in the middle of all the turmoil going on in and around me. And, of course, He is mighty. He really doesn't have His hands tied. Any problem I may have is not beyond the reach of His arms. He is mighty. Hallelujah!


But then the next four HE s are off the chart. He will save. He will rejoice. He will rest. He will sing. Oh my goodness what more can you say? When I read that declaration HE WILL SAVE – I thought, “Well there is the end of all my problems. He will save”. I don't need to know any more than that. If He has promised, “He will save”, it is futile to worry about what is going to happen. I know the bottom line – He will save.


There is one problem here that sometimes salvation needs to be defined. The Lord's salvation and ours may not be the same. But regardless what it is, I will buy His salvation. Not every one with terminal sickness is healed. Not everyone with financial problems are delivered. I'm sure Watchman Nee and thousands of his followers believed in the Lord's salvation that he would be released from prison. But those with terminal sickness sometimes find themselves marvelously healed in heaven. Those with financial problem sometimes find that their dreaded failure was only the door that brought them out of chains of one business to the freedom of something far more profitable. I knew a brother in Japan that went bankrupt over a note to cosign with an unsaved brother. It cost him his business but he wound up a pastor. In eternity I am sure he thanks God for that release. The last word that Watchman Nee was ever able to get out of prison was “I still remain joyful at heart”. I believe much of the present revival in China today can be traced to Watchman Nee's suffering in prison. Wang Ming Dao and Watchman Nee were both contemporary mighty men of God in China. Both were imprisoned. After 23 years Wang Ming Dao was released and continued to have a tremendous ministry for several more years. Watchman Nee never came out. Of the two men, I believe Watchman Nee is by far the greatest and his salvation is the most spectacular. I don't know what will happen to me, but I do know that He will save.


Salvation is the central point of Zeph. 3:17, but the next three He s are so descriptive, and tell us so much about His heart – He will rejoice, He will rest, He will sing.


When read that my mind went to Eph. 1:18,19. In Ephesians we have two Pauline prayers, that I believe are his finest. In his first prayer in Eph. 1:17-23, Paul prayed that they would know... .In his second prayer in Eph. 3:16-19 he prayed that they would be filled... . Paul's prayer in chapter one has always been a mystery to me. Somehow I always felt that Paul got his pronouns mixed up. He prayed that they would know the hope of His calling and the riches of the glory of His inheritance in the saints. It seemed to me that he got that backwards. If he wanted to talk about our inheritance in Christ I can easily buy that. But to talk about the riches of the glory of His inheritance in the saints, that didn't make much sense.


But this is what Zeph 3:17 is talking about – His joy; His rest, His singing. The main point of salvation is not what we get out of it, but what He gets out of it. With our humanistic mentality, this is a hard one to get a hold of. I know of no way of solving the mystery, but it is highly instructive to realize the price the Father placed on us is the Blood of His Son. Somehow we all know that. The very concept of ransom means buying something back. The price for a soul is the Blood of Christ. I can see why the Apostle prayed that the Father would give to the Ephesians the spirit of wisdom, revelation and knowledge; that they might know the hope of His calling. We need that more desperately than they did. Somehow the Lord gets tremendous glory out of saving us. For one thing it is the revelation of His character. Had Adam never sinned, we never would have known the depth of the love of God. It is easy to love a nice person. But it is glory to love and pay such a price for a bad person. That is the one that makes us scratch our heads. And the Father is so pleased with His purchase that He rejoices over it with real joy.


Sometimes we rejoice over things regardless of the circumstances, simply because it is the will of God. Mable Carroll had a very hard time with her third pregnancy. The sack burst at five months and she had to be immobilized for four months in a hospital. Everything was normal except she went into labor early. The baby turned out to be a boy. She screamed for joy. But then the infant stopped breathing. The doctor pick him up and got him going again. Then he quit. It was a futile struggle until the doctor lost the battle and the baby died. Joe and Mabel were devastated. But when they wheeled Mable back to her ward room, Joe said, “Now we must thank the Lord for the wonderful thing He did for us today.” That was tough. But there is nothing forced with God. He is so pleased He rejoices with joy.


And the thing that brings Him so much satisfaction is that He can rest in His love. You can't do much better than that. If He had to rest in my love there might be a knot in His stomach. If I had to rest in my love, I would say, “Forget it. It ain't gonna hold”. My love is too shallow and vacillating. But there is such enormous strength in the love of the Father He can rest assured that it will prevail and I will be saved.


Perhaps the most amazing statement is that the Father is so pleased with His salvation in saving us that He burst out singing. After Paul commands believers to be filled with the Spirit, he then explains one of the surest proofs of the fullness of the Spirit is a song in the heart. How many times have we heard that. By our own experience, and listening to the testimonies of others, it is common that after someone is delivered from darkness and brought into wonderful light, suddenly they have a song in their heart. There is so much joy that it demands expression by bursting out singing. Isn't that amazing? The Father is so pleased with His salvation that He bursts out singing.


Oh my goodness, if this is true, where is my problem? To know that the Lord is my God and remember that He is with me and He is mighty. Then to hear that declaration “He will save”. More than that this brings Him so much pleasure He rejoices over me with joy, He rests in His love, and He has burst out singing!!! Man howdy, what more can you say? Luther expressed it so well when he wrote, “What more can He say than to you He has said; to you who for refuge to Jesus have fled?”


Yes, it has been a pretty good week. Materially not much has happened. And yet some major things have happened. Last week, Pammy''s sister came to visit us; and it seems that Pastor Kichikun led her to Christ. When I first heard that testimony I was dubious, but what I have heard since then makes it sound very real. She has broken off with all known sin, and her involvement with the devil. She is reading her Bible with joy and seems to have song in her heart. If she sticks with Jesus, that will be a huge victory. That makes everything else worth while.


Monday Pammy went to a doctor who said she had thyroid problems. Tuesday Pammy went with her sister back to Lampan, 100 km away, and went to a specialist. She had a blood test that showed her thyroid was almost off the scale. The normal thyroid is supposed to be 4, and Pammy's turned out to be 30. The doctor said it was a wonder that she hadn't had a heart attack or some serious problem. That doctors report explained a lot of things that I have been aware of, but never took too seriously. For some time Pammy has been complaining every morning that her eyes were swollen, and she had a fervor. I said, “Yea, yea, you will feel better after you get up.” But swollen eyes is a major symptom of thyroid malfunction. And the fervor seems to be bonefide. I had so much of this with Rosemary, who was always complaining about physical problems – most of which were imaginary – that I never took Pammy too seriously. But this put new light on the subject. She has chronically complained about having no energy. Again this is a common symptom. The doctor has given her some pills that seem to be helping. The usual dose is one pill a day, but he told her to take four.


Pammy has been staying in Lampan since Tuesday with her sister, and stayed down there today to take her sister to church. I agree with that 100%. I am pleased that she found a doctor that put his finger on what apparently is a major physical problem. It is good that she is getting help. And I am pleased that she is there with her sister to pray with her every day, and help her in her initial steps in getting established in a good church, and basic instructions in following the Lord. All of that is highly in the plus column. Pammy says she will be home tonight.


There are some major problem that I mentioned last week that have never been dealt with. Her attitude, at the moment, is very good, but it is yet to be seen how we will make out in dealing with bedrock problems that have plagued us from the beginning.


Zeph 3:17 has been a wonderful tonic for me, but I have told the Lord that my salvation is not the central issue. The glory of God is! The honor of Jesus is everything. What happens to me is of little consequence, but we don't dishonor the Name of Jesus. That is the vital issue. Whether or not I am saved is incidental, but I am desperately concerned that I want my life, my wife, my marriage, and everything associated with me to be a credit to the Lord. If the Lord will join me in this concern I will be forever grateful. Isn't that ridiculous? Ya'll pray for us, heya. (That is southern for please pray.)


                                                                                                               bill





No comments:

Post a Comment