28 June 2020
Dear Phyllis,
My
times with Jesus every morning continue to be unusual. This is probably
the most productive moment of my life. Every morning Jesus takes me
into His treasure house and shows me things that cannot be seen outside.
As I have frequently said, there is a fundamental difference between
soul ad spirit. The spirit is as much different from the soul as the
soul is different from the body. Every one understands the relationship
between the soul and the body.. The body is simply the vessel or vehicle
that the soul lives in. When the soul leaves the body what you have
left is a corpse. The soul is the vessel that the spirit lives in. They
are as different as water is from air. Fish and birds are different. The
environment that they live in is different. The soul lives in the
material world and the spirit lives in the spirit world. The greatest
enemy of the spirit is the mind. The soul is comprised by the intellect, emotions, and the will.
The mind is the intellect. And the intellect can assume two postures –
it can be the teacher or the student. By nature the mind want to stand
at the white board with the marker in hand as the teacher. But if we can
only persuade the mind to sit down as a quiet student and listen that
enables the Holy Spirit to share with us things that cannot be
understood by the natural mind (1 Cor. 2:14,15).
Recently
I have been stuck in Revelation. I read it over and over and each time
it gets richer. The other morning I was going over chapter 1 again. I
saw John on the island of Patmos and hearing a voice behind him
speaking. When he turned around to see who (what) was speaking he saw
Seven Candle sticks that were Seven Churches. That was a disappointment.
Why in the world did he see seven churches? Because this is the
manifestation of God during this age. For 33 years God was manifest in
the flesh in Christ, but now, for the past 2,000 years, God has lived on
this planet in the flesh of His believers. But then John saw the Son of
Man standing in the midst of the Seven Churches. That's better. If that
is Jesus I can believe that. That makes more sense. But the first thing
John noticed about Jesus was that He was clothed with a garment. I
asked the Holy Spirit why John saw Jesus in a garment. He said, “Because
that is what Jesus wore”.
In
1960 Joe Carroll was in Chicago speaking at Mid-America Keswick
Conference. A lady came up to him and asked if it was cold in Japan. He
said, “Yes, it is very cold”. She asked if his wife would like a fur
coat. “Yes, that would be very nice. She would appreciate that very
much”. She gave him a fur coat that he threw in his suit case to take
home. When Mable saw that coat that gasped, “This is a mink coat!” Mable
took that mink coat to a furrier in Tokyo to have it appraised and he
said, “I will give you $3,000 for it right now”. In todays money that
would probably be somewhere between $30,000 to $50,000. When Joe learned
that his wife had that kind of an expensive fur coat he said, “You must
never wear that thing in public. If any one saw you wearing a $3,000
mink coat we would be finished”. In 1962 they had the World speed
skating championship in Karuizawa. People came from all over the world
to see this Olympic event. The Olympic officials were staying at the
Hoshino hotel and because we were friends with the Hoshinos they gave us
tickets to the box seats that were the most expensive seats in the
stadium. One day I went with Joe and Mable to the skating championship
games and we sat with the elites of Japan. All three of us looked like
wood cutters that had just come out of the woods, bundled up with
whatever warm clothes we had. Mable had on a ragged cotton coat and a
scarf over her head that looked like the cleaning lady in the eki (train
station). The ritzy people sitting around us looked at us like they
were embarrassed to have us sitting there. Joe turned to me and said, “You wouldn't believe Mable has a $3,000 mink coat on under that cotton one.”
There wasn't a woman in the stadium that wouldn't kill to have a coat
like that. If Mable had taken her cotton coat off, women would be
crowding around to have heir picture taken with her.
When
Jesus came here He wore a garment. That is why when John saw the Son of
Man standing in the midst of the Seven Churches the first thing he saw
was Jesus wearing a garment. But what a garment! The garment that He
wore was a poor carpenter from Nazareth. Who would believe under that
garment was the Son of God who created the world. But apart from the
garment John saw four things about Jesus – His hair, His eyes, His belt,
and His feet.
His
hair was white which stands for wisdom. His eyes were a flame of fire
which is what His enemies are going to see when they stand before Him in
judgment. His girdle (belt) stand for the authority that He had both to
forgive sin on this earth and as Lord of nature. And His feet were like
fine brass. In Moses's Tabernacle and Solomon's Temple the Brass Altar
was where the sacrifices for the forgiveness for sin were burned. The
fact that Jesus' feet looked like brass means that He has our sins under
His feet
When
the Holy Spirit showed me what John saw when he saw Jesus standing in
the midst of the Seven Churches with a garment on, the first thing that
came to my mind was the priest garment. Jesus is, of course, our High
Priest (Heb. 5:9,10). The High Priest wore a special garment. The Holy
Spirit has made quite an issue of the priest garment in telling us so
much about it when He told Moses to make the Tabernacle. We have the
details of the priest garment in Ex. 28:1-30. One of the main features
of the priest garment is the Breast Plate that he wore upon his heart.
On the Breast Plate there were 12 stones.
These
12 stones have always been a mystery to me. We not only see them here
is Exodus but they also appear I specific detail in the wall of the New
Jerusalem. In Rev. 21:18-20. For years I have seen that these stones are
important and have tried to study them but I never could make any sense
of them. The other morning I asked the Holy Spirit, “What do these
stones mean? Why are they important?” The Holy Spirit answered me in one
word - “Gems” They are jewels. That is why they are important. The
Lord's people are His jewels. In Malachi 3:17 the Lord said, “They shall
be Mine, in the day when I make up my jewels”. They are gems to Him.
Oh, me, this turned the lights on! Yes they are. God's people are jewels
to Him. They are gems. That is why the priest has a Breast Plate with
12 jewels on it and why he bears their names on his shoulders. Oh, the
teaching here is tremendous. Christians here may not look like much to
us but to God they are His jewels. Oh my goodness! This blows my mind.
How can it be? Jesus came here and He bought some of the most worthless
items on the planet with His Blood. I can't believe it. He included me
in the mix. I am nothing but one huge minus. I am the epidemy of a
looser. I see nothing in me worth salvaging. The only appropriate place I
see where I belong is in the garbage can. And Jesus reached in to that
garbage can to pull me out. He paid for me with His Blood. (What a bad
deal!) And now He calls me a jewel that He wears upon His heart and
remembers me before God carrying me on His shoulders. If this isn't a
mystery I don't know what is.
Oh,
Phyllis, it's true! It's true! It's true! All that the Lord has told us
about Himself and us in His Word is true. Gomen, but this is more than I
can handle. What will it be when we awake with His likeness in the next
world? If what we see in this world is so staggering, that it is almost
unbelievable, how are we going to handle it in heaven?
I
don't know if any of this makes any sense to you, but all I have to say
is, it's sure good to meet with Jesus every morning, to sit and listen
what the Spirit has to share with me. It's all there if we only have
ears to listen. I'm sure you have your own story to tell.
Hoping to see you soon (in heaven), bill
No comments:
Post a Comment